Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sam Black Church

Go down 
+2
mc666
Eyesore
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 4:43 am

Any fans?

There's been some activity in SBC camp lately, namely their reunion show at this year's Hometown Throwdown, which The Mighty Mighty Bosstones put on every year. There is also a documentary in the works, which just reached its Kickstarter goal the other day. Word is, some new music is in the works, too.

If you've never heard them, they were brilliant. Live, they were insane, particularly the singer, Jet. His stage presence was INTENSE! SBC shows rank as some of the craziest I've ever been to. This photo should be in some sort of music Hall of Fame:

Sam Black Church Image-341009-full

Anyway, they were unique. They played a weird mix of thrash, hardcore, and maybe a little of the so-called "groove metal." Their music, the sound of their albums, the way Jet sang, all wholly unique. Great lyrics, too. Man, I really hope they put out some new stuff. Check them out:

And if you dig that, when they broke up many years ago, Jet and his brother, who is also the guitarist in SBC, formed a band called Jetfuel. They released one album, and it kicks ass!

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Loved this band, particularly their second album. I always thought they were criminally underrated.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
Loved this band, particularly their second album. I always thought they were criminally underrated.

Outside of New England, absolutely. Shame they never got more recognition.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Just so you don't feel this thread was totally ignored, I did give the posted clips a listen. Just not my cup o' tea.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Just so you don't feel this thread was totally ignored, I did give the posted clips a listen.  Just not my cup o' tea.

Thanks for the pity reply.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 am

I saw them open for Clutch at a theater show. Live they were the perfect combo of fury and performance. And if I didn't love Clutch so much would say they blew them away that night. Jet had the amazing ability to climb things. The show I saw he money-barred the low hanging rafters.

I also think their records were on par with their live shows. They lived up to those live shows on record IMO.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

I liked that first song you posted. Completely agree with your description of a thrash, hardcore, groove mix.

I'll check out the other videos a bit later. My bandwidth has been throttled, so it's damn near impossible to watch anything over the Internet right now.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:49 pm

jstate wrote:
I saw them open for Clutch at a theater show.  Live they were the perfect combo of fury and performance.  And if I didn't love Clutch so much would say they blew them away that night.  Jet had the amazing ability to climb things.  The show I saw he money-barred the low hanging rafters.

I also think their records were on par with their live shows.  They lived up to those live shows on record IMO.

Yeah, Jet was nuts on stage. Swinging from the rafters, climbing the walls, stage diving off the craziest shit. And stuff like this:

Sam Black Church Hqdefault

I've never been to a more insane show than a SBC show.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:51 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I liked that first song you posted. Completely agree with your description of a thrash, hardcore, groove mix.

I'll check out the other videos a bit later.  My bandwidth has been throttled, so it's damn near impossible to watch anything over the Internet right now.

If you can get used to Jet's vocals, which I'll admit are probably tough for some people to handle, a lot of you would probably love these guys.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 am

I like it, even the dude's vocals are awesome. I like this kind of no hold barred thrashy kick a puppy shit.

I really want to know what he's doing in that first photo you posted. Is he just falling from a great height lol?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:13 am

corplhicks wrote:
I like it, even the dude's vocals are awesome. I like this kind of no hold barred thrashy kick a puppy shit.

I really want to know what he's doing in that first photo you posted. Is he just falling from a great height lol?

No, he climbed the speaker stack and jumped into the crowd. Intentionally.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 2:46 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

No, he climbed the speaker stack and jumped into the crowd. Intentionally.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 6:55 am

Quote :
Yeah, Jet was nuts on stage. Swinging from the rafters, climbing the walls, stage diving off the craziest shit

And yet it didn't take away from the performance at all. It wasn't like he was doing the crazy stuff to distract away from the music. I've always thought his vocals were perfect for this style.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm

jstate wrote:
Quote :
Yeah, Jet was nuts on stage. Swinging from the rafters, climbing the walls, stage diving off the craziest shit

And yet it didn't take away from the performance at all.  It wasn't like he was doing the crazy stuff to distract away from the music.  I've always thought his vocals were perfect for this style.

Yeah, it was all part of the show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sam Black Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sam Black Church   Sam Black Church Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sam Black Church
Page 1 of 1