Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best examples of using the EP format well.

Go down 
+17
CRIMSONMASK
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
akeldama
thejokeriv
DakotaRogers
Leatherface
brokentulsa
choosemetal
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
Ravenscraig
jstate
ZombieHavoc
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Best examples of using the EP format well. Empty
PostSubject: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:44 am

I know some people love and some people loathe the EP format. I like it, particularly when it is well utilized. Just putting out your 4 or 5 new songs as an EP doesn't do it for me. But I love when bands use the EP as a way to do something a little differently than what might be on their records, or to put out live tracks and other rarities or whatever. The band I can think of that best uses the format is Anthrax.

I don't know much beyond their Belladonna stuff, but their first 3 EPs do what I think an EP should.

Armed and Dangerous, for starters, introduced us to Belladonna. It had a cover song, some live tracks and an exclusive track. Good to go there.

I'm the Man, while it had too many versions of the title track, it obviously was a place to do something like "I'm the Man" without throwing it in the middle of their LP. And then, you know, live songs and a cover tune.

Penikufesin- It's got a tune from their recent album at the time, and a bunch of cover jams, even a little French. Just fun stuff.

Any other bands you feel use the shortened, non-LP format well?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 am

Sacred Reich's Surf Nicaragua would be the other one besides Anthrax's that comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 am

jstate wrote:
Sacred Reich's Surf Nicaragua would be the other one besides Anthrax's that comes to mind.

Yes, that one too, perfect use of the format.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:55 am

Kreator - Out of the Dark... Into the Light
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:37 am

Slayer - Haunting the Chapel
Sodom - Expurse of Sodomy

I think that both of these were landmark releases and ushered in what became trademark sounds.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 am

The Chasm - Reaching The Veil of Death, it's got everything. Two awesome originals, a killer remake of an older song, a cool cover of another band (Bulldozer), and even a little intro and outro.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:49 am

Best examples of using the EP format well. 4719

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am

Anthrax - Armed & Dangerous EP
Savatage - The Dungeons Are Calling
Metallica - Creeping Death
Slayer - Haunting The Chapel
Celtic Frost - Emperor's Return
Riot - Riot Live (1983)
Metallica - $5.98 EP
Nuclear Assault - The Plague
Possessed - The Eyes of Horror
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm

I think Destruction -- Sentence of Death is worth mentioning.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:13 am

That Ratt e.p. was a pretty strong effort in introducing the band. I have no problem with the idea it is the best stuff they ever did.

Witchkiller - Day Of The Saxon is another that I think is a great example/

To me a killer E.P. should either be an introduction for a band or an attempt to tide the fans over until a full release come out down the line. It should also include primarily exclusive tracks found only on the EP. A big pet peeve of mine is someone releasing an e.p. then later having all the songs on that also end up on the next album.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 am

A big pet peeve of mine is someone releasing an e.p. then later having all the songs on that also end up on the next album. wrote:

Zackly.

Anthrax - Attach of the Killer Bees. Very clever title too. It's all B-side tracks, and some of em are killer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:33 am

Ravenscraig wrote:

Zackly.

Anthrax - Attach of the Killer Bees. Very clever title too. It's all B-side tracks, and some of em are killer.

In the spirit of this and the killer introduction thing, I'm going for

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Killer debut, and well, them's some really morbid tales!  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Ravenscraig wrote:

Zackly.

In the spirit of this and the killer introduction thing, I'm going for

UGH!! HEYY!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

One caveat. When Morbid Tales was first released in Europe it was a 6-track EP. When it was picked up for the US market 2 additional tracks were added (Dethroned Emperor and Morbid Tales) and it was released as an LP. Interesting that the EP version didn't contain the title track.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 2:17 pm

queensryche first ep
Great White..on your knees
I agree with Riot Live and Ratts ep also..
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 pm

GNR-Lies.  Showed a different side of the band and was the last release of theirs I wanted to buy.  Didn't really care for anything they released after that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

HEYYYYYY!! :warrior
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Best examples of using the EP format well. Fce5d7472166cbdde5d89fddda8000c7_full

Here's a dandy: "Escape from Pain" by Intruder.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Lots of EP's I would have mentioned..... I'm surprised no one has mentioned Maiden Japan yet!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Motley Crue-Quaternary; it features a solo song from each member and a few other goodies.
Megadeth-Cryptic Sounds: No Voices In Your Head; features instrumental versions of 5 songs from 'Cryptic Writings'.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Lots of EP's I would have mentioned..... I'm surprised no one has mentioned Maiden Japan yet!

Your right!! Great E.P
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Entombed released 2 really good EP's which are Crawl and Stranger Aeons. Most of the songs ended up being rerecorded for their 2nd album, but it was very cool!

Witchery - Witchburner is a GREAT ep that kicks ass!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Maiden Japan yet!

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for that, especially since it's one of my all-time favorites.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:56 am

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Maiden Japan yet!

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for that, especially since it's one of my all-time favorites.  

Quite possibly my favorite Maiden record full stop,so yeah a bit of a miss.  Embarassed 

Also Motorhead/Girlschool St Valentines Day Massacre - Great collaboration and the two covers of each others songs was a neat idea
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am

akeldama wrote:

Megadeth-Cryptic Sounds: No Voices In Your Head; features instrumental versions of 5 songs from 'Cryptic Writings'.

Are these the exact same versions that appear on Cryptic Writings with just the vocals removed or did they add more guitar work to replace the missing vocals?

PostSubject: Re: Best examples of using the EP format well.   Best examples of using the EP format well. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best examples of using the EP format well.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next