Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's in a name?

Go down 
+21
tohostudios
BearOnUnicycle
Chairman_Smith
jstate
Troublezone
Leatherface
bass63
manny
Fat Freddy
akeldama
ultmetal
jettafiend
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Boris2008
Citanul
kmorg
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 5:07 am

When a band changes their sound too much, fans more often than not says that they should have changed their name. This is no longer the same band, etc. What I wanna know is; are there examples of bands that have done this successfully? And don't come dragging with a band name used in the rehearsal rooms before they hit it big with another name. I'm talking about somewhat established bands with a following that changed styles and/or name and kept or increased their fanbase.

I can only come up with 1 example: LightForce to Mortification.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 am

I can think of two, but they're name changes rather than style changes.

Resurrection Band changed to Rez Band, then to Rez and I think they went back to Resurrection Band.
Seether released one album as Saron Gas, which was only released in South Africa, but changed their name for their first international release.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 5:57 am

I can't think of many successful bands that have changed their name full stop. It could be argued that Legacy were a pretty established band when they changed their name to Testament but they didn't alter their style at all. Ludichrist/Scatterbrain? Maybe but neither band were big. Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave, the addition of a high profile guy like Cornell probably puts them into 'supergroup' territory.

Probably the best know was The Thamesmen/Spinal Tap but that's not real!! Laughing very hard

edit, not metal but the classic one has to be Joy Division/New Order.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 am

Harem Scarem changed their sound so much that for 3 albums they went by the name Rubber in Canada. It was the same band in terms of personnel, but the sound moved away from Melodic Rock and into Power Pop. I think they did OK, but not gangbusters. Some of the songs from the Rubber era went on to be recorded by other Canadian pop artists and made them some coin as writers/producers.

Then they went back to being Harem Scarem.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 am

Laaz Rockit changed their name to Gack for their Japan only release (at least I think it was japan only) before breaking up . There was a slight stylistic change so I'm not really sure what that was all about (Problems with their label ? something like that I think).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 am

Wrathchild AMerica to Souls At Zero comes to mind

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 am

Savatage to Trans-Siberian Orchestra?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 am

Stone Temple Pilots kinda tried it twice with mixed results. The first time Scott Weiland wigged out on them, they hired a new singer and recorded an album as Talk Show. Good album, but I don't think it went anywhere even though it still pretty much sounded like STP.

They tried it again with the singer from Filter as Army of Anyone. And again, not a bad album but didn't seem to make a dent in the public conscience.

Learning from past mistakes, they are releasing this new ep as "Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Benninginton".

Another one that comes to mind is the guys from Creed kicking Scott Stapp to the curb and becoming Alter Bridge with a new singer. That seems to be working out pretty well for them.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 am

Black Sabbath did ok as Heaven & Hell Dio 

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 am

I know Geffen back in the day was trying to convince Death Angel to become D.A, and that name is still used today in certain circles.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Daniel Amos to D.A. on a couple of albums

Altar Boys to Altar Billies when they switched over to a rockabilly sound

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 pm

It wasn't successful in that fans still hated it, but Lizzy Borden changed their name to Starwood for one album so that they could do something different musically. I thought it was really good and was glad they didn't release it under the Lizzy Borden name.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:11 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
*lalaalalalal* *it's not real* *lalalala*

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
It wasn't successful in that fans still hated it, but Lizzy Borden changed their name to Starwood for one album so that they could do something different musically. I thought it was really good and was glad they didn't release it under the Lizzy Borden name.
I like that album too. I knew it was Lizzy Borden, the person, but I didn't realize it was the same Lizzy Borden band members. I thought it was him with a bunch of other guys for a side project. Cool.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Burn The Priest became Lamb Of God (but still suck IMO).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:38 pm

kmorg wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Laughing very hard

The leftover scraps of Vixen briefly went by "VXN" and then "JanetShareRoxyGina" and finally "JSRG" if memory serves.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:52 pm

The Front became Bakers Pink, and neither name helped, straight to the cut out bin it went
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

"JanetShareRoxyGina"
"Janet Shares Roxy's 'Gina" was recently nominated for an AVN Award. True story.Wink

manny wrote:
The Front became Bakers Pink, and neither name helped, straight to the cut out bin it went
I have both of those albums and they're both equally boring. I'm pretty sure I saw Baker's Pink open up for Great White way back in the day too.

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 2:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Black Sabbath did ok as Heaven & Hell Dio 
Good choice
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Carcass to Blackstar
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 4:12 pm

The Dogz became Flotsam & Jetsam.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:36 am

Do you think Metallica will see greater success now that they've changed their name to Avenged Sevenfold? Wink 
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 am

Bitch became Betsy for one album before going back to Bitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 am

Bad 4 Good became Lucy's Milk.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 9:11 am

kmorg wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Even Jon Olivia admits as much.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's in a name?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next