Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jeff LaBar - One For The Road

Go down 
+8
Troublezone
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
exact33
glassprison
manny
Sword Of The Heretic
Eyesore
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Empty
PostSubject: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Still no new Cinderella record, but it seems that yet another quality side-project from one its members is coming out soon.

Quote :
"No Strings", the new solo video from CINDERELLA guitarist Jeff LaBar, can be seen below. The clip was directed by James Erdman and features drummer Matthew Arnn, Jeff's son, guitarist Sebastian LaBar, and bassist Jasmine Cain.

"No Strings" was recorded with TESLA drummer Troy Luccketta and was mixed by CINDERELLA drummer Fred Coury. It is taken from Jeff's solo debut, "One For The Road", which will be released on August 26 through Rat Pak Records. Tracks on the seven-song CD. which features additional mixing of Chris Collier, range from classic, early CINDERELLA-style hard rock, to groove-laden blues rock, and everything in between. Jeff not only sings on this release, but also does a fantastic job of capturing the magic and spirit of the classic genre he helped create.

"I wrote 'No Strings' following my first marriage and subsequent divorce," LaBar tells Ultimate Classic Rock. "The relationship was awesome; the breakup, not so much."

In a June 2013 interview with Legendary Rock Interviews, LaBar stated about his upcoming solo album: "The way it started was, I've been threatening to do a solo album or years and at the end of [the summer 2012] CINDERELLA tour, my tour manager Larry Morand and my wife Debi called me on it. They said, Look, Tom's [Keifer, CINDERELLA frontman] solo album is coming out this spring, he'll probably tour on it through the summer. Now is the time, Jeff. It's time to get in the studio and start putting your money where your mouth is.' So, that's what I've been doing."

Asked how the direction of his solo material is different from what he has done with CINDERELLA, Jeff said: "The first song I recorded could have been a CINDERELLA song, I think, but you know when you get guitar players putting out solo records, from what I've seen, they are very self-indulgent in terms of guitar playing or even sometimes, they're instrumental records. Mine is self-indulgent in the sense that it will cover a lot of different types of music. The first song I did is called 'No Strings' and like I said, it's a rock song, it could be a CINDERELLA song. The second song I recorded is a total blues waltz/shuffle. The latest song I've done is almost like a FLEETWOOD MAC-type ballad. I've also written a slow, chunky metal song, a blues slide song and a flat-out metal burner, fast song so I think I am really trying to explore all of my different influences. It's all me singing and playing everything but drums."

Asked if he enjoys singing, Jeff said: "Absolutely, I've been singing all my life. Since I started playing guitar at the age of nine or ten, I was also singing, sitting in my bedroom with [LED] ZEPPELIN and BEATLES songbooks. I didn't just learn how to play the songs I loved, but I learned how to sing 'em too. I actually started out as a drummer and aspired to be a guitar player, and then when I became a guitar player, I aspired to be a singer. [laughs] I got the chance to do a lot of background vocals over the years in CINDERELLA, but make no mistake, I see myself and believe in myself as a singer."

Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Jefflabaronefortheroadcd

Sounds quite good. Pretty much everything these guys have done outside of Cinderella—Naked Beggars, Freakshow, Tom's solo album—has been really good. Shame they can't get together and record a proper Cinderella record. Clearly they're all still capable of writing quality hard rock.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 pm

I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:21 pm

I was not excepting much, but I enjoyed that track
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 pm

His voice sounds much different here compared to his backing vocals for Cinderella. Not bad at all. I still think he probably would have been better off getting a singer with a bigger range, and while singing on just a few tracks himself, but I look forward to hearing this.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 pm

I like it. I like all the different styles.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 am

Hard to NOT compare it to Tom's album, but I think this one ought to be pretty good too. Looking forward to hearing it.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Cool.

I doubt we'll ever see another Cinderella album.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Cool.

Probably not, but we can always hope can't we?  greedy  They should regroup and record an album as "The Cinderfellas".  Razz 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Cool.

Probably not, but we can always hope can't we?  greedy  They should regroup and record an album as "The Cinderfellas".  Razz 

I really wish they would just release all those badass demos from before Night Songs. There is easily two albums' worth of GREAT material.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 am

It kinda has the Ace Frehley "can't sing , don't care" vibe.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:55 am

Bump. Looks like this album is out now. Don't suppose anyone's heard it yet, have they?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 12:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Looks like this album is out now. Don't suppose anyone's heard it yet, have they?

Nope. Shoot, I haven't even heard Keifer's album yet.

Eyesore wrote:

I really wish they would just release all those badass demos from before Night Songs. There is easily two albums' worth of GREAT material.

I'd be all over that. Especially if they included the legendary "Pat's Dogs" commercial jingle. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm

There's only 7 songs on this thing!

http://www.amazon.com/One-For-Road-Jeff-LaBar/dp/B00LVFH6Y6

Samples sound good, though. But maybe too mellow. surprised
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Wow. And 2 of those would appear to be short instrumentals. So it's more like an ep. I guess I'll wait and get this one on the cheap.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Wow. And 2 of those would appear to be short instrumentals. So it's more like an ep. I guess I'll wait and get this one on the cheap.

Damn. Didn't even notice the song lengths. Yeah, screw that. Even with Amazon Prime, $10 is too much for five "real" songs.

And again, why didn't he dip into the Cinderella archives for a few more tunes? These guys are dopes, I swear!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

The old songs must be wrapped up in legal red-tape. It's the only logical explanation. Or yea, maybe they are just dopes. drunken

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Quote :
The old songs must be wrapped up in legal red-tape. It's the only logical explanation. Or yea, maybe they are just dopes.

It seems likely that he wouldn't want to use old Cinderella songs that he didn't write on a personal solo project.

That said, why this being marketed as a solo album is beyond me; it has the length and content of an EP if you take out the two instrumentals.

Here's my breakdown of it:

"No Strings"--a good opening song, and his voice works well on it. There are some nice leads on this track too.

"Asking for a Beating"--starts off with a cool riff, but then just kind of plods along for the remaining four minutes. The chorus is really weak on this one.

"Muse"--pointless acoustic instrumental.

"Hello or Goodbye"--not a bad acoustic song. The chorus is just mediocre, and Jeff's voice doesn't help it much.

"Ode to Page"--another acoustic instrumental; the bizarre thing is that "Muse" actually sounds more like Jimmy Page than this one. I suppose it is not hard to imagine Jimmy jamming out something similar to either of these during one of Zeppelin's mini-acoustic sets though.

"Nightmare on My Street"--heaviest song on the album. I actually like this song a lot, it just lacks some power in the vocals. If Tom Keifer was doing guest vocals on this song it would be great.

"One for the Road"--a slower blues-based song, like something you'd expect from 90's Great White. It's a cool song.

As an EP without the instrumentals I would give this 6.5/10; as it stands I give a 2/10 for trying to pass it off and sell it as a full solo album.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Jeff LaBar - One For The Road 78709-9Fr
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:45 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :
The old songs must be wrapped up in legal red-tape. It's the only logical explanation. Or yea, maybe they are just dopes.

It seems likely that he wouldn't want to use old Cinderella songs that he didn't write on a personal solo project.

That said, why this being marketed as a solo album is beyond me; it has the length and content of an EP if you take out the two instrumentals.

Here's my breakdown of it:

"No Strings"--a good opening song, and his voice works well on it. There are some nice leads on this track too.

"Asking for a Beating"--starts off with a cool riff, but then just kind of plods along for the remaining four minutes. The chorus is really weak on this one.

"Muse"--pointless acoustic instrumental.

"Hello or Goodbye"--not a bad acoustic song. The chorus is just mediocre, and Jeff's voice doesn't help it much.

"Ode to Page"--another acoustic instrumental; the bizarre thing is that "Muse" actually sounds more like Jimmy Page than this one. I suppose it is not hard to imagine Jimmy jamming out something similar to either of these during one of Zeppelin's mini-acoustic sets though.

"Nightmare on My Street"--heaviest song on the album. I actually like this song a lot, it just lacks some power in the vocals. If Tom Keifer was doing guest vocals on this song it would be great.

"One for the Road"--a slower blues-based song, like something you'd expect from 90's Great White. It's a cool song.

As an EP without the instrumentals I would give this 6.5/10; as it stands I give a 2/10 for trying to pass it off and sell it as a full solo album.

Well, an EP can be a solo album. An EP is an album after all, and I don't think they tried to fool anyone into thinking it was a full-length.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 am

I listened to this on Spotify. Musically, I quite enjoyed it. I don't, however, like his vocals much. If he had another singer on here (doesn't need to be Keifer--I'm not trying to make him try and do a Cinderella record for his solo album), it'd be better and I'd probably be into buying it.

One thing though, if I am hearing the lyrics to "Asking for a Beating" correctly, it's about a woman. So...that doesn't really sit well with me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Quote :
One thing though, if I am hearing the lyrics to "Asking for a Beating" correctly, it's about a woman. So...that doesn't really sit well with me.

Hmmmm, pretty ballsy to write a song about beating your gal. Did Chris Brown co-write this?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 1:49 pm

I guess I didn't interpret it quite that literally, as it's kind of hard to imagine him supporting that kind of thing; but either way, definitely not very cool lyrics.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm

glassprison wrote:
I guess I didn't interpret it quite that literally, as it's kind of hard to imagine him supporting that kind of thing; but either way, definitely not very cool lyrics.

I haven't heard the song myself, but could it possibly be like Alice Cooper's 'Only Women Bleed'? Easy to misinterpret upon first glance, but maybe there's a deeper, hidden meaning? I dunno.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I listened to this on Spotify. Musically, I quite enjoyed it. I don't, however, like his vocals much. If he had another singer on here (doesn't need to be Keifer--I'm not trying to make him try and do a Cinderella record for his solo album), it'd be better and I'd probably be into buying it.

What if it's about Nancy Grace?
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
glassprison wrote:

I haven't heard the song myself, but could it possibly be like Alice Cooper's 'Only Women Bleed'? Easy to misinterpret upon first glance, but maybe there's a deeper, hidden meaning? I dunno.

I listened to the song this morning on the way to work, just to make sure I wasn't unjustly throwing out any negative vibes. Yeah, I don't see any other way to hear the lyrics that are coming out of his mouth. Definitely about a girl. Definitely involves a not-that-great-sounding relationship. Definitely says she's asking for a beating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff LaBar - One For The Road   Jeff LaBar - One For The Road Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeff LaBar - One For The Road
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next