Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Go down 
+9
Tall Tyrion
GrandNational
Neuropete
Wargod
journeyman
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
the sentinel
13 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 11:13 am

Are there any SRV fans here besides me? If so, what's your favorite album/song? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 12:12 pm

Sentinel, another similarity in taste. SRV is my favorite guitarist ever. My favorite song is Couldn't Stand The Weather, and my favorite album is the Live @ Montreaux 2 disc set that came out a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 6:08 pm

That's cool. I wouldn't say that he's my favorite guitarist (that would have to be Satriani) but I have liked him for a while. My Uncle got me into him in the early 1990's and despite pushing away anything that wasn't super heavy (like Death Angel, Nuclear Assault, Megadeth, Metallica, etc.) I actually started to like him. I got a copy of "The Sky is Cryin" (on cassette, of course) and loved it. Peace.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:47 am

I like SRV. I don't think he's the be-all/end-all guitarist though. He's obviously a good player, but never understood all the hype. I hear people say, "he plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." HARDLY! A radio DJ this morning said he was "one of the greatest guitarists ever". That's a mighty big claim. He's good, but not exactly an innovator or really doing anything all that ground breaking or difficult.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:33 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I like SRV. I don't think he's the be-all/end-all guitarist though. He's obviously a good player, but never understood all the hype. I hear people say, "he plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." HARDLY! A radio DJ this morning said he was "one of the greatest guitarists ever". That's a mighty big claim. He's good, but not exactly an innovator or really doing anything all that ground breaking or difficult.

I can totally agree. I don't think he's the "be all, end all" either. I like him well enough, but I think his untimely demise gives him a little more praise than he really deserves. Peace.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Big fan here. Back when I was in college, I started listening to SRV and that got me to other blues guitarists. I love everything he did. My wife & I danced to Riviera Paradise at our wedding.

While I'm a big fan, I'd agree with both Ult & Sentinel. I don't think he was the be all, end all of blues guitarists. There were plenty white guys playing the blues before him. SRV got lucky as he was in the right place at the right time. He got a major push from both the Stones & David Bowie early on in his career and his unfortunate, untimely death automatically shot him into legendary status.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:33 am

I love SRV. I completely understand the hype around the man. He is/was a fantastic player that bridged the gap between blues and rock, not since Hendrix had that happened. He also ignited the blues revival of the 1980's. He sounded like no other guitarist at the time.

Fav. Song(s): Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:02 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Are there any SRV fans here besides me? If so, what's your favorite album/song? Very Happy

Fantastic Player!..........SRV (R.I.P.)
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 11:23 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
I love SRV. I completely understand the hype around the man. He is/was a fantastic player that bridged the gap between blues and rock, not since Hendrix had that happened. He also ignited the blues revival of the 1980's. He sounded like no other guitarist at the time.

Fav. Song(s): Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather

Agree completely.

SRV brought about a lot of innovation to the guitar and pretty much saved the blues from falling off of the mainstream map. He didn't just play the blues, he brought the blues alive. Consider the time frame of SRV's fame. He ran counter to Michael Jackson, Madonna, Daran Daran while all along maintaining integrity and focus. He was a bright light during a dark time. Who could cover Hendrix and have the critics say that he did it better than Hendrix.

as for favorites:
Couldn't Stand the Weather - from the first notes of Scuttle Buttin' the the last chords of Stang's Swang.
Texas Flood - yeah! enough said.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:11 am

A great blues guitar player. To me he put blues on the map back in his day. And to those who say he plays better than Jimi ha ha, he has his own style and in concert he was fantastic.
I think he was better after he got sober and I got see him a month before his tragic helicopter crash in Fargo along with Jeff Beck.
I have everything he put out! "Willie The Wimp" is my fav!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 6:42 pm

My favorite piece from him is "Little Wing". This my no means implies that I think he plays it better than Hendrix. NO ONE plays better than Hendrix. However, his version is one of my all-time favorie Hendrix covers.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 12:45 am

Love SRV. Have all the studio albums + like 3 live albums. Texas Flood is such a cool album.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 am

He reinterpreted Hendrix and made the songs his own. No mean feat there, but he was a really great guitar player, not the greatest ever. Kenny Wayne Sheppard is better, but he's still alive. An untimely death almost always ensures a "legendary" status and causes people's opinions to elevate.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2022 4:00 pm

I’m reading a book called “ Caught In the Crossfire “.
I started reading at page 219. He was a big time AA meetings guy.
I then went to page 100. It’s a blues book for sure.
And I forgot about his brother Jimmie - in the THUNDERBIRDS.
Stevie was 5 foot 5. Died in 1990. Had a Phoinex tattoo on his chest.
Watched this video - and smiled and smiled.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2022 6:31 pm

SRV is a legend!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2022 6:50 pm

Funny this post popped back up. I was watching that rather dreadful Michael Keaton Christmas movie Jack Frost the other night, and what song is in the movie? Vaughn's "Couldn't Stand The Weather", a favorite track of mine. I've always preferred him over Hendrix for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2022 1:38 pm

I really dig on Blues...

Not much of a SRV fan.

Stevie Ray Vaughn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn   Stevie Ray Vaughn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: