Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?

Go down 
+6
James B.
BearOnUnicycle
Zdan
Glower
80s Metal Lady
10 posters

Branded and Exiled
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap18%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Gods of Iron
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap0%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Realm of Shades
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap27%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 27% [ 3 ]
Mordor
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap9%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Fight the Oppression
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap0%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Evil Spirit
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap9%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Marching to Die
 0% [ 0 ]
Chains and Leather
What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_lcap36%What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Vote_rcap
 36% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Empty
PostSubject: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 pm

A week has gone by, so time for another RW poll. I thought I'd wait a week between polls to give folks who are interested but don't have the albums time to check them out. Their early albums, including this one, are on Spotify.

Released in 1985, Running Wild’s sophomore album continues the dark subject and Satanic themes of their debut. This album is another solid effort although not as many songs stand out for me off this album as off Gates To Purgatory. Maybe Gates is more memorable to me because it was the first RW album I heard.

One of the stand-out tracks for me is “Evil Spirit” because I really like the pounding beat. The next track I dig is “Chains and Leather.” It reminds me of Saxon’s “Denim and Leather” not just because the titles are similar but that they are both metal anthems to which I could see fans singing along at concerts. This one is about Satan; but still it promotes solidarity.

I know it’s predictable to pick the title track, but I can’t help it. “Branded and Exiled” is awesome! It is another anthem-like rocker that is so catchy. It grabbed me immediately and is still among my Top 10 RW songs. It has excellent lyrics, too. It taught me the word “mendacious.” The other songs like “Realm of Shades” (sounds like he’s singing “Grandma Sage”, LOL) are all good but just not that memorable.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Before I vote - I must say - about this incredible metal release -
it ranks right up there, for me, with Metal Church's s/t -
It has that incredibly mystical vibe to it - from start to finish -
No fillers at all.
I think it was actually recorded in Berlin, Germany of all places too -
Also - Running Wild put out a greatest hits package -
and re-recorded some of these songs -
NO WAY did they even remotely capture that 1985 spirit.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 2:57 pm

"Chains and Leather" - a sort of sequel to "Prisoners of Our Time" from the debut. But, in my mind, an even better song. One of the top anthems of German metal - next to "Balls To The Wall" for example. Simple, pounding and anthemic. Nothing to dislike.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 2:58 pm

A tie between Realm of Shades and Branded and Exiled. Voted for the former just to even it up. Don\t really like this version of Chains and Leather, the re-recorded one from Wild Animal (1989) is sonically superior to the original and executed better technically.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
A tie between Realm of Shades and Branded and Exiled. Voted for the former just to even it up. Don\t really like this version of Chains and Leather, the re-recorded one from Wild Animal (1989) is sonically superior to the original and executed better technically.

And the above qualities are why I do not like the re-recorded version. It lacks the rawness, bite and passion of the "Branded And Exiled" version. Sure it sounds better but I do not expect my dirty heavy/speed metal to sound pretty. Some albums would be ruined by "good" production values.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 3:37 pm

That later version is a little sing-songy. I like it when it's more of a chant.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 3:45 pm

That C&L version sounds like ha ha an angry Carrabbean is on drums.
And then it goes into a song and dance type chorus - they screwed up big time.
I love Running Wild - but whoever told them to re-record earlier material - ehhh -

Last edited by Glower on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 3:46 pm

It might be that I heard the latter one first, and in general got used to late 80's RW sound and fell in love with Port - Pile timeframe before, so their "raw" era doesn't appeal to me that much. Cause right now B&E version, especially the chrous, sounds extremly poorly and kinda forced even to me.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 3:50 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
It might be that I heard the latter one first, and in general got used to late 80's RW sound and fell in love with Port - Pile timeframe before, so their "raw" era doesn't appeal to me that much. Cause right now B&E version, especially the chrous, sounds extremly poorly and kinda forced even to me.

Yeah, I think the one heard first plays a big role. You get used to hearing a song a certain way. There's been a few times where I liked a re-recorded version best (usually orchestrated, so much different) but usually prefer the original or whichever I heard first.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 6:06 pm

I gotta go with Chains And Leather. That's an excellent song that gets stuck in my head long after I hear it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Just listened to this two times back to back, "Realm Of Shades" for me.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Mordor 'cause, you know, Tolkien theme.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 8:34 pm

I do like this song.
" Atomic warheads, weapons of all kind
invented to detroy -
to find their victims to grind " ( He doesn't sing that - lol )
It's interesting someone's band somewhere, in this enviroment did this tune.
The lead guitar player nailed the intro lead break riff -
Singer probbly passed out when song was done.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 11:32 am

Another week, another RW poll. I'm out of town right now, but will post the poll for Under Jolly Roger this evening.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 10:52 pm

Evil Spirit is f*cking doomy and sinister. I don't listen to this album much, but that's usually the track I queue up.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 11:37 am

Chains and leather.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 1:33 am

I gotta go with the title track. It's just too awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"?   What’s Your Brand on Running Wild’s "Branded and Exiled"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1