Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Divlje Jagode

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Anyone familiar with this band? The Dokken thread led me to YouTube and a couple comment on that video of "Sheila" mentioned this band's song "Shayla."

Great tune! Comes off an album called Wild Strawberries from 1987. Guess that was the band name for that one, too, since Divlje Jagode apparently translates to "wild strawberries." Pretty dumb band name either way. Not Guano Apes dumb, but stupid enough. Anyway, looks like it's their only album in English, no doubt trying to capitalize on the whole 80s rock thing. I sampled the rest of the album and it seems really good.

Guess they're a Yugoslavian band, still active today. I checked out some tunes from other albums (even those re-recorded for the English-language album) and some were really good, but the vocals just ruin it for me. I have a hard time getting into bands who sing in different languages unless it's in a style (death metal, for instance) I wouldn't recognize as English in the first place. Haha.

I think I'm going to seek out this one album, though.
Back to top Go down

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 12:00 am

Someone linked me to that album a few months back. It's not bad.

I really don't mind foreign-language bands -- in fact, I find that singing in English doesn't always do a song justice.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 am

Not all songs in other languages bother me, but typically it's just distracting. Here's one I like:

lol!
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 7:10 am

I have a couple of theirs. Plus a Zele solo effort. Good rockin' stuff.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 1:47 pm

The most popular domestic band in Yugo area, and here's their most known song - no chance visiting biker's fest without this one being blasted all over the place hehe

However, I still think they are very overrated, just because: 1/2 songs are about love, and a bunch of those are closer to radio friendly pop than hard rock / metal; and the other 1/2 songs which kinda rock are basically the same, made as pop but with heavy guitars and that's basically it + they tend to repeat the chorus (= song title) more time Maiden themselves!

I have their 12 CD collection set at home but there's maybe enough cool material for 1 best of CD, in my humble opinion ....

Here's some more of their best chorus-driven material:

Konji (Horses)

Metalni radnici (Metal workers Smile )

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 6:10 am

Nah, wouldn't say they're overrated. Most people seem to ridiciule them and consider them music for rednecks and hillbillies.
That English album of their is probably their worst one lol.
I opened a thread about them a few years ago but noone seemed to bother....
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 am

I do really dig "Motori," but again...the vocals just kind of kill it for me after a bit. =(
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 pm

It's funny you mention them because I got a cassette of their greatest hits material from a thrift shop years ago. Considering the small size of their country, there aren't a lot of well known bands from there in this genre and they're not that bad, for the most part. I'm used to foreign-language music of all kinds after becoming a J-pop/J-rock fan at the age of 12, so it never bothered me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Divlje Jagode Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divlje Jagode   Divlje Jagode Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Divlje Jagode
Page 1 of 1