Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )

Go down 
+3
Boris2008
Required Fields
Glower
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 8:27 pm

The trash talkin' / kilt wearing firecracker sadly passed away.
I actually spoke to him - a phone call to a Boston radio station -
He sounded tipsy - but all out excited about answering questions.
And he did tell some funny stories -
- getting high with the Iron Shiek in a limo - pulled over by cops -
Piper also was the Headliner - for the first ever - wrestlermania -
Muhamad Ali was the ref if I remember - Trump was there too greedy
Wish I had seen Hot Rod - live - in person -
Had a movie out too - John Carpenter's " Them "
Tough - fun-loving - and quite admirable !
Get in the pit !

Last edited by Glower on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 10:29 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Glower wrote:
-
Had a movie out too - John Carpenter's " Them "

He was in a phenomenal number of movies but 'Them' wasn't one of them. I think that you are thinking of 'They Live' which is an all time classic.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:08 pm

S.D. wrote:

I went to the theater to see that movie only because he was in it; I loved it then, love it now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:17 pm

I went and saw it because it was a John Carpenter movie. I was initially bummed that it wasn't Kurt Russell (who was unavailable) but Roddy won me over, he was perfect in it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 4:18 am

They Live is a classic! It's the best movie made with a former pro wrestler.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 am

On the back photo of Exodus' Bonded by Blood album, Paul Baloff has a Piper's Pit shirt on.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 7:55 am

S.D. wrote:
I went and saw it because it was a John Carpenter movie.  I was initially bummed that it wasn't Kurt Russell (who was unavailable) but Roddy won me over, he was perfect in it.  

I never knew Russell was the first choice to play Nada. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 am

While I've never labeled myself as a huge fan, there was a window back in the early/mid 80's when I watched all those WWE guys. News of his passing really bummed me out for some reason. Seeing another childhood memory get old and die I guess.

I need to re-watch 'They Live'. I haven't seen that one in 20 years easily.

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 10:46 am

007 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I went and saw it because it was a John Carpenter movie.  I was initially bummed that it wasn't Kurt Russell (who was unavailable) but Roddy won me over, he was perfect in it.  

Carpenter and Russell worked together on several films (Elvis, Escape From New York, The Thing, Big Trouble In Little China) and They Live! was originally planned to be another collaboration.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 10:49 am

S.D. wrote:
007 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Carpenter and Russell worked together on several films (Elvis, Escape From New York, The Thing, Big Trouble In Little China) and They Live! was originally planned to be another collaboration.  

Makes sense. The only collaboration out of those I haven't seen is Elvis.

And sorry to derail the thread...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 am

Oh man. I can just hear Snake Pliskin/Jack Burton saying the classic bubblegum line.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:23 pm

In a related note, sounds like Super Fly Snuka isn't doing too well these days either...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/wwe-legend-jimmy-%E2%80%98superfly%E2%80%99-snuka-battling-cancer/ar-BBln0Jl?ocid=ansWrap11

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Troublezone wrote:
On the back photo of Exodus' Bonded by Blood album, Paul Baloff has a Piper's Pit shirt on.

That's a great reply !
I'm tempted to buy that CD now.
I heard it's a 80's metal ground breaker -
never checked out Exodus - amazingly enough -
but have heard that classic title - over and over - mentioned.
Was he the drummer, perchance R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) 69126
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Glower wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

That's a great reply !
I'm tempted to buy that CD now.
I heard it's a 80's metal ground breaker -
never checked out Exodus - amazingly enough -
but have heard that classic title - over and over - mentioned.
Was he the drummer, perchance R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) 69126

R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) R-2180425-1409622253-7446.jpeg

Paul Baloff was their original lead singer.

By the way, that back cover is on the Combat Records US CD with the censored cover from 1989. It's not on the original back cover.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )   R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 ) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P - Rowdy Roddy Piper ( 61 )
Page 1 of 1