Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Weird Al!!!

Go down 
+5
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
exact33
9 posters
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 am

New Weird Al!!! 81cPt0wKVIL._SL1500_

coming out July 15!

Fans of Weird Al Yankovic might have thought the world had come to an end because it's been three years since his last album, "Alpocalypse," came out.

Come Tuesday, the lacerator of lyrics returns with "Mandatory Fun," a new disc featuring parodies of 12 current songs. (Let's hope "Word Crimes" is a spoof on "Blurred Lines." And maybe "Tacky" is a takeoff on "Happy.")

1. Handy
2. Lame Claim to Fame
3. Foil
4. Sports Song
5. Word Crimes
6. My Own Eyes
7. NOW That's What I Call Polka!
8. Mission Statement
9. Inactive
10. First World Problems
11. Tacky
12. Jackson Park Express

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:20 pm

The world is good again!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:22 pm

it really is - especially since Alpocalypse was great.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

GO AL!!

It's strange but true: "Weird Al" Yankovic, the pop-song parodist who seemed to peak in popularity in the mid 1980s, finally scored his first No. 1 album this week.

"Mandatory Fun," Yankovic's 14th studio disc, topped the Billboard 200 chart Wednesday with sales of 104,000 copies in the week that ended July 20, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"If you'd told me 30 years ago this would happen, I never would've believed it," the singer wrote early Wednesday on Twitter. "If you'd told me 2 WEEKS ago, I never would've believed it."

As Billboard's Keith Caulfield points out, "Mandatory Fun" is the first comedy album to hit No. 1 on the tally since 1963, when Allan Sherman's "My Son, the Nut" -- made famous by "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter from Camp)" -- spent eight weeks there.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 am

Congrats to Al on his #1 album. He deserves it!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

I heard First World Problems. It's okay I guess, I don't really get the big deal about this guy though. The joke got old about the third time I heard Eat It for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I heard First World Problems. It's okay I guess, I don't really get the big deal about this guy though. The joke got old about the third time I heard Eat It for me.

In theory, he should have been a one-hit wonder, where-is-he-now, novelty act for sure. But he's managed to keep it going all these years. That alone earns my respect. The clever lyrics are a plus too.

My only issue with him these days is that I'm so out of the loop on pop music these days, I barely recognize the songs he's parodying anymore. New Weird Al!!! 251456 

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Quote :
My only issue with him these days is that I'm so out of the loop on pop music these days, I barely recognize the songs he's parodying anymore.

Same here. I read the list of tracks that Al's parodying on his new album and I only know a couple of the artists, or the songs...who the hell is Iggy Azalea? Robin Thicke? Imagine Dragons?

Yup, I'm old.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
My only issue with him these days is that I'm so out of the loop on pop music these days, I barely recognize the songs he's parodying anymore.

Same here. I read the list of tracks that Al's parodying on his new album and I only know a couple of the artists, or the songs...who the hell is Iggy Azalea? Robin Thicke? Imagine Dragons?

Yup, I'm old.

Yep - that's why I have zero interest in the album...... Nice work on the # 1 - good to see he finally got one in his long career.

I saw him live back in 99 or 2000, was a fun show.

And UHF is a cult classic......
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Quote :

I love that movie!! Just saw it again earlier this year for the first time in years, still funny as hell. "Look up! Look down! Now look at Mister Frying Pan! (WHACK!)"

Supposedly Al has dropped some hints about doing "something special" to celebrate UHF's 25th anniversary later this summer... maybe a sooper dooper deluxe DVD/BluRay release?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I love that movie!! Just saw it again earlier this year for the first time in years, still funny as hell. "Look up! Look down! Now look at Mister Frying Pan! (WHACK!)"

Supposedly Al has dropped some hints about doing "something special" to celebrate UHF's 25th anniversary later this summer... maybe a sooper dooper deluxe DVD/BluRay release?

Now that he has a "#1 Billboard" album, I'm sure the world is his oyster.  Razz 

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm

One cool thing is that he has had the exact same band for 35 years. THAT is a tough thing to do!

On a side note, I saw Al the night after his folks died. Before the show started it said on the big screen "Tonight's show is dedicated to Al's parents". Well, the news of that tragedy had not even been released yet, so no one knew what that was about. Al came on and put on the best show I ever seen him do [I have seen them 5 times]. I got home and read on AOL what had happened. He got all my respect right then and I have been a mega-fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

I could've seen him live once when I was in Chicago a few years ago on a business trip. I passed, but now I kinda wish I didn't.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I actually saw that one in the theater, believe it or not! A friend got free tickets to a radio station free preview prior to actual release (he was doing some work for them at the time.) I think it lasted through the first weekend and was quickly pulled from theaters.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:37 pm

^^ Yeah, "UHF" crashed & burned when it was first released. I remember wanting to go to a theater to see it when it came out but it disappeared too fast.
In his "Behind the Music" episode, they said it did great during test screenings but then it had the dumb luck to be scheduled during one of the most competitive summer movie seasons in history -- it was up against the first Tim Burton "Batman" movie, "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade," "Lethal Weapon 2," etc. -- all these huge franchise movies, so "UHF" just got crushed.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ Yeah, "UHF" crashed & burned when it was first released. I remember wanting to go to a theater to see it when it came out but it disappeared too fast.
In his "Behind the Music" episode, they said it did great during test screenings but then it had the dumb luck to be scheduled during one of the most competitive summer movie seasons in history -- it was up against the first Tim Burton "Batman" movie, "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade," "Lethal Weapon 2," etc. -- all these huge franchise movies, so "UHF" just got crushed.

Yep, pretty much... That summer also brought us other hits Dead Poets' Society, Ghostbusters II, Honey I shrunk the kids, When harry met sally, uncle buck, parenthood, turner & hooch, the abyss... it never stood a chance! Heck, even James Bond (License to Kill) and Star Trek (V - well, that one did suck.... big time) got lost in the mix......

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:58 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yep, pretty much... That summer also brought us other hits Dead Poets' Society, Ghostbusters II, Honey I shrunk the kids, When harry met sally, uncle buck, parenthood, turner & hooch, the abyss... it never stood a chance! Heck, even James Bond (License to Kill) and Star Trek (V - well, that one did suck.... big time) got lost in the mix......

Good Lord. I never knew that was such a good year for movies.

UHF is funny as hell IMO...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Good Lord. I never knew that was such a good year for movies.

UHF is funny as hell IMO...

Yep..... the year Hollywood figured out you can make the production budget of a flick back on opening weekend with a huge "opening weekend" push.....

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 pm

I think weird al is great. One of my favorite songs:

mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Just found this on YouTube and thought I would share. It is quite entertaining.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 am

Ok, I lost it. That was brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am

Found out recently that Amanda Palmer sings backing vocals on First World Problems. Which is a plus point for me.

I think the Huey Lewis thing was from this years Emmy's. Huey pulls it off brilliantly! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:36 pm

the new album is really good. I have to say Weird Al is getting better with age.

Sponsored content

New Weird Al!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Weird Al!!!   New Weird Al!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Weird Al!!!
Page 1 of 1