Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vio-lence

Go down 
+9
T-Roy
Required Fields
KissinMaiden
Lurideath
Thrasher73
Olafsto
SideShowDisaSter
Invader
Temple of Blood
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:18 pm

I just stumbled upon MP3s of Eternal Nightmare by Vio-lence. I think this album is awesome thrash metal. Top of the heap. Except for HIM. Sean Killian. His vocals ruin this album for me. He sounds a bit like Bobcat Goldthwait. Cheesy Rice! What were they thinking about when they chose him? Was he the only one with equipment and a van?

Does anyone think that he is a good vocalist and for what reasons?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:20 pm

I can't stand it when people judge thrash bands by the vocalist. Talk about missing the point.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:22 pm

Sean's vocals were really annoying at the start, but I got use to his voice after some time.
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I can't stand it when people judge thrash bands by the vocalist. Talk about missing the point.

How can you skip Sean Killian's vocals? I can see skipping over Baloff's or that guy from Faith or Fear, but Killian is THERE. In your face. Spitting. Wailing.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Never bothered me. But I am busy listening to the riffs, leads, and drumming. I am not vocal-centric when it comes to metal, there should be enough other cool things to listen to.

I can't stand bands who have technically great singers but the music is 100% stock and faceless. And there seems to be a lot of that going around in today's flower metal circles.
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Temple,

I agree with you. I love your vocals on your first album. They may not be "perfect" like so many bands in the Pro Tools world, but they suit the music perfectly. I mean I love the band WRATH. Wow, have you heard Gary Golwitzer? Talk about shrieking! But I love him the same, his vocals fit. My point is that the Eternal Nightmare is so good musically, that the vocals are distracting. I think that's why they weren't as big as Testament or Exodus.
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Strange comment. It's kind of hard to ignore vocals. If it was all about the music, why have a vocalist? A bad vocalist can ruin an otherwise great band.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4597

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:40 pm

I don't mind Killian at all. Sure, he is off-putting at first, but I think the more you listen to them the more you hear how he fits what Robb and Phil do as far as riffs and solos go.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Strange comment. It's kind of hard to ignore vocals. If it was all about the music, why have a vocalist? A bad vocalist can ruin an otherwise great band.

Agree with Eyesore here! No matter how good the music is, a bad vocalist can ruin it. And why put anything out on record if it is bad?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:59 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Temple,

I agree with you. I love your vocals on your first album. They may not be "perfect" like so many bands in the Pro Tools world, but they suit the music perfectly. I mean I love the band WRATH. Wow, have you heard Gary Golwitzer? Talk about shrieking! But I love him the same, his vocals fit. My point is that the Eternal Nightmare is so good musically, that the vocals are distracting. I think that's why they weren't as big as Testament or Exodus.

To me, in the areas of metal that are less melodic and more dynamic riff-wise, the vocals can begin to take a back seat to the music. Does that mean they are not important at all? No, just perhaps less than other things. I could see how Wrath could benefit from a more melodic vocalist, like King Diamond, but what I remember from their music was that the guitar work was pretty good.

The only thrash vocalist I can think of who actively annoys me is Baloff, and that is just because he isn't in time with the music. But it doesn't prevent me from listening to "Bonded by Blood".

I guess I posted my previous comment because I am SOOOOO sick of reviews of metal (especially thrash or death metal) albums where they review it as follows:

1) general overview of genre the band fits in
2) I like the vocals OR I hate the vocals
3) End of album review

I have read many album reviews that boil down to little more than that. It just makes me wonder why they listen to that genre anyway if they want Geoff Tate to sing for every band.
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Sean Killian's vocals are refreshingly VIO-LENT! Thats the point...vocally he is what he is.Sean would be the first guy to tell you that he's not Pavorotti.Go listen to "Oppressing The Masses","Torture Tactics","Nothing To Gain" then judge,although his vocals are pretty much the same on those you will get a better feel for not only Sean,but the entire band-thrash legends that they are.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:20 pm

I dont mind Killians vocals at all.I think it fits the music pretty good,but I know alot of bands that I cant stand for that reason.
And I would like to add that Eternal Nightmare is one of the best thrash albums of all time
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3887

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:55 pm

I always thought Etenal Nightmare was ahead of its game and Sean's vocals fit the music perfectly. I don't even like clean vocals in thrash, but Violence was an exception. I got their demo from Metal Maniacs way back in the day and loved that and the 1st album!! It was unique and really angry, yet musical and thought out. Couldn't get into Oppressing the masses or the ones that followed, but Eternal Nightmare is a classic!
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 am

I never minded the vocals, can't expect much out of thrash vocals haha. It ain't prog or power metal.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28368

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

He is technically not a great vocalist at all, but he fits the music well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Lurideath wrote:
I don't even like clean vocals in thrash, but Violence was an exception.

I've never thought of Sean's vocals as "clean" really, but I guess since they're not death metal vocals it's all relative.
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Sean Killian is one of my favorite vocalists in thrash metal. I'm not even going to throw out the "he's not technically great" or "he fits the music well" line into the equation either. I think he's f'n great. Period. I love his manic vocal approach. I find it very interesting and pleasing to my ear, if you can believe that. While the music is what's most important (to me at least), a boring vocalist can ruin things sometimes. Killian certainly isn't boring.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:13 pm

"decapitate"....now that user name is PURE 🤘!
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:15 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Personally, I was torn between the names spectrefate and impaledcolon. I think I made the right choice. Smile
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Laughing very hard, OH I DISAGREE, I think you missed it!
Back to top Go down

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:56 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Thanks! 🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 2:09 pm

I never liked Killian's vocals either. Too antagonizing for me. Vio-Lence were an amazing band musically though.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 659

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
I agree 100%. If you don't like the singer then most of the time the band won't be a real big player on your stereo. I know I'll get slammed for this but I've always thought of the singer as the most important part of a bands sound. Now that doesn't mean that some bands haven't lost something very important to their sound by losing a guitarist, drummer etc. though. To me the drum sound means a good bit as well. Some of my friends though could care less about the drummer and might not even notice if a band had one or not. Haha. I guess it's just different for different folks.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28368

Vio-lence Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vio-lence   Vio-lence Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 am

They're working on a new EP.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/reunited-vio-lence-to-record-new-ep/
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan