Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scuffed cases: Who cares?

Go down 
+8
ZombieHavoc
Shawn Of Fire
manny
Thelemech
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
muckie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Scuffed cases: Who cares? Empty
PostSubject: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm not concerned about scuffed standard jewel cases for the fact that storing and aligning my CD collection on my shelf is hard enough, that all I care about is keeping the disc and inserts/art in good condition as cases can be replaced unless its something like a digipack. So what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 1:55 pm

Never bothered me. Like you said, those can easily (and cheaply) be replaced. As long as the disc and inserts are in good shape, I'm fine with it.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Yeah, scuffs are no biggie. Even a scuffed case can be intact and functional, no broken hinges, etc.

The only ones that tend to be a problem are color cases that came with the CD at retail. Difficult to replace and some are impossible even if you find a color that matches it, if for instance there are any prints on it, which rarely happens, but I can name a few examples (mostly japanese releases).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Eh, depends on your definition of "scuffed".

I try to keep my cases, even easily replaceable jewels, pristine. If I buy something used and it's not "my" scuffs or cracks, I will replace it. But a well-worn case from an old album that I've played the hell out of, like say Master of Puppets, just adds character. Makes it look mean. As long as it isn't broken. Then it has to be replaced. If there is a sticker on the original case, it will be carefully removed and placed either under the tray (if it's clear) or under the back of the case, usually obstructing the UPC label, but as to not obscure the tracklisting or any vital information or photos. In that case, the sticker will be put in the center of the cd booklet. I also keep any sticker information on new releases in the same fashion, with the cellophane carefully clipped around the sticker.

I'm fully aware of my issues. Thanks. insane

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I love finding a gem from the 80's and the case is scuffed or cracked as it has that well worn character and it makes me think of all the times it probably went in and out of a back pack or car and shows that it was used and enjoyed. Not just a burn and return to the store that is so prevalent these days. I always wonder when a new album comes out and the next day there is one in the used bin in pristine condition. Was it that awful that even thought they paid full price they would sell it back for a buck or two?
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eh, depends on your definition of "scuffed".

I try to keep my cases, even easily replaceable jewels, pristine. If I buy something used and it's not "my" scuffs or cracks, I will replace it. But a well-worn case from an old album that I've played the hell out of, like say Master of Puppets, just adds character. Makes it look mean. As long as it isn't broken. Then it has to be replaced. If there is a sticker on the original case, it will be carefully removed and placed either under the tray (if it's clear) or under the back of the case, usually obstructing the UPC label, but as to not obscure the tracklisting or any vital information or photos. In that case, the sticker will be put in the center of the cd booklet. I also keep any sticker information on new releases in the same fashion, with the cellophane carefully clipped around the sticker.

I'm fully aware of my issues. Thanks. insane

I am similar, though I want ALL my cases to be brand new looking - little to no scratches or scuff marks. I regularly buy new cases to put on any second hand CDs I might acquire.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm

I have tons of CD's that look a little scuffy but I prefer my CD's to look pristine
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 1:21 pm

I don't want them downright broken or the trays missing "teeth", but if they're scratched or scuffed it's no big deal.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 9:51 am

If a case is beat to hell I will replace it. If the hinges are broken, I will intend to replace it but often never will.

The only thing that really bothers me is sticker residue on a case. I remove price tags from used CD cases and it bothers me when residue from those is left behind. I don't bother removing stickers like "The Nice Price" or "For Fans Of...". Those are usually on the shrink wrap anyway, but I've had a few where it was right on the jewel case.

Also, if a used CD case feels grimy or filmy, I'll replace it.

And as stated in every thread, I hate digpaks. If a reissue is in digipak form, it will make me hold out for a previous issue. Or a European issue that might be in a jewel case. Also, if a bonus track version is in a digi and the standard version is in a jewel case, I get the standard version.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 10:12 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:

The only thing that really bothers me is sticker residue on a case. I remove price tags from used CD cases and it bothers me when residue from those is left behind. I don't bother removing stickers like "The Nice Price" or "For Fans Of...". Those are usually on the shrink wrap anyway, but I've had a few where it was right on the jewel case.

Use Goo Gone. That stuff is excellent in removing the residue.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 8:18 am

Scuffed cases don't bother me too bad.I have enough issues with OCD storage of my CDs without complicating it any further.Haha
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm fine as long as the CDs themselves play perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 11:51 am

Scratches/scuffs don't bug me but if a case is busted - a crack on the front, a broken hinge, teeth missing from the inside - it drives me absolutely insane till I can find a replacement.

When I scrounge thru the CDs in the thrift store I frequent, I tend to find a lot of empty cases. They sell me the empties for a quarter apiece, so I try to keep a stock pile of empties on hand in case I drop/break a case.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 11:38 am

I bought a 24 pack of new cases from staples a year or so ago and haven't got around to going through the collection to see what's broke and replace it. The two most recent additions to my collection (Sleeze Beez and Hericane Alice ) have well worn and scuffed cases but have cool stickers for Parental Advisory and "used" from the stores where they were purchased. I can't bring myself to replace these as I think that stuff is cool.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't care about scuffs or minor cracks, I hate broken hinges and missing tray teeth though.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Stender wrote:
I don't care about scuffs or minor cracks, I hate broken hinges and missing tray teeth though.

I received Hideous Divinity - Cobra Verde in the mail yesterday. The tray teeth were coming apart when I opened it.

The album plays perfectly fine, though, and that's what matters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scuffed cases: Who cares?   Scuffed cases: Who cares? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scuffed cases: Who cares?
Page 1 of 1