Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looks can be decieving

Go down 
+15
ultmetal
brokentulsa
Runicen
Vexer6
Gilbert
Witchfinder
80s Metal Lady
the sentinel
Boris2008
Lari
Troublezone
James B.
choosemetal
kethdredd
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Looks can be decieving Empty
PostSubject: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Name a band that totally blew you away, looking one way, but sounding totally different than what you expected.

Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Early Enforcer. They had a motley Crüe look. But their music rules!
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 9:27 pm

The first Icon album

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17154

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 9:34 pm

If you were to go back and look at Living Color without hearing their music first, you might assume they were a funk band. Stereotypes were more common back then.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Molly Hatchet and their album covers. Looks like melodic power metal, sounds like southern rock with muscle.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 8:36 am

After seeing pictures like this as a kid

Looks can be decieving C056022d1a251ee35cc340892050a77a

I imagined that Kiss would be super heavy, super evil

This was a bit of a surprise

surprised
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 2:23 pm

James B. wrote:
The first Icon album

Excellent call, James!
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
After seeing pictures like this as a kid

Looks can be decieving C056022d1a251ee35cc340892050a77a

I imagined that Kiss would be super heavy, super evil

Ha! Yes! I kept bugging my mom to get me a KISS album at a used record store (she didn't want me listening to them). She finally bought me Gene Simmons's solo album for 50 cents. The orchestra beginning of the first song, "Radioactive," sounded like it was going to be a horror song and then came "You're my food, you're my water..." I was a bit disappointed then, but love the album now.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 3:20 pm

More recently, when searching for new-to-me '80s metal, I came upon the band Demon. From the band's name and the album cover, I expected a pretty heavy album. Actually sounds more like classic AOR or hard rock. Not bad, just not what I expected.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 4:43 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
More recently, when searching for new-to-me '80s metal, I came upon the band Demon. From the band's name and the album cover, I expected a pretty heavy album. Actually sounds more like classic AOR or hard rock. Not bad, just not what I expected.

Never heard the band, but that's a great song! Nice sound, reminds me of Nazareth. Maybe more NWOBHM-ish and straight up metal, rather than the brash 70's style heavy metal of Nazareth. Or edgy AOR-ish hard rock, or whatever you want to call Nazareth...
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 5:20 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:

Demon turned into a much different band by the time they got to their third album - The Plague. They went in a much more progressive rock direction for the rest of their career.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 9:36 am

The demon cover art looks like the cover of an 80s horror movie.

music is good.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Praying Mantis, for a NWOBHM band they were a bit lighter then I was expecting(their not even listed on Metal Archives), but soon I began to enjoy them.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 6:55 am

The Darkness.

To eyeball the band themselves, you'd assume they were doing the Steel Panther thing. To look at their album art, you'd assume it was just middle of the road rock.

Just my taste, but what they're actually doing is very solid 70s hard rock with a few modern touches.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 7:25 am

I expected some straight up 80s glam but instead they are a modern rock sound...
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 10:34 am

Runicen wrote:
The Darkness.

To eyeball the band themselves, you'd assume they were doing the Steel Panther thing.  To look at their album art, you'd assume it was just middle of the road rock.  

Just my taste, but what they're actually doing is very solid 70s hard rock with a few modern touches.
Steel Panther was actually one for me, when I first looked at some of their song titles, I assumed they would suck, but they were a lot better then I expected.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 10:40 am

That's why I use my ears and actually listen to the music instead of focusing on what the promo pictures look like.

Maybe when I was 14 an image of a band had some impact on whether I would check them out or not (pre-internet), but that went away by the time I reached my 20s.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 11:04 am

Looks can be decieving Hqdefault
Phantom Blue. Looks like weak pop rock from the 80's, is actually kick ass hard rock and heavy metal!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 11:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
Looks can be decieving Hqdefault
Phantom Blue. Looks like weak pop rock from the 80's, is actually kick ass hard rock and heavy metal!

I have to say, just from the cover, I wouldn't even give that band the time of day. I'd figure they would be weak rip-offs of Vixen.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 11:36 am

S.D. wrote:
That's why I use my ears and actually listen to the music instead of focusing on what the promo pictures look like.

Maybe when I was 14 an image of a band had some impact on whether I would check them out or not (pre-internet), but that went away by the time I reached my 20s.  

So what you are saying is that if you come across a band and their promo pictures looked like this

Looks can be decieving Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtAQH7k0PVlRNs10xz0ZJ0KJCOG_mowZCB7WI5PJuuAU28TXSnSQ

You would listen to the music with absolutely no preconceptions?

I'm calling bullshit dude!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 12:06 pm

I bought Cold Lake despite a band picture almost that bad....but the music sucked balls too so that was a lose/lose scenario.

I'm also wondering how many times this exact same discussion has shown up here over the past 7 years...this is definitely not the first time.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 1:26 pm

I mean, I don't think anyone said they liked a band based on what they look like. We all use our ears to determine if we like something or not, and not their image.

I believe this thread is just kinda about bands/artists that do not sound like they look like they would.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 1:59 pm

S.D. wrote:

I'm also wondering how many times this exact same discussion has shown up here over the past 7 years...this is definitely not the first time.

You could say that about any number of threads on here! (That's got me thinking, why is there no thread on underground '80s thrash surprised )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

You could say that about any number of threads on here! (That's got me thinking, why is there no thread on underground '80s thrash surprised )

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Praying Mantis, for a NWOBHM band they were a bit lighter then I was expecting(their not even listed on Metal Archives), but soon I began to enjoy them.

Plus, they have former members of Onslaught (England's answer to Slayer) and Iron Maiden, which would lead people to believe they'd be a lot heavier than they actually are.

A few heavier tracks (particularly "Children of the Earth"), but the bulk of their material is AOR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looks can be decieving   Looks can be decieving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looks can be decieving
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: