Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)

Go down 
+6
Thrasher73
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
Addy
Icy Grave
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Icy Grave
Metal student
Metal student
Icy Grave

Number of posts : 229

Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Empty
PostSubject: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Here's one I've wanted to do for a while. And the reason why is because of the band:

Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Megadeth-Super-Collider

Band: Megadeth
Album: Super Collider
Genre: Thrash Metal; Heavy Metal
Year: 2013
Label(s): Tradecraft [United States]

Line-up
David Ellefson [bass]
Dave Mustaine [guitars, vocals]
Shawn Drover [drums]
Chris Broderick [guitars]

Track listing
1) Kingmaker
2) Super Collider
3) Burn!
4) Built for War
5) Off the Edge
6) Dance in the Rain
7) Beginning of Sorrow
Cool The Blackest Crow
9) Forget to Remember
10) Don't Turn Your Back...
11) Cold Sweat

I remember when this album was first announced on their website and when Wikipedia got hold of it. I don't remember how excited everyone was when it was announced, but I do know that I was definitely cracking. I listened to Endgame and TH1RT3EN over and over while waiting for the details of Megadeth's 14th studio album. I remember that the latter was particularly hyped since David Ellefson officially bumped fists with the band after twelve years of animosity. The end result of their then most recent LP wasn't all that impressive, from what I can remember. Even with the return of their former bassist, the cracks in Megadeth's armor were starting to show a little. Time certainly isn't kind to some bands. Megadeth is one of those bands and we can hear it in Super Collider.

The Album: The album itself wasn't expected to be a truly massive monster of thrash. Mustaine's over 50 years old and the band is 30. It was not expected to break any new ground to an already oversaturated modern thrash market with nothing truly interesting being brought to the forefront. However, Megadeth proved they still had the cojones to contribute heavily to the modern thrash scene by putting out their best album since Rust in Peace, the thrash-tastic Endgame. Now where was the band to go from here? Well, less than a year later before they began working on their new album, David Ellefson decided to reunite with the band, citing any and all personal issues from before had been resolved. With this epic reunion, the band was ready to begin recording their next big album, TH1RT3EN. The end result was less than impressive, but it was still decent. With that behind them, what would the future hold for 2013?

The Songs: I'll just say it right now. I was less than impressed with the songs here. All of them are very hit-and-miss. I was already far removed from the thought that Megadeth could do no wrong (Dave Mustaine using his newly founded religious beliefs to turn down a show with Rotting Christ, The World Needs a Hero, his inflammatory remarks towards his own fanbase regarding this release), but as much as I wanted to say that the band had run out of steam, I just had to look back at Endgame and all the good parts of TH1RT3EN. Good times! So maybe that was just a precursor to what they labeled as the follow-up to their 2011 LP. Shame that I was in denial. There's so many songs on here that are either mediocre or just plain bad. No songs are great, no songs seem to get any sense of true speed. They all just seem to sit in the same stagnant pool of average mediocrity.

And considering the recent successes of this album's two predecessors, that's certainly disheartening to accept.

The album starts off strong with "Kingmaker," a song rooted in groove that starts off with a nice bass lead from Ellefson. In fact, Ellefson is probably the king of the mountain on this album. He's still got chops and knows how to pull off plenty of metal-worthy swing. If I had a band, I'd certainly commission Ellefson to do some bass solos here and there. The man is just that good. All the other band members do their collective jobs, but they commit the most offensive sin of any metal band: there's no spirit. Most of these songs feel like they could have used a severe adrenaline rush and were nothing like they could have been. You have no idea how disgusted I was when I heard "Burn!" This was supposed to be the second single (I think) from this album. I did myself and the band a huge disservice by listening to this song from start to finish. There's nothing here that stands out at all, not even Dave's guitar work.

The man is, and always will be, an amazing lead guitarist who is more than capable, even at this age, to churn out blistering fast guitar work. God knows Hetfield missed out when he kicked Mustaine out of Metallica. Just listen to Endgame or "Never Dead" from TH1RT3EN. Even at 52 years old, this man still knows how to thrash. I don't know what happened in the studio for them to make the song a mid-paced number. With a title like "Burn!" I expected to be burned by the flames of pure guitarmony and breakneck speed. But no. I got a kick in the nuts.

The following track "Built for War" isn't all bad and has some neat guitar work. I like the melodic guitar lead Chris does and harmonic vocals Mustaine pulls off. It even has the growling Mustaine vocals that I love hearing so much. However, the lyrics are lacking in aggression. It's got that, but it's not that "I'm going to f*cking kill you, there's no f*cking way you will ever escape" over-the-top anger that so willingly perpetuates Megadeth's lyrical resume. Just a little bit more aggression and that would have sealed the deal for me. This track gets a pass from me. It's got more speed to it like "Kingmaker," so that's good. The following track "Off the Edge" is back to blandness, especially in the lyrical department. I REALLY hate the lyrics in this song. Mustaine seems to really have lost the edge to write good lyrics to save his soul. I get it. He's made it halfway in life and there's never going to be the lyrical brilliance of stuff like "Bad Omen" or "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" or "Lucretia." While the lyrics on TH1RT3EN weren't amazing, there was more inspiration there than here. The entire song is so worthless, I hate the fact the band actually agreed to put this on the album.

The next song is arguably my favorite. It probably took me off guard the most because of who does guest vocals. He enlisted David Draiman, principal vocalist of bands Disturbed and Device. Immediately, I was skeptical of the quality of the track before even listening to it. I've listened to Device once before, but I've listened to Disturbed more times than I can count and considering how lambasted the band gets by "true metalheads," I was admittedly nervous about how the track would turn out. However, my assumptions were wrong. "Dance in the Rain" is a really good track, certainly the best song on the album with it's thrashy bridge that closes out the song in a blaze of glory. With the way it's structured, I wanna call it a sort-of pseudo sequel to "The Right to Go Insane" because both songs talk about the same thing. It's solos are a step up in comparison to at least 50% of this album's lead guitar work, which for a guy like Mustaine, is less than impressive here and certainly not on par with other stuff he's done. But at least we can agree that this guitar work is better than Risk.

Next is "The Beginning of Sorrow." Not a throwaway track, but not one you'll find yourself listening to a lot. This song has guest vocals by his daughter, Electra Mustaine, who has a very beautiful voice, I should mention. She performed her father's band's most emotional song "A Tout le Monde." She did a fantastic job on covering the song (you should go check it out, by the way)). Beyond that, there's nothing ultimately special about this track. I'm just bored at this point with the album and am already siphoning through other, much better Megadeth songs.

You may as well forget about the next three tracks "The Blackest Crow," "Forget to Remember," and "Don't Turn Your Back..." "The Blackest Crow" breaks out into a southern fried banjo opening so silly and unmetal that I can't help but think that Volbeat sat in the studio giving them cues. Seriously, I was thrown back to "Devil or the Blue Cat's Song."  Nothing against Volbeat, but really, when I think of Megadeth, I don't think of the kind of rockabilly heavy metal that Volbeat does. That's way out in left field as opposed to Megadeth, which is/used to be balls-to-the-wall thrash metal. God, I'm really stretching. I don't want to review this album anymore. The next two songs are completely filler and totally skippable. Nothing but bland, run-of-the-mill metal that has no redeeming qualities to speak of. At this point, you're just begging for the end to come and when it finally does with a song with a familiar title like "Cold Sweat," you're relieved that there's something to grab onto. Mustaine has always been good at writing songs about gambling and taking risks ("My Last Words," "Train of Consequences," "Play for Blood") and while this one is the least impressive out of all that he's written, it still can qualify of one of those Megadeth tracks about losing it all in the heat of the moment, the unlucky son of a bitch who gambles it all away, all for nothing with everything to lose and nothing to gain. Mustaine's chops show their quality here in the solo about halfway through the song. Him and Chris do some wonderful tremolo picking trade-offs around that time that sound amazing as hell.

Oh, but wait! It's a cover of a Thin Lizzy song?! Damn it... So three good originals and one good cover? That really freaking blows.

The Production: Modern sounding, but that's not a deterrent. I understand that Megadeth is well over 30 years old, so there has to be some solace given for even the type of production they chose. They're not with Capitol. They're not with Sanctuary, and they're not with Roadrunner (thanks Vic, right?), but they're instead with Tradecraft, Dave's own record label. In all fairness, I can respect the man for putting this album out on his own label instead of going for one of those big labels again. I can truly respect that, so I can give the modern clean production a break.

Overall: I was horrendously disappointed with this release. You have no idea. I've been a Megadeth fan for almost twelve years so far and I've acquired, at this point, all of the band's LPs. I've loved the band from their humble (anger-filled?) beginnings with Killing is My Business...And Business is Good! to their highest moments with Rust in Peace) to their lowest, most controversial moments with Risk and The World Needs a Hero to their triumphant return to their massive thrash sound with Endgame. I can say that I'm a real HUGE Megadeth song and know my 'Deth shit. But had I known this album was going to be this bad, I would have never even bothered to buy it. I would have just downloaded it instead. I have much better albums to spend my money on and much better Megadeth albums to listen to.

In fact, I think I'm going to make a playlist of my personal favorite Megadeth albums, randomize them, and have an old-fashioned marathon thrashing out with Megadeth. Maybe it'll help me forget this album's bittersweet taste it left upon my taste buds.

Final Rating: 4 demon horns out of 10

Recommended: "Kingmaker," "Dance in the Rain," "Built for War" and "Cold Sweat." Download those and forget about the rest.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 9:48 am

I still need to pick this one up, I love Megadeth
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 9:55 am

I'm a Deth fanboy but I felt that S.C. was just OK. The last album I was really crazy about was Endgame.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 10:35 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm a Deth fanboy but I felt that S.C. was just OK. The last album I was really crazy about was Endgame.

Endgame didnt do much for me like TSHF, UA and Thirt3en did
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Painkiller wrote:
It's a really embarrassing album. Megadeth hasn't mattered to me since Youthanasia.

Also, Dave Mustaine is a right-wing Christian nutjob, high on crackpot conspiracy theories. F*ck that guy.

So Dave was more acceptable when he was a left-wing Atheist nutjob in the 80s and 90s?

Not that it really matters because Dave's political thoughts are all over the map and rarely, if ever, coherent or consistent.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
It's a really embarrassing album. Megadeth hasn't mattered to me since Youthanasia.

Also, Dave Mustaine is a right-wing Christian nutjob, high on crackpot conspiracy theories. F*ck that guy.

So Dave was more acceptable when he was a left-wing Atheist nutjob in the 80s and 90s?

Not that it really matters because Dave's political thoughts are all over the map and rarely, if ever, coherent or consistent.

I was gonna say, he was always about conspiracy theories, and you can't really call him right-wing since he waffles quite a bit and in the end is as anti-gov as always. In any case, so what?

This album really wasn't that bad. Wasn't that good either, but not nearly the train wreck that Cryptic and Risk were. Hell, I'd put it right up there with Youthanasia.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 6:54 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Painkiller wrote:

I was gonna say, he was always about conspiracy theories, and you can't really call him right-wing since he waffles quite a bit and in the end is as anti-gov as always. In any case, so what?

This album really wasn't that bad. Wasn't that good either, but not nearly the train wreck that Cryptic and Risk were. Hell, I'd put it right up there with Youthanasia.

To me this album accomplished what was Risk was trying to do and failed.  It was a commercial album that actually had several enjoyable songs on it.  I think Cryptic Writings is better than Super Collider because I like more songs from that album. Super Collder the song is absolutely god awful though.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Super Collder the song is absolutely god awful though.

Yes it is, could be their worst in fact, but I'd really have to think about that. I also can't stand how Kingmaker rips off (pays homage to, depending on opinion) Children of the Grave. Other than those two quibbles, I agree it's a successful Risk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

No, he was more acceptable when he actually wrote music that didn't suck. I don't care what cartoon characters people believe in, but he takes his views to the extremes.

One thing is for sure: the dude does not know how to be interviewed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Painkiller wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
One thing is for sure: the dude does not know how to be interviewed.
He says a lot of outrageous things. That's obviously always been his way. I just think his attitude got even nastier.

For example, he claimed the Sandy Hook Elementary School and Wisconsin Sikh temple shootings were "staged" by the Obama administration.

That's just taking stupidity to a whole new level.

Yeah he buys into a lot of that Alex Jones bullshit. I believe Jon Schaffer does too, but at least he keeps his mouth shut for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Icy Grave
Metal student
Metal student
Icy Grave

Number of posts : 229

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:42 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Super Collder the song is absolutely god awful though.

Yes it is, could be their worst in fact, but I'd really have to think about that. I also can't stand how Kingmaker rips off (pays homage to, depending on opinion) Children of the Grave. Other than those two quibbles, I agree it's a successful Risk.

Risk, to me, was the king of their commercial albums in the '90s. The World Needs a Hero is their most tragic experiment, though. You know what I hate the most about any artist, musician, or band or whatever-the-F*ck? When they make promises they can't keep or overinflate the hype of an album and it just deflates pitifully right in the faces of their fans; and themselves.

Dave Mustaine touted from his flapping jaws that the album was a return to their heavy, thrashy roots. It was obviously an attempt to remain popular with their fanbase after many branded them as pariahs for "selling out" because that obvious brass balls anecdote failed to bring any sort of popular opinion to the Megadeth name. The album was disjointed as hell and just felt so rushed where Risk, while incredibly mainstream, took its time and felt passionate (for what it was).

TWNAH was just Mustaine going, "Okay, guys, we're losing traction out there with the fans. They're not liking the new direction we're taking. We've gotta make the next album solid, heavy, and thrashy! It's gonna be a return to the old while continuing to embrace the new!" Yeah, that's why you needed to milk your best song "Hangar 18" with an unnecessary, albeit kinda cool, sequel? Gimme a break. That may as well be why Ellefson said, "Catch you on the flipside, Dave."
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:56 pm

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a band's "sequel" to their own song, whether it be Unforgiven, Tout le Monde, Operation Mindcrime, or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 3:16 am

I'm a big Deth fanboy and I thought SC was just ok.Nothing great at all just decent.I think the last album I really thought was great was United Abominations.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:33 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I'm a big Deth fanboy

headbanger cool 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 10:09 am

Love Super Collider (album & song). Just played it last week and it still sounds great. One of the more consistent 'deth albums I've heard in awhile. And I too am a fanboy.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39554

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 12:30 pm

I have no issues with Super Collider either. It's a good listen beginning to end.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 5:34 pm

Up until this point, everything Megadeth has ever put out has been satisfactory and insta-catchy. Hell, even "Risk" had it's moments.

I still remember how disappointed I was when I first listened to "Super Collider." Especially when I was 5 songs into it and not a single one of them stuck out to me.

Even paid extra for the deluxe edition with bonus tracks  Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3169

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Saw them a few years ago in Lowell - and the power of the sheer volume - wow
Add to it speed - and the lightning fast guitar leads - it was over the top !
Dave's a wild guy.  cool This is better than any recent Metallica.
He always sings with a mixture of danger and anger in his voice - menacing -
went to youtube - and he sure 'borrowed' from Children of the Grave - LOL
to me, that's easily overlookable - even a tip of his cap to the Oz man !
This CD rocks. No doubt about it. Just like " Rust In Peace " did -
I'm buying this one. Never knew it was out !!!
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Glower wrote:
Just like " Rust In Peace " did -

Too far.  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)   Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Album Review: Megadeth - Super Collider (2013)
Page 1 of 1