Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath Recommendations

Go down 
+10
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
metalinmyveins
candlemass
Boris2008
mc666
Required Fields
Addy
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Black Sabbath Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Ive been scoping alot of stuff from both Ozzy and Dio when they were in Black Sabbath I like what im hearing I have Paranoid on CD and of course am familiar with alot of the popular stuff.

Im looking to increase my Sabbath collection, I have Paranoid.... what would you recommend I start with?

My cousin is a big fan and says Mob Rules is killer. Im inching towards Heaven and Hell

I figure Id hit the community up for some suggestions
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 7:53 pm

For the Ozzy-era, Master of Reality is easily my favorite.

Heaven and Hell is my favorite of the Dio-era.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 7:57 pm

The debut or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Heaven and Hell for the Dio era.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm

The first seven Ozzy albums, Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.

But for starters I would also go for Master of Reality and Heaven & Hell.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:06 pm

The first six w/Ozzy are great, though I like the last two, they're not on par w/the others. As for the Dio era, I start w/"Live Evil", or perhaps even the "Heaven and Hell" live one, get a little taste of it all...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:08 pm

You're going to get pulled in every direction regarding Sabbath, but I think the "smartest" album they ever made was "Vol 4". It seems to always get talked about last, when mentioning everything prior to "Technical Ecstasy", but its excellence is unrivaled.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:11 pm

6 in one, half dozen of the other, can't go wrong w/any of the first 6!  headbanger 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:17 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
You're going to get pulled in every direction regarding Sabbath, but I think the "smartest" album they ever made was "Vol 4". It seems to always get talked about last, when mentioning everything prior to "Technical Ecstasy", but its excellence is unrivaled.

That's the problem with this whole thing, it's like being asked to choose a favorite child!! And there is always the fact that people never agree on this kind of stuff. I think that Technical Ecstasy is superb, I also think that Live Evil would be the worst possible place to start.

I think you should just go through them on Spotify till you realise that they are all pretty much essential and buy the mega box set  lol! 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:36 pm

The good news with the first six albums is that they're cheap. I've never purchased one for more than five bucks. If that's the going price on Amazon, I say get them all in a bundle if you can.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Master of Reality
Heaven and Hell

Start with those two, then get the rest of Ozzy's first 6, Mob Rules, 13, and Dehumanizer. Then check out the rest.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Heaven & Hell and either Vol 4 or Masters Of Reality next..... All the Ozzy era and Dio era studio albums are essential......
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:25 pm

The first 4, Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage from the Ozzy era. Heaven And Hell from the Dio era.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:53 pm

All the Ozzy era records are very interesting in their own individual ways, the closest thing they had to something that was really, really put together and focused was probably 'Paranoid' or 'Master of Reality'. My preference is 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath', the two I mentioned, and then the debut. You will enjoy 'Master of Reality' or 'Volume 4', if I had to guess. All of those records are fascinating little brews made up of classic and brilliant tracks, intriguing experimental stuff, and then stuff which very audibly confirms just how much drugs the band was doing at the time.

Out of the Dio ones, I prefer 'Heaven and Hell' over all.

Don't sell the Tony Martin years short; the 'Headless Cross' record even has a guest Brian May solo, which rules.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Definitely don't pass over the debut album, one of the most important rock albums in history. Start with the first 6 and Heaven And Hell and then go from there.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 am

thejokeriv wrote:
All the Ozzy era and Dio era studio albums are essential......

Yup, I'd say just get them all. There aren't that many and you should be able to find them all relatively easy and cheap on Ebay or Amazon.

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:33 pm

The first 9 and the last. Also, the H&H releases. All the rest are worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Recommendations   Black Sabbath Recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath Recommendations
Page 1 of 1