Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The other bands

Go down 
+16
80s Metal Lady
MoonChild
metalinmyveins
ultmetal
Lari
sovdat
Glower
Thelemech
Temple of Blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
James B.
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Best "Under[The-Radar" album from 1983
Virgin Steele-Guardians Of The Flame
The other bands Vote_lcap14%The other bands Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Witchfinder General-Friends Of Hell
The other bands Vote_lcap27%The other bands Vote_rcap
 27% [ 6 ]
Exciter-Heavy Metal Maniac
The other bands Vote_lcap9%The other bands Vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Satan-Court In The Act
The other bands Vote_lcap5%The other bands Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Manilla Road-Crystal Logic
 9% [ 2 ]
Warlord-Deliver Us
 9% [ 2 ]
Oz-Fire In The Brain
The other bands Vote_lcap0%The other bands Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Savage-Loose 'n Lethal
The other bands Vote_lcap18%The other bands Vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Heavy Load-Stronger Than Evil
The other bands Vote_lcap5%The other bands Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
220 Volt-S/T
The other bands Vote_lcap4%The other bands Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Great year for metal releases (IMHDO)

The usual suspects aside, what do you think is the best of this little list of great music by then "under-the-radar" bands ?

Virgin Steele-Guardians Of The Flame
Witchfinder General-Friends Of Hell
Exciter-Heavy Metal Maniac
Satan-Court In The Act
Manilla Road-Crystal Logic
Warlord-Deliver Us
Oz-Fire In The Brain
Savage-Loose 'n Lethal
Heavy Load-Stronger Than Evil
220 Volt-S/T

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Loads of great albums in this list, but my favorite would be Savage - Loose 'N Lethal.  It's actually my favorite NWOBHM album.  The "signature" insane Ebony Records production job is raw as all hell and makes the album sound very powerful.  In fact, when I first listened to this album, I thought my speakers were blown because of how it sounds. Ha!  

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 pm

Exciter's Heavy Metal Maniac wins the default vote. I've had that one for some time. The Witchfinder General I just got about a year or 2 ago (very good too). Never heard the rest.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 pm

I went with Virgin Steele, mainly because it's the only one of those I've heard (which actually surprises me a bit).
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Savage, by far.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:04 pm

I went with the WF album, though I'm not really sure. The only one I've never heard is the Heavy Load record. Should look into it.

Man, Virgin Steele. I don't get that band. There is something there, but their output, in my opinion, is so inconsistent. 1/3 of their stuff is awesome US power metal, 1/3 is terrible dragging ballad-y type stuff a la the filler part of most Manowar albums, and the last third is weird (but fun) LA-sounding almost glammy metal. I don't know if those fractions are correct, but I have a bunch of albums on my iPod and songs on shuffle seem to pop in equal parts the above thirds.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Still love me some 220Volt!
Back to top Go down

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 pm

I voted for the Witchfinder General. Heavy Metal Maniac and Fire In The Brain would be my next choices.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:19 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I went with the WF album, though I'm not really sure. The only one I've never heard is the Heavy Load record. Should look into it.

Man, Virgin Steele. I don't get that band. There is something there, but their output, in my opinion, is so inconsistent. 1/3 of their stuff is awesome US power metal, 1/3 is terrible dragging ballad-y type stuff a la the filler part of most Manowar albums, and the last third is weird (but fun) LA-sounding almost glammy metal. I don't know if those fractions are correct, but I have a bunch of albums on my iPod and songs on shuffle seem to pop in equal parts the above thirds.

Virgin Steele is a baffling band. I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with the strange variety of material on each their albums. That being said, I still dig a lot of their material - cheesy or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:31 pm

"Heav-eee Met-al Mane-ee-ACK! Stand back!"

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:52 pm

WARLORD by a mile!

Although I recorded a cover song of HEAVY LOAD with CAULDRON BORN and that was a lot of fun too. Catchy song.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Witxhfinder General with Exciter closely behind.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

" Court in the act " is a very wild release -
The band's name is outrageous - of all things to pick !
Love this poll from you - as always -
bands I can check out - 1983 - I was 19 years old -
Recording Studios sounded great back then !
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Went with Manilla Road, a timeless epic classic (though not their best in my opinion). But I could pick Warlord as well, with Exciter and Satan distantly following. Haven't heard Savage and 220 Volt full lengths yet!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Witchfinder General.

I haven't heard them all. But I still voted. I don't think I ever even heard Manilla Road's Crystal Logic.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Hard to pick from that list. I went with Virgin Steele because that one blew me away back in the day, specifically Burn the Sun. Wow! What a song.

Second up would be Warlord & Manilla Road.

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 3:02 am

Satan's Court in the Act crushes the rest of the albums on your list, albeit great ones. On the other hand, I see that Heavy Load's Stronger than Evil currently has no votes, so I'll back that one up.

Self-titled albums by High Power and Tokyo Blade both deserve mentions, as well as Riot's Born in America. 1983 was a great year in metal.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 7:38 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Loads of great albums in this list, but my favorite would be Savage - Loose 'N Lethal.  It's actually my favorite NWOBHM album.  The "signature" insane Ebony Records production job is raw as all hell and makes the album sound very powerful.  In fact, when I first listened to this album, I thought my speakers were blown because of how it sounds. Ha!

I on the other hand haven't heard much of the list, but I have "Loose 'N Lethal" and it's phenomenal! It's my favorite NWOBHM album as well. There isn't a bad song on this, and the production is what makes this album so great. I couldn't believe how gritty it was when I first listened to this album a few years ago. "Let It Loose" has its special place with me, because my second ever Metallica bootleg ("One Last Visit") has (James, Lars, Dave, & Ron) jamming on this one. My second favorite song is probably "Ain't No Fit Place" or "Berlin" (Lars Favorite)

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 9:22 am

Witchfinder General for me.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 am

Painkiller wrote:

Self-titled albums by High Power and Tokyo Blade both deserve mentions, as well as Riot's Born in America. 1983 was a great year in metal.

I don't have High Power, thanks for the head 's up.

I didn't include Riot because they were known quite well in my circle of friends at the time. Same with Tokyo Blade, but not as much.

By the way, I voted for Warlord.

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 5:04 pm

James B. wrote:
I don't have High Power, thanks for the head 's up.

I didn't include Riot because they were known quite well in my circle of friends at the time. Same with Tokyo Blade, but not as much.

By the way, I voted for Warlord.
Fair enough on Tokyo Blade, although Born in America definitely falls under the classification of falling under the radar, and why Riot originally split up.

Then again, you could argue that Heavy Load was well-known among Swedish metalheads at the time. They're neither obscure nor as popular as the likes of Girlschool, yet still a quintessential band.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 7:13 pm

I need to listen to a few of these before making a decision. The only one I had on CD was Satan's. I know I've heard Warlord's and Exciter's. I need to refresh my memory of those, too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Savage!! When I first heard this album I was blown away by how good it was!!
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Hard choice..I almost went with 220 volt but went with Witchfinder General instead..all great albums though...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 pm

I do not own or ever owned any of those albums, but default, Exciter because a friend had that album when I was a teen, and I remember digging it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The other bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: The other bands   The other bands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The other bands
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next