Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Live Album - The Turn

Go down 
+2
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Live Album - The Turn Empty
PostSubject: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 9:21 am

Since their other project went nowhere (The Gracious Few anyone?) Live has apparently recruited a new singer after their acrimonious split with original vocalist Ed Kowalczyk and put out a new album The Turn.

New Live Album - The Turn 51WQ1R-2L5L

Listen to some samples on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Turn-Live/dp/B00NMJQGOK/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Sounds like Live I guess. Not really my thing, but I figure some folks here might care.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Throwing Copper was on of my favorite 90's albums but that was as far as I got with them. A new lead singer? meh.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Throwing Copper was on of my favorite 90's albums but that was as far as I got with them. A new lead singer? meh.

One of mine too..... I saw them right before Throwing Copper hit big time at a cool venue called The Boathouse. Awesome show - and was really cool to see them just after that album was released. Those samples aren't doing much for me
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Is this in the right forum? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 11:50 pm

The Gracious Few is a great album. Shame it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, I pledged for this new Live album, been playing it for a while now, and I think it's excellent. The new singer is a bit different from Ed, but the music is obviously a big part of their sound, so it sounds like Live. A bit darker this time out, though.

I like it better than Ed's solo albums, although no song on it is as catchy as "Grace." That one has such a great hook. That's not to say The Turn isn't full of catchy songs; every song has a nice hook, but they're more subtle, less anthemic.  

Either way, excellent album. The samples on Amazon don't do it justice.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 7:46 am

I've heard bits and pieces about the split with Ed. What actually went down, or is the story "under wraps" save for some fan speculation?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 8:15 am

From what I understand, Ed got a case of LSD (Lead Singer Disease) and starting making deals and decisions without consulting the other members, claiming that it was "his" band. They've really all been together since grade school, so as far as a "leader" goes, who's to say?

Is there more to it? Probably, but that's the gist of it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 8:22 am

That fits with what I heard about it. Unless you're Pete Townshend or the one guy who writes everything (for the inverse, read Mike Doughty's book - I was seeing red by the end), that whole, "I am the band" thing is crap.

Hell, even in Townshend's case, he'd freely admit that while he wrote the songs, everyone else in the band put their unique stamp on it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 2:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
From what I understand, Ed got a case of LSD (Lead Singer Disease) and starting making deals and decisions without consulting the other members, claiming that it was "his" band. They've really all been together since grade school, so as far as a "leader" goes, who's to say?

Is there more to it? Probably, but that's the gist of it.

Very similar to what Tate did, actually. Ed tried to do his own backdoor deals, demanded more money per show, and also somehow tricked the band into signing over rights to some company they ran. Something like that. And like Tate, he thought he was more important than the rest of the band. And of course is milking the hell out of Live's back catalog while touring, doing 20th Anniversary shows for Throwing Copper and such.

Either way, seemed like some pretty shitty things to do to people he'd been friends with since they were kids.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Very similar to what Tate did, actually. Ed tried to do his own backdoor deals, demanded more money per show, and also somehow tricked the band into signing over rights to some company they ran. Something like that. And like Tate, he thought he was more important than the rest of the band. And of course is milking the hell out of Live's back catalog while touring, doing 20th Anniversary shows for Throwing Copper and such.

Either way, seemed like some pretty shitty things to do to people he'd been friends with since they were kids.

Yeah, I'll second that one. At least one could argue that Tate viewed the others as bandmates first and primarily. They weren't exactly childhood chums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Runicen wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, I'll second that one.  At least one could argue that Tate viewed the others as bandmates first and primarily.  They weren't exactly childhood chums.  

Differences, sure, but still dick moves from both of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Live Album - The Turn   New Live Album - The Turn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Live Album - The Turn
Page 1 of 1