Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AOR?

Go down 
+8
ZombieHavoc
Runicen
Nomadic Drifter
manny
Boris2008
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:26 pm

When did the term AOR come to mean a genre that encompasses bands like Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon etc... and not an acronym for Album Oriented Rock? I am assuming that the two became conflated at some point because Album Oriented Rock format radio stations played a lot of those artists and the acronym became the name of a genre. Is that right?

I remember when those types of bands were known variously as "Stadium Rock" or "Corporate Rock." I didn't start hearing AOR as a genre until the last 10 years or so. Weird.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:31 pm

AOR now stands for "Adult Oriented Rock", it has no relation to the old radio term for "Album Oriented Rock".

Yes, it's f'ckin' stupid...

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:34 pm

I call stuff like that "Cheese Rock" personally, but it's probably just me. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:34 pm

S.D. wrote:
AOR now stands for "Adult Oriented Rock", it has no relation to the old radio term for "Album Oriented Rock".  

Yes, it's f'ckin' stupid...

So when people say AOR bands now they mean "Adult Oriented Rock" or is "Adult Oriented Rock" still a radio station format and AOR bands mean stuff like Journey? Or both? scratch
Back to top Go down

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

So when people say AOR bands now they mean "Adult Oriented Rock" or is "Adult Oriented Rock" still a radio station format and AOR bands mean stuff like Journey?  Or both?  scratch

AOR only means "Adult Oriented Rock" now (again...stupid)

The term "Album Oriented Rock" became "Classic Rock".

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

So when people say AOR bands now they mean "Adult Oriented Rock" or is "Adult Oriented Rock" still a radio station format and AOR bands mean stuff like Journey?  Or both?  scratch

AOR only means "Adult Oriented Rock" now (again...stupid)

The term "Album Oriented Rock" became "Classic Rock".  

But people on this very board talk about "AOR bands" all the time and they are referring to Freddy's "Cheese Rock" bands. So I guess it has various meanings.

Also, what is "Classic Rock?" Does that mean 70s rock? Does that mean anything 20 years old and older? What are Oldies? Does that only mean 50s and 60s "Hot Wax?" So many labels and so much confusion. My brain hurts!
Back to top Go down

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 4:49 pm

The original term AOR (for radio) came into play with FM radio, to distinguish it from the usual 3 minute single AM radio stations.  FM stations would play Stairway To Heaven, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Life's Been Good and other songs much longer than your traditional AM radio singles.

When people on the board talk about AOR they are referring to Adult Oriented Rock.  

The term Classic Rock started in the 80s, at that point it was 60s and 70s rock.  When Clear Channel bought basically every radio station in the country they replaced the term "Album Oriented Rock" with "Classic Rock"...it's the exact same songs/albums/artists as AOR, they just decided to use the term Classic Rock instead.

Classic Rock is loosely defined as music released between 1967 and 1983 (or thereabouts), though it has been expanding later recently as you'll hear some Metallica and Nirvana played on classic rock radio stations.  I believe the peak year was 1972.

Anything earlier than 1967 is usually described as "Oldies".
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 3:01 am

It is ridiculous that everyone wants a "tag" on certain things,like music.Yet they want tagless shirts and underwear.Haha.
Sorry,it's late or early however you look at it!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 6:29 am

Back in my youth, we used to joke that AOR stood for Any Old Rubbish! lol!

I still dislike the genre now.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 6:57 am

AOR was to describe bands like Boston, Foreigner, Survivor, Journey, bands critics dubbed corporate rock, but I agree its one of the worst terms ever to describe a genre.
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 12:49 pm

I think it is funny, that the music magazine - CLASSIC ROCK - now has two spin-off magazines - PROG ROCK & A O R. I haven't bought a copy of the A O R but it looks like it mostly covers bands like Boston, Journey, Foreigner, and others of that ilk.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 am

Can we just bring back John Lennon's derogatory term for Paul's Beatles songs: "Granny music?"

AOR and Classic Rock are terms without personality.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:32 am

I don't have a problem with the term AOR referring to bands like Survivor and Journey. But when I first heard the term, it was in reference to bands like those, so I never thought of it as anything different.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
I think it is funny, that the music magazine - CLASSIC ROCK - now has two spin-off magazines - PROG ROCK  &  A O R.  I haven't bought a copy of the A O R but it looks like it mostly covers bands like Boston, Journey, Foreigner, and others of that ilk.

I bought a copy of AOR magazine & loved it.
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 1:22 pm

bass63 wrote:
Nomadic Drifter wrote:
I think it is funny, that the music magazine - CLASSIC ROCK - now has two spin-off magazines - PROG ROCK  &  A O R.  I haven't bought a copy of the A O R but it looks like it mostly covers bands like Boston, Journey, Foreigner, and others of that ilk.

Does the magazine AOR offer a clear definition of AOR?
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Nomadic Drifter wrote:

Does the magazine AOR offer a clear definition of AOR?

I don't know about that. But I read it from cover to cover. Lot's of bands that I like.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 2:33 pm

"AOR" (and even "Melodic Rock") has become a genre tag...much like "Alternative" or "Grunge". It has come to encompass a wide variety of bands from 70s Corporate Rock (38 Special, Journey, Toto, Foreigner, Boston, REO, Styx, even Kansas), to late 80s/early 90s bands like Giant, Firehouse, 21 Guns, Bad English, Harem Scarem. Even artists like Bryan Adams, John Waite, Starship and Rick Springfield are under this umbrella...and bands as heavy as Pink Cream 69. Many AOR fans are also fans of 80s "Hair Metal" (another far-reaching genre tag).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
"AOR" (and even "Melodic Rock") has become a genre tag...much like "Alternative" or "Grunge". It has come to encompass a wide variety of bands from 70s Corporate Rock (38 Special, Journey, Toto, Foreigner, Boston, REO, Styx, even Kansas), to late 80s/early 90s bands like Giant, Firehouse, 21 Guns, Bad English, Harem Scarem. Even artists like Bryan Adams, John Waite, Starship and Rick Springfield are under this umbrella...and bands as heavy as Pink Cream 69. Many AOR fans are also fans of 80s "Hair Metal" (another far-reaching genre tag).

Just shows that the genre tags change all the time - I remember the 80's stuff like Giant was called either pop metal or arena rock..... Hair Metal wasn't a term until the 90's to poke fun at the glam/pop metal bands..... kind of like in the 80's some people called classic rock (what was considered classic rock in the 80's) "classic rot"
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:05 pm

So, does AOR mean that certain radio stations would play the entire songs, without cutting?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AOR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: AOR?   AOR? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AOR?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: