Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Going to my first metal concert!

Go down 
+9
Glower
Gilbert
nevermore
thejokeriv
Witchfinder
Required Fields
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
Hadley
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Going to my first metal concert! Empty
PostSubject: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 pm

i'm going to see Motley Crue with Alice Cooper at Mohegan Sun on the 16th! I've been to some concerts before, but never a hard rock or metal concert (closest thing was Raiding the Rock Vault in Vegas). BTW, for anyone who's seen this tour, does Cooper's set still have all the theatrics (he is the opening act, so he may not)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 12:10 am

Cool man! That should be a fun, theatrical show to see. I've never been to an Alice Cooper show, hopefully I'll get a chance to see him do a headline gig one of these days.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 8:37 am

Have fun. I've never seen the Crue (not a fan) but I did see Alice Cooper once in the early 90s and he put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 9:51 am

I've seen Alice Cooper about 8 times or so since 2003. Some times he does the theatrics and some time s he does not, or he might do a very abridged/small scale version of it--that was when he's played smaller places with less room, etc.. I've never seen him as an opener, though.

I don't see any reason he wouldn't do his whole show though, as I assume he's playing a regular set and the stage will be plenty big? I hope he does, for your sake, because it is awesome. But either way, he puts on a good show no matter what props/acts/actors he uses.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 3:19 pm

I saw Cooper back in 2003 or 2004. He put on a very entertaining show. Have a good time!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I saw Cooper open for Maiden back in 2012 a few times... would like to see him headline, he did put on a great show
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Have fun!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 3:22 am

Enjoy. I still remember my first metal concert. Great experience.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 8:21 am

THAT'S a hell of a double bill -
I have to smile at how Crue were major from L.A partiers -
and how Cooper is - now - a true road warrior -
Get their early - enjoy the crowd vibe -
I'm sure they'll be motorcycle riders there too - c'mon -
and make sure you see Cooper's first song !
I'm jealous Going to my first metal concert! 25679
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 8:51 am

I saw Alice on the Brutal Planet tour. I think Ratt and Dio were supporting. I was mostly there for Dio and didn't know much of Alice's material outside of the hits, but it was still fun. Certainly a very visual show. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same still today.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 am

Cool, better late than never. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 11:43 am

I hope your show is better than this guy's experience recently at a Motley Crue show. I kinda got a kick out of this, since I of course I've never attended a concert as bad as this.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-pro-shot-footage-of-wacken-open-air-performance/

I'll tell you both about Motley Garbage Crue then.,... Show time was 7:30 pm. They tell us there will be a delay - The show won't start until 9:30. Their stage or their production isn't there.. at all. (It never came....they threw up some half-assed lighting quickly and that was all.) At 10:30 they were still putting up lighting. Alice Cooper started at 10:40 or later...

Motley Crue (with no production, no Cruecifly, etc etc..) finally take the stage at 11:54pm. The didn't do a soundcheck and it sounded like shit at times. The mix was soooooo bad and the guitar and/or vocals would drop out or sound muddy at any given time. They rushed through a partial set and ended at 12:53am. They played a miserable, 59 minute headlining set after that long f*cked up wait. Yes, 59 whole minutes.

Nikki smashed his bass and Vince just laughed, at the end of that BS show. Vince's laugh pretty much summed up the absurdity of the whole night.

F*ck Motley Crue... I may just dump all of my tix to the final 5 nights because I'm so pissed at their stupid shit. I dunno yet...it's been 1 week and I'm still fuming.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 11:57 am

In all fairness though, how much of that is the Crue's fault? If their stage set-up doesn't show and the roadies are scrambling to patch things together and it sounds terrible, is that Vince's fault? Those guys can be blamed for alot of crap believe me, but stage production is out of their hands. Big set-ups like that take alot of planning and personnel to make it happen right. And just as much can go wrong too.

Sure, I'd be pissed if I paid money and got a half-assed show too, but to bash the band seems a bit unfair. I'll be seeing the Motley/Cooper show myself next Friday. I'll report back with my thoughts.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
In all fairness though, how much of that is the Crue's fault? If their stage set-up doesn't show and the roadies are scrambling to patch things together and it sounds terrible, is that Vince's fault? Those guys can be blamed for alot of crap believe me, but stage production is out of their hands. Big set-ups like that take alot of planning and personnel to make it happen right. And just as much can go wrong too.

Sure, I'd be pissed if I paid money and got a half-assed show too, but to bash the band seems a bit unfair. I'll be seeing the Motley/Cooper show myself next Friday. I'll report back with my thoughts.

I'm not saying it's the band's fault at all. Let me ask you this, if this happened at a Metallica show, what do you think the band's response would have been post concert?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 12:21 pm

I dunno. You think Metallica would've handled things differently? Apologize to the fans? Offer a make-up show? I'm not sure what you mean.

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:05 pm

This stuff happens and it's really not the fault of the band. Hey, at least they didn't just cancel the show which is probably what a lot of bands would have done.

I saw a King's X show in Dallas in 2003 where the electrical system inside the club was badly compromised. 30 seconds into Dogman Ty's guitar amp blew up. They replaced the head and started again...2 minutes into Dogman (the second attempt) the replacement amp blows up. After about 40 minutes of farting around with equipment the band said "screw it" and decided to just do an acoustic set. Ty borrowed an acoustic from the opening act, plugged it into a Wah pedal and fed that directly into the PA system, that was the entire guitar rig.

Dug announced that "since this isn't the show you guys paid to see, it's an all-request night!". Good to their word they took suggestions from the audience for the entire gig and they played a full 100 minute set. It was an awesome show. Standing beside me in the front row for that concert? Dimebag and Vinnie from Pantera, singing along with every song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
This stuff happens and it's really not the fault of the band.  Hey, at least they didn't just cancel the show which is probably what a lot of bands would have done.

Yea, hindsight being 20/20 and all, maybe the Crue should have just postponed the concert altogether. I know there are many factors at play cancelling a gig that big at the last minute, so it's not always an option either. If they cancelled, folks would blame fat Vince for that too. Who knows what was the right thing to do.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 1:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I dunno. You think Metallica would've handled things differently? Apologize to the fans? Offer a make-up show? I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes, you just said it. They would have apologized to the fans and they would have made up the show. They've done it a few times in the past.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 2:13 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes, you just said it. They would have apologized to the fans and they would have made up the show. They've done it a few times in the past.

I'm still missing your point. You're comparing the acts of Motley Crue to Metallica? Yea, sure, maybe they would have apologized for the technical issues. So what? Bands handle the situation in different ways. Some right, some wrong. Did Motley do it the wrong way? Perhaps. But you could say they still tried to put on a show, attempting to overcome the technical obstacles. From the sounds of it, they tried and failed.

My point was directed at the Blabbermouth poster that was mad with the band. If Vince stumbled out onstage drunk off his ass and forgot most of the words (which he's done) or Tommy threw a temper tantrum over a popped drum head and walked off after 1 song, yea, I'd tell the band they could f**k right off for good too. But tech issues happen.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 3:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm still missing your point. You're comparing the acts of Motley Crue to Metallica? Yea, sure, maybe they would have apologized for the technical issues. So what? Bands handle the situation in different ways. Some right, some wrong. Did Motley do it the wrong way? Perhaps. But you could say they still tried to put on a show, attempting to overcome the technical obstacles. From the sounds of it, they tried and failed.

My point is it's a lack of professionalism, but that has kind of been the Crue's schtick throughout their careers (not Guns 'N Roses level). Yes, they went on with the show (Crue song, no pun intended), but it's how Motley comes off. Why am I not surprised that they showed this type of cavalier attitude on stage? We know the show sucks, but who cares... We're smiling and laughing, and as long as we're smiling and having a good time, you suckers in the audience should as well.

I don't mind things going a little haywire at times. The last metal show I went to in 2013 was Anthrax, Testament & Death Angel. Scott Ian was sick as hell and Charlie went home because his mother was dying. They gave those a choice of attending the show, with Rob and Ted (Death Angel) filling in on songs, along with Gene Hoglan (playing two sets) or getting your money refunded. I decided to stay, because I felt they could pull this off, and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see this type of gig. The gig was phenomenal!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 4:00 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

My point is it's a lack of professionalism, but that has kind of been the Crue's schtick throughout their careers (not Guns 'N Roses level). Yes, they went on with the show (Crue song, no pun intended), but it's how Motley comes off. Why am I not surprised that they showed this type of cavalier attitude on stage?

I can't argue with you on that one. Their response to the situation doesn't surprise me in the least.

I've seen them a few times before and while I'm looking forward to seeing them next week, I'm honestly more excited about seeing Coop opening up for them. It's my first time seeing him.

PostSubject: Re: Going to my first metal concert!   Going to my first metal concert! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going to my first metal concert!
Page 1 of 1