Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Still Sealed Vinyl

Go down 
+8
kropotkin
Witchfinder
ultmetal
ZombieHavoc
Runicen
mikeinfla
chewie
crucifyd
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
crucifyd
Metal novice
Metal novice
crucifyd

Number of posts : 8

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 pm

In particular I'm curious what Scott (utlmetal) has to say, but this is for any and all vinyl maniacs:

1. if you pick up a SS copy of an LP, do you open it? what are the variables that determine if you open it or not?

2. more specifically, what do you do with currently released SS LPs and what are the variables?

3. do you buy all possible variants of a given LP (different color wax, different cover, pressing, etc)?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 am

1. I would open it. I buy them to listen to, not just to have.
2. I would still open it to play them..... I want to make sure that they are playable. I have a bunch of afro-funk and psych that are new releases and I do like to spin them! Smile
3. I don't have the kind of cash to do that, but I will try to buy any singles and non album tracks.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 am

Found Def Leppard Pyromania still sealed. Tried to post a pic but having issues with image shack.

Still Sealed Vinyl 990f002caa3ba06efe7e613616de5547

well, it is awful small stupid host wants me to pay now for posting full images. Stay away from imageshack, it used to be good.

I found this new for 3 bucks. Took it home and opened it and played it. I never buy anything that I won't play. I open them all. Actually prefer to buy used because they are cheaper but at 3 bucks this was like buying used!

When I was in Pittsburgh at Eide's Entertainment they have a used sealed vinyl section and most of those were 5 bucks or less but I didn't pick any of those up.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 10:19 am

I'm always stoked when I find albums I want still sealed, but to me it's the idea that it's as if I were picking it off of the shelf in its era rather than buying it used, if that makes any kind of sense. Call it a "time machine effect" if that makes it clearer.

The joke between my friends and I is that, if I ever won the lottery, I'd spend stupid money to get still sealed copies of all the action figures we loved when we were kids and then make Youtube videos of me tearing the packaging open like I was a hyperactive five year old. The tears and lamentations of collectors the world over would be music to my ears.  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 am

Any new release I buy that is still sealed, then yeah, of course I'm opening it.

If I happened to come across some rare record that was still sealed, I'd probably leave it sealed--but only if I had the CD/mp3 or whatever to actually listen to.

And as for variants, no. I don't need to own multiple versions of the same record. Of course, if I had some standard version, and happened upon a cheap copy of a rare version, I might buy it. But I don't set out to have every cover/color/press of a record.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 am

crucifyd wrote:
In particular I'm curious what Scott (utlmetal) has to say, but this is for any and all vinyl maniacs:

1. if you pick up a SS copy of an LP, do you open it? what are the variables that determine if you open it or not?

Usually I do open it. Unfortunately "still sealed" doesn't guarantee a MINT vinyl. Sometimes the shrinkwrapping can cause the vinyl to warp if left wrapped for years.

Also, some records use those crappy plastic sleeves which can chemically react with the vinyl essentially destroying the record.

As well, if an album is suppose to have inserts, I have to make sure the inserts are inside.

crucifyd wrote:

2. more specifically, what do you do with currently released SS LPs and what are the variables?

Though I am a collector, I am also an avid music listener, so I always open the records unless it's some odd occasion that I have more than one copy and I am just keeping the extra one sealed. I do have a few sealed records for that reason. (Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo comes to mind.)

crucifyd wrote:

3. do you buy all possible variants of a given LP (different color wax, different cover, pressing, etc)?

Not usually. I'm usually happy with just one of the same pressing. Record companies are doing a lot of that now, repressing an album with 20 different color vinyls because they know some out there will collect them all. I know guys who paid big bucks to get all four colored vinyls of Kiss' Sonic Boom when it was first released. I purchased one (Blue) and I am fine with that.

However, I do have multiple copies of some records. Usually it's an original pressing and then a repressing, or two blatantly different covers, or something of that nature. I usually only do this with my favorite bands. Aerosmith, Priest, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, etc.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 pm

1. Open it - Play it.
2. Open it - Play it.
3. Not really - I do have some different versions of a couple of albums, but more for novelty.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Also, some records use those crappy plastic sleeves which can chemically react with the vinyl essentially destroying the record.

Keep in mind there is a difference in polyethylene and plastic sleeves. I know the plastic ones you're referring to, I have bought a few used records with these in them and they are worse than paper sleeves IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Still Sealed Vinyl 10407777_735254349873310_6355183603635074137_n

This is a brand new vinyl taken directly out of the "Still Sealed" box set this past weekend. Hadn't even played it once yet. Looks pretty doesn't it?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Ouch!! Clean with some distilled water and it will probably be fine.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Tried cleaning it. It's permanent.

Metal novice
Metal novice
kropotkin

Number of posts : 55

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 pm

crucifyd wrote:

1. I have SS copies of rare/expensive albums (obviously bought for peanuts back then, either from members of the bands, or going out of business mailorders etc) for trade purposes (Usually collectors prefer SS copies).

2. I usually buy them online. If they come sealed (this is a huge IF, a lot of records don't come sealed, some come without even the plastic sleeves, but I usually don't have control if situations like this occur), I'll keep them sealed (mp3s would do the job). Of course, I like to speculate a lot and try to find/buy for cheap extra copies of titles soon to be desired by many. Not in order to make extra cash on them (not that  I have anything against it) but for trade purposes.

3. I used to do it a lot in the past ( of course 15-20 years ago you could still find variants of a given LP for peanuts-they worth the extra effort + the shipping cost was cheap-for example $5-6 for one LP, +$2 for each one after the first) not anymore. Of course, this is not an aphorism, it may changes over time. And only for vinyl issues of old titles. I care the less for new releases (except in very limited situations,for example,  like new helloween or f.warning). Nowadays, I try to find (and keep) only titles that I really like. Ι love playing blind's man buff with my collection, knowing that I would always pick up a vinyl that I really like (in the rare occasions that I'm actually spinning them- usually I love to get them, touch them, smell them, stare at them, read the inserts etc).
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:30 am

ultmetal wrote:

This is a brand new vinyl taken directly out of the "Still Sealed" box set this past weekend. Hadn't even played it once yet. Looks pretty doesn't it?

what record is that? new Priest?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Dumb question, maybe, but does it play?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I've got the Nostradamus box set still sealed and apparently that one is famous for this. I daren't open it!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 3:20 am

ultmetal wrote:
Damn that sucks, there have been times when i've bought a CD brand new and I still had to clean it before it would work properly.

How about the Precious Metal vinyl I sent you? Does it play OK?
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 5:44 am

So what is that? Did they use a plastic liner instead of poly? I've never seen the polysleeves do that. I just got a bunch more in yesterday from sleeve city.

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Diskeeper-2-0-Antistatic-Record-Sleeves-p/9235.htm
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I've got the Nostradamus box set still sealed and apparently that one is famous for this. I daren't open it!  affraid 

If its still sealed, it looks like this. They all do.

Administrator
ultmetal

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Runicen wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

This was the worst of the the three albums. It plays but has a terrible hiss in the quieter moments. The other two discs still look bad but play ok.

Administrator
ultmetal

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Damn that sucks, there have been times when i've bought a CD brand new and I still had to clean it before it would work properly.

How about the Precious Metal vinyl I sent you?  Does it play OK?

Yes, thank you my friend. Plays fine.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 4:40 pm

I don't understand how a release like that goes unnoticed. It's not like it was still sealed after 20 years. Wonder what the manufacturer's response was to this. Looks like they used a plastic inner sleeve instead of a poly lined sleeve.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 6:12 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
I don't understand how a release like that goes unnoticed. It's not like it was still sealed after 20 years. Wonder what the manufacturer's response was to this. Looks like they used a plastic inner sleeve instead of a poly lined sleeve.

I know a guy who purchased it, opened it on the day it was released, and it was already stuck to the plastic sleeves, but because he took them out of the plastic immediately and put them into new sleeves, his vinyl doesn't look as bad. However, he says even his have a few marks.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 7:34 am

ultmetal wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:

I know a guy who purchased it, opened it on the day it was released, and it was already stuck to the plastic sleeves, but because he took them out of the plastic immediately and put them into new sleeves, his vinyl doesn't look as bad. However, he says even his have a few marks.

Yeah, I've had a look at mine now and two discs aren't bad, there are some marks but nothing really sinister, but my copy of the disc you pictured is awful, maybe worse than yours.

I've got loads of picture discs in those sleeves, should I replace them?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:52 am

I buy them to listen to them.... Got a still sealed copy of Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind and it sounds fantastic - no noise at all!!!!! Still sounds great after lots of play.

I also got a still sealed Somewhere In Time and that one was warped....
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 1:25 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Runicen wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

This was the worst of the the three albums. It plays but has a terrible hiss in the quieter moments. The other two discs still look bad but play ok.

Have you tried purple power on it? It cleans really well you just have to be careful with it.
Still Sealed Vinyl Cleaner_degreaser

or other various cleaning methods could work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Still Sealed Vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still Sealed Vinyl   Still Sealed Vinyl Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Still Sealed Vinyl
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Collector's Corner-
Jump to: