Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JP - Point of Entry

Go down 
+25
Troublezone
stepcousin
80s Metal Lady
brokentulsa
nevermore
JBall_Z
Thelemech
corplhicks
Lari
jstate
ultmetal
mc666
metalinmyveins
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
candlemass
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm

I like some too, but a few like "Parental Guidance" and "Private Property" have no business being on a Priest lp, perhaps not even on a Poison lp!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm

The only Priest that I don't really care for or ever listen to is Turbo. I like Point of Entry myself. It was Priest trying to re-create British Steel and build on the success of Living After Midnight and Breaking the Law. Frankly, it wouldn't be in my Top 5, but I do like it quite a bit.

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I like it okay. I've discovered in recent years that Priest is not really essential to me. I pretty much just need Painkiller (the album) and then like a comp of hand-picked tracks from the rest of their albums prior to Painkiller and I'm set for Priest.

But yeah. PoE is good enough.

Really? They have so many albums that I think are solid from front to back. Sad Wings, Stained Class, Hell Bent for Leather. I'm one that prefers their 70's output to Painkiller, but I love PK too.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't like "Turbo" because they completely sold out the Priest fans on that one, they looked ridiculous in the new garb, and them all getting perms! ...but it worked, sold a ton and the beeny boppers loved it. I think on "Ram it Down" they were trying to find themselves again, after going completely out of character on the previous lp, they were kinda lost on this one, it's just not very good.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm a fan of all Priest, but I can safely say that Point Of Entry is my favorite. It'll always be the first one I reach for when I want a JP fix.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:26 pm

candlemass wrote:
I like some too, but a few like "Parental Guidance" and "Private Property" have no business being on a Priest lp, perhaps not even on a Poison lp!  affraid 

I can listen to those two songs off Turbo all day long. The tr00 horrors on that album are "Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days" and "Hot For Love."  sick 

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:53 pm

Point of Entry isn't all that great. Priest as a band is supposed to be edgy and metal, but there's some oddball tracks on this album. And the whole sound was strangely tame.

Why it still holds up though is because it lacks overplayed tunes. It's kind of fun to play it and hear this side of Priest.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Lari wrote:
Point of Entry isn't all that great. Priest as a band is supposed to be edgy and metal, but there's some oddball tracks on this album. And the whole sound was strangely tame.

Why it still holds up though is because it lacks overplayed tunes. It's kind of fun to play it and hear this side of Priest.

This. I do enjoy it quite a bit, but it was obviously a packaged project that was rushed to meet demand. What Lari says about the tame sound is the biggest flaw. For whatever reason it lacks that punch that the Allom albums had. Somewhat bland, in fact. Otherwise it's nice to visit it here and there since you're getting a more classic Priest sound without wondering if you're listening to FM radio or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Bands aren't "supposed" to be anything except whatever they want to be.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
Bands aren't "supposed" to be anything except whatever they want to be.

True that, but once you establish yourself in a certain genre, very hard to be accepted if you move to far out from that...
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I find POE to be a solid and catchy JP album. Love Dessert Plains  headbanger 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 am

corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

This. I do enjoy it quite a bit, but it was obviously a packaged project that was rushed What Lari says about the tame sound is the biggest flaw. For whatever reason it lacks that punch that the Allom albums had..

You do realize that Tom Allom produced Point Of Entry?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 am

thejokeriv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

This. I do enjoy it quite a bit, but it was obviously a packaged project that was rushed  What Lari says about the tame sound is the biggest flaw. For whatever reason it lacks that punch that the Allom albums had..

Maybe he meant the other Allom produced albums?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 am

007 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

This. I do enjoy it quite a bit, but it was obviously a packaged project that was rushed  What Lari says about the tame sound is the biggest flaw. For whatever reason it lacks that punch that the Allom albums had..

Good point. Turbo was also Allom produced and that "lacked punch"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 am

Quote :
The only Priest that I don't really care for or ever listen to is Turbo.

I listen to Turbo more often than I listen to Demolition. Of course, that's not saying much. sick

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 am

Turbo and Demolition fall under the "they're ok" category for me. Decent enough but not ones I normally pull out when I feel like listening to Priest.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 am

007 wrote:
Turbo and Demolition fall under the "they're ok" category for me. Decent enough but not ones I normally pull out when I feel like listening to Priest.

Turbo may fall under the "OK" category, but Demolition falls under the "steaming pile" category Very Happy

Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 pm

My first introduction to the mighty Judas Priest was POE.  I bought this album along with Def Leppard's High N Dry and Billy Squier's Don't Say No when I was a junior in high school with one of my very first pay checks.  The first couple of times I listened to POE I was not impressed.  But on the third spin it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I still really like this album.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Since I've been reading this thread I decided to give this cd a spin today. I like the songs up to Solar Angels but after SA the album takes a nose dive to me. It's still a good release though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Point of entry and turbo are my favorite priest albums... One of my favorite priest songs is on Point Of Entry..

Also loved Solar Angels...

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
007 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

Good point. Turbo was also Allom produced and that "lacked punch"

Yeah the other Allom albums; I should have clarified that Smile. True of Turbo as well.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 pm

For Me, Point of Entry from the first song through "Solar Angels" is A++ "Heading Out To The Highway" is one of my favorite Priest songs (maybe my favorite). I would play the first three songs a lot because I had the VHS Fuel For Life and it had the videos for "...Highway," "Don't Go," and "Hot Rockin'." "Desert Plains" is classic, "Turning In Circles" is catchy as Hell, and "Solar Angels" is the one saving grace on side 2. Then it goes down hill. "You Say Yes" Ugh! One of my all-time least favorite Priest songs.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

"Troubleshooter" and "On the Run" are pretty good...
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Perhaps you'll all feel differently about this one now...

Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 9:31 pm

candlemass wrote:
Perhaps you'll all feel differently about this one now...

Hmmm...maybe I've been all wrong about that song.

Funny, I used to dislike "(Take These) Chains" back in the day. Now I really dig it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 am

JBall_Z wrote:
My first introduction to the mighty Judas Priest was POE.  I bought this album along with Def Leppard's High N Dry and Billy Squier's Don't Say No when I was a junior in high school with one of my very first pay checks.  The first couple of times I listened to POE I was not impressed.  But on the third spin it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I still really like this album.

Nice trio of albums to pick up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JP - Point of Entry
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next