Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum

Go down 
+4
sovdat
T-Roy
Rex
ultmetal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Empty
PostSubject: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:01 pm

I thought some of you might be interested in reading this.
ult

For those readers unfamiliar with Ultimatum, can you give us a quick history lesson?

SCOTT:
Ultimatum are a heavy metal band that was formed in 1992 by Robert Gutierrez,guitars; Steve Trujillo, guitars; Greg Dingess, bass and John Carroll, drums. I joined soon after Ultimatum were formed. I think the band played two or three local shows with Robert singing before I joined. The line-up has changed over the years but Robert and I remain. Today we have Rob Whitlock (bass), who has been with Ultimatum since 2002 and Alan Tuma (drums) who joined the band this year.

It's been a long time since we've had a new Ultimatum full length album. Tell me about the new CD, Into the Pit. and what's been going on with the band since "Mechanics of Perilous Times".

SCOTT:
Yes, it has been a very long time. We never broke up in the time since Mechanics or anything. We continued to do shows and write new material. However, with no label backing and a bunch of personal issues going on with band members outside the band, it delayed us recording anything new. We did record a demo track called "Heart of Metal" in 2003 that we used on a compilation CD. We then recorded a four song demo in late 2005. We shopped this around to labels to see what sort of bites we might get. We had some offers, but nothing we felt would do much to get the music out any more than we could do ourselves. Finally in '06 we just decided to release an EP on our own using the demo tracks that we recorded. Roxx Productions in California offered to help us out with the EP and a limited, numbered edition run of "til the End!" was released. It is sold out. Even with that release, we were still sending out the demo to labels. We sent the demo off to my friend Rob at Bombworks Records, who in turn hooked us up with Matt at Retoactive. We decided that Retroactive would be able to help us gain some exposure and get the CD out better than we could ourselves, so we signed with them. They also remastered and re-released "Symphonic Extremities" and "Mechanics of Perilous Times". Frankly, I would have liked them to have re-released "Puppet of Destruction" as that is the album that needs remastering the most.

As for the new CD, I am very proud of it. I like it a lot and cannot stop listening to it myself. Robert really stepped things up on this one. His guitar playing is outstanding. His rhythm work is tight and his solos are tasty. I can't imagine any Ultimatum fan being disappointed with this one. However, I really hope that the stepped up production will draw in some new fans as well. The CD has eleven songs. We had actually written one or two more that didn't make the album. I am super psyched about the new version of "Blink". I love this song. We've been playing it live practically since we wrote it back in 1995. The version on "Symphonic" was nothing more than a demo and really didn't capture the energy and aggression of that song. The new version annihilates! Augustine Ortiz played the guitar solo on the song and it's just jaw dropping awesome. We made some minor changes to the song, but overall, stuck to the original composition. The four songs off the EP also made the album. All four were re-recorded. "Blind Faith" went under the blade slightly. I like the newer version better. The solo section is much better in my opinion. "One For All" and "Deathwish" were completely re-recorded with our new drummer Alan Tuma. Sean had recorded on the EP cuts. However, the songs aren't really all that different. On the EP version of "One For All", Steve Trujillo and Robert traded off leads. On the Into the Pit version, Augustine recorded new and different guitar solos over Steve's, whereas Robert's leads are nearly identical. Other than some differences between Sean and Alan in style, "Deathwish" wasn't really messed with. We even kept Steve Trujillo's guitar solo in the later half of the song as we really liked it and felt it fit the song well. "Heart of Metal" is also nearly identical to the EP version, with a bit more bite in the guitars and better sounding drums. We also recorded our version of Iron Maiden's "Wrathchild". While we stuck close to the original composition, we changed things slightly to make the song our own. You can really hear the difference as soon as the bass and drums start at the beginning of the song. I like the way it came out, especially the scream in the middle. It's a layered scream. I did one lower register scream then in the middle went for the helium high shriek. It came out very cool, and very different from what Paul DiAnno did. Probably my favorite songs on the album are "Exonerate" which is a full out thrash song, "Blood Covenant" and album closer "Game Over". "Game Over" is the first song since "Puppet of Destruction" that features Robert doing some lyric writing. He wrote the basis of the song then I went in and changed things around and came up with the vocal melodies and added the chorus. It's a great song to close the album with.

Tell me about your vocal approach on this album, as opposed to the past albums.

SCOTT:
I'm really happy with the vocals on this album. They are raw, throaty and thrashy. Each song has it's own unique sound and style. Being that the album was recorded over a long period of time, I think it gave me a chance to really work out some of the vocals and melodies. Whereas on "Heart of Metal" the vocals are a bit more melodic, on a song like "Exonerate", the vocals are very rough and thrashy. On that particular song I was inspired by Sadus. I also used some deeper, almost death metal-like growls here and there for emphasis on some songs. Just about all the vocals, screams, growls, grunts and groans are done by me without the use of any effects, other than the minor reverb or delay here and there. On the songs "Heart of Metal" and "Blind Faith", however, the entire band, as well as my brother, came in to do the gang vocals.

Why did you decide to record another cover song?

SCOTT:
I don't know that it was a conscious decision to have another cover song on this album. I enjoy doing covers. We had been doing "Wrathchild" live just for fun. We play a lot of clubs and a lot of time the people in the clubs may not even know who we are yet. Having a metal song like "Wrathchild" in the set gives them something they know and can get into. When we decided to record the full length album, I really wanted to record the song, so we did.

We don't do a lot of covers songs. Over the years we've been together we have only recorded three cover songs. "Wrathchild", "Sins of Omission" by Testament and "Burn" by Vengeance Rising. I wouldn't actually mind recording more. I've actually had an idea that I haven't even run by the band yet about recording an EP of cover songs in the future. We've thrown around the idea of covering "Creeping Death" by Metallica, "Heavy Metal Machine" by Riot and some others. Robert and Rob goof around with songs all the time at practice as well. Personally, I'd love to cover an old Mortification song as well. I guess some people frown on cover albums but I think they are fun.

There is also an instrumental again on this album, correct?

SCOTT:
That is correct. Rob Whitlock, our bassist since 2002, wrote the basic structure of the song. Him, Alan and Robert went into the studio and created the rest. I didn't get to hear the final song until we were mixing myself. It came out great! It has this dark, moody feel. Rob got to play his 8-string bass on the song, which made him happy. LOL! We also added some keyboards to give the song more atmosphere. It's the first Ultimatum song ever to feature keyboards, unless you count the intro to "Fatal Delay" on our very first demo. Again, Robert outdid himself with the guitar work on this song.

Rob played and 8-sting bass? What instruments were used on the album.

SCOTT:
Wow, I am the wrong person to ask about this. Unlike past recordings where I was in the studio for nearly everything, this time our engineer Ysidro Garcia took charge and I just went in to do scratch tracks and final vocals. I wasn't even there for most of the recording of the drums, guitars and bass. I know Rob used his black Jackson Kelly bass for the lion's share of his recording. He also used his Schecter Stilletto for some songs. I know on "Wrathchild" he used his '81 Rickenbacker because he wanted a real meaty, gritty sound. I think on the instrumental he used his Jackson Kelly and his Dean Rhapsody 8 String.

Robert used his black Agile AL2000 for most of the rhythms and his Ibanez RG450 custom for most of the lead work. Both his guitars are loaded with EMG pickups. Surprisingly he left his Jackson's at home this round. (I had to call Robert to get this answer.)

The drums are a bit odd since we have two different drummers and used a variety of techniques for each song. On the songs that Alan recorded he used his four piece Tama kit. The songs that Sean recorded he used his custom Pork Pie kit. All the cymbal work is live, but some of the drums are triggered, while others are natural. We tried to use a natural snare sound on every song, but we also triggered the snare in case we decided after we didn't like the natural sound. On "Mechanics" we recorded with Sean's natural snare and while we recording I hated it. The engineer kept reassuring me, "we'll fix it in the mix". When we were at the mixing stage, I still hated it. He kept assuring me, "we'll fix it". It never happened. He then assured me he would fix it in the mastering. It never happened. So, to avoid that problem we went with both natural and triggered snares. On the Til the End demo we used the triggered snare which I thought sounded a bit too digital and unnatural, especially on some of the faster parts where the snare is very dominant. This time around I liked the natural sound of both Alan's and Sean's drums so we ended up using those on most tracks, although we did end up using the triggered snare on a few songs as it just sounded better. It was nice to be able to have that choice.

Sounds like the recording process was an exercise in experimentation this go around.

SCOTT:
Not really. Ysidro knew exactly what to do to get the sound he thought would work best. We did do some experimenting, but other than the drums, the recording was very easy; much easier than any past album. Much of that is to due with Sight 16 Studios. Sid is great to work with and knows how to record metal. That's always been part of the problem in the past. Metal is not easy to mix. Everything is low end, distorted and raw. It's hard to get a good recording if you don't know and understand the music.

I did do some experimenting with the vocals, such as in the scream I mentioned earlier in "Wrathchild". My first attempt at the scream was more like what DiAnno did and quite frankly it sounded like crap. Sid said it sounded to girly and asked what else I had, so I did that low, gutter growl which sounded great. I then suggested adding in the higher scream and it sounded great together.

One thing we did do different on this recording and the EP, than on the first three albums was we used one guitarist for all the rhythms. This was a decision Robert and I came to before Steve had left the band. Reading recording magazines over the years for bands with two guitarists, it's usually one guitarist that records all the rhythms. Bands like Megadeth, Metallica, etc. have two guitarists, but only one recorded rhythms, even thought both play rhythm live. We had always had Robert and Steve record rhythm and would pan the two tracks 80/20 into the mix. However, having Robert record all the guitars made for a much tighter sound. I really liked the way the guitars came out on the EP. They are even better on "Into the Pit".

Tell me about the artwork. It's probably your best yet, although I also like "Puppet of Destruction" as well.

SCOTT:
Thanks. The artwork was done by Rexorcist and was originally going to be used on our EP in 2006. However, once we decided to record a full length, we decided to keep this artwork for the full length and create new artwork for the EP. I had recently designed shirts with the Ultimatum crown of thorns logo made of lightning. We used that as the cover for the EP instead.

I went to Rex and told him about the new CD. Rex is a friend of mine and an Ultimatum fan. He actually had this pencil drawing of the demon creature that is similar to the creature on the cover. He showed me and I thought it was great. I told him the name of the album and said it would be cool to have the demon chained down into the firey pit and he came up with the cover almost as you see it. He made some minor changes, like adding more chains, and came up with the cover as you see it now. I think it's one of his best covers. You can see his work as www.rexorcist.com.

This is actually the only Ultimatum release that doesn't feature my artwork. Thanks for the compliment on "Puppet". I designed that cover. I did, however, do the booklet layout for the new CD.

Will Into the Pit be widely available? Where can people pick it up?

SCOTT:
We don't have a European deal yet, so unfortunately it's only going to be available through U.S. distributors and CD importers for now. The usual on-line places such as Amazon.com, CDBaby.com, TheEndRecords.com, Itunes, etc. will have it available. Our distributor will also be selling directly on Ebay. Also, places like GirderMusic.com, RadRockers, etc. You can also pick any of our CDs up directly through the band. We accept paypal at ultimatums777@hotmail.com

While recording Into the Pit Ultimatum had some personnel changes, as you alluded to earlier. Can you tell us who is in the band now?

SCOTT:
Yes, after recording the four song demo one of the original members of Ultimatum, Steve Trujillo quit for family reasons. He is really missed. Augustine Ortiz came in shortly after and just filled Steve's shoes perfectly. The guy was just a natural and was fantastic on stage. His stage presence is awesome! Unfortunately we knew up front that he was only going to be with us for about a year as he was getting married and having to move to another state. So, while he was with us, we had him record some solos on the album. He has a very different style of soloing than both Steve and Robert. He has a lot of jazz influence, which I think you can really hear in his playing on the album. I am not a guitarist, but I have been told that he uses some jazz scales on his solos in "One For All". Frankly that means nothing to me. LOL! I just know they sound great. Toward the end of the recording, longtime drummer Sean Griego left the band as well. He is still good friends with us. He just had a lot of family and job obligations that kept him from giving the band his all and decided to move on. Alan Tuma, formerly of The Moshketeers took his spot and finished up the recording. Alan can be heard on four of the album's eleven songs. Being a big Moshketeers fan myself, it was cool to get Alan in the band. In the band now are myself on vocals; Robert Gutierrez, guitars; Rob Whitlock, bass and Alan Tuma, drums. We also have Justin Frear from Phoeniz, AZ filling in on guitar on some shows. However, since he obviously lives too far away to practice with us regularly he isn't a full Ultimatum member.

Any chance of Justin moving to Albuquerque?

SCOTT:
I don't think so, but you would really have to ask him. That's a lot to ask of someone with a family, mortgage, and responsibilities. Ultimatum doesn't pay any of our bills, so that would be a big decision for him and his family. However, you never know, Rob moved to New Mexico from California to play bass in Ultimatum and has become one of my closest friends.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:01 pm

PART 2

Aside from Ultimatum, I also wanted to mention how much I like you
No Life Til Metal website. I am in awe of your collection. I also know
many other people who use your site as a guide when buying CDs.

SCOTT:
Thanks. It's a lot of work, but I enjoy doing it.

When was nolifetilmetal.com born?

SCOTT:
It
was born November 15, 2000. Of course it took me many, many months
before to create the site. Within a year I had been kicked off several
free servers for excessive traffic and bandwidth usage. I now average
over 100,000 page hits a day.

I have contact with
metal fans all over Europe and America and even as far out Singapore. I
have actually discussed the merits of albums we like based on your
reviews. You have a global audience, did you ever expect your site to
be this popular?

SCOTT:
No. I never expected my site to
be as popular as it has become. It's just my personal CD collection and
my thoughts on those CDs. I am glad people enjoy it though.

I
think what people like about it is that your reviews are written from a
fan perspective and you obviously have been a fan for many years. I am
not a Christian myself, but I respect the fact that you write from a
Christian perspective, which is unusual for a metal site. Most
Christians seem to despise heavy metal and everything to do with it.
Your reviews are honest, even if I don't always see eye to eye with
your opinion. Obviously your passion for music is balanced by a deep
spiritual foundation- what does it actually mean to live a Christian
life to you?

SCOTT:
Thanks. I am a Christian, which means
I trust in Jesus Christ for my salvation. To me it's a relationship
with God. He communicates to me through his Word, which gives me
guidelines to live by. I communicate to him through prayer. It's not a
super religious thing for me. I am not interested in pointing fingers
and telling others how to live. I have no problem sharing my faith with
others and letting them know how much my life has changed since
becoming a Christian. However, as you saw from my site, I enjoy life
and love music whether it's Christian or not. I can respect others
opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

On your
sites biographical segment you mention a personal crisis at one point
in your life where you shunned metal completely and sold your
collection. Why did this happen?

SCOTT:
I became overly
religious. I allowed the church I was attending to rule my life. At
times I regret that time in my life. At the same time I see it as a
time that God was working in my life, so I don't regret it that deeply.
I won't allow that to happen again. What I didn't realize then was that
holiness and righteousness is something that comes through Christ
alone. The Bible is very clear about this. It's not what we listen to,
or read, or watch that makes us holy, it's faith in Christ alone. The
Bible says that our righteousness and good works are as filthy rags to
God. He sees me through the sacrifice of Christ. It's that work, the
work of Christ on the cross that makes me righteous before Him, not my
music. Rather, now I see that music is a gift God has given me and it's
my passion.

Thanks for the interview. Anything you would like to share in closing?

SCOTT:
Check
out "Into the Pit" when it is released in October. You can hear sound
sample on our MySpace site, www.myspace.com/ultimatummetal. Thanks for
the interview.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for the plug!

What's this from?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:17 pm

I don't know. It's for some European on-line magazine, I think. It's only PART of the interview. LOL! It was freakin' long. They asked all sorts of questions about the current state of metal, how I got into metal, why I like Aerosmith so much. They even asked how I met my wife. :shock:

Anyhow, since I doubt most people here will ever see it and since I spent hours typing back and forth with this guy, I thought I'd post it here too. (At least the parts I thought anyone would give a rip about.)

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:26 pm

VERY COOL!!! LMAO @ "..your wife"....SHEESH!!!!! Shocked NONE OF YOUR DARN BEEZWAX PAL!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:42 pm

T-Roy wrote:
VERY COOL!!! LMAO @ "..your wife"....SHEESH!!!!! Shocked NONE OF YOUR DARN BEEZWAX PAL!!!!!

Ahhh, I told them. We met in high school. We've been together since 1984 and were married in 1989.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Nice interview. I can't wait to hear the new version of "Deathwish." I think that's my favorite Ultimatum song so far.

Anyway, just curious, how big was your collection when you sold it off, or got rid of it?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 3:57 pm

I had thousands of records at the time. When I moved from NJ to NM, I had a Toyota extended bed pickup with a cap that we filled with my records in boxes. We didn't have room to move anything else. LOL! When I sold most of them in 1991, save for a handful of albums, I used the money for a down deposit on our house.

I had a Kiss record called Face Lift. It was a 3 record, red vinyl bootleg in a box. I sold it for $50 at the time, which was $15 more than I paid for it new. The record store I sold it to, resold it for $250. OUCH! Too bad Ebay wasn't around like it is today back then. I'd have made a killing.

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Wow! How many have you re-bought? Haha.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 5:29 pm

OH SNAP!
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm

How much did you get for (autographed if I remember well Smile ) Heathen's Rage EP?
Back to top Go down
fishingd
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
fishingd

Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Sweet!!! Nice nterview Scott.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 pm

sovdat wrote:
How much did you get for (autographed if I remember well Smile ) Heathen's Rage EP?

Not much. At the time it was "just and EP" by an unknown band. It also had an 8x10 promo photo. That is one of the few albums that is not replacable, although I do have the bootleg CD version, which is cool. It's not really the value as much as it was a piece of my youth.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 12:36 am

i will be purchasing the new album. i look forward to hearing your vocal style this time. the way that you describe it sounds very good to me. i like the raw thrashy vox much better than the David Wayne style which the vox on Puppets reminded me of.

i really look forward to hearing your "death metal-like growls". bring that Testament sh*t! 🤘

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 8:17 am

mc666 wrote:
i will be purchasing the new album. i look forward to hearing your vocal style this time. the way that you describe it sounds very good to me. i like the raw thrashy vox much better than the David Wayne style which the vox on Puppets reminded me of.

i really look forward to hearing your "death metal-like growls". bring that Testament sh*t! 🤘

Cool. Hope you dig it. The vocals are definetly much more aggressive than Puppet of Destruction or Symphonic.
Back to top Go down
ultrametal
Metal student
Metal student
ultrametal

Number of posts : 192

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Ive seen his collection it enormous! Takes up most of his bedroom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnlounge.com/desertriomedia
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:33 am

Good interview! I'm stoked for the new album.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 9:05 am

ultrametal wrote:
Ive seen his collection it enormous! Takes up most of his bedroom.
wait, what are we talking about again?! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 am

T-Roy wrote:
ultrametal wrote:
Ive seen his collection its enormous! Takes up most of his bedroom.
wait, what are we talking about again?! Laughing very hard

Shhhh...we don't talk about those sorts of things here. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum   PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PART of a long interview with Scott Waters of Ultimatum
Page 1 of 1