Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Aerosmith compilation?

Go down 
+8
manny
Fat Freddy
MetallicSeminarian
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
mikeinfla
muckie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Best Aerosmith compilation? Empty
PostSubject: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 12:24 am

I collect compilations from all sorts of genres and always tend to aim for the best. I'm looking to buy an Aerosmith compilation but unsure which I should get.

Is the super-popular Greatest Hits with the red cover worth getting? I also remember downloading one that was several discs that covered a wider section of their discography but I can't remember which that was. Let me know. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 12:42 am

There are several. Some cover the Geffen Years, other Columbia. Depends on which era you like best. Personally I dig the Geffen Years.

Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 am

This is the one I have - O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits.  My copy is a bit annoying in that it's one of those CDs that's had something done to it so that it won't play on a computer, but I don't know if that's true of every copy.  It's the only Aerosmith album I have so I can't really comment on the tracklist but it does seem to give a good overview, covering both the Columbia and Geffen years.

Best Aerosmith compilation? Aerosm11

Disc 1

1. Mama Kin
  2. Dream On
  3. Same Old Song And Dance
  4. Seasons Of Wither
  5. Walk This Way
  6. Big Ten Inch Record
  7. Sweet Emotion
  8. Last Child
  9. Back In The Saddle
  10. Draw The Line
  11. Dude (Looks Like A Lady)
  12. Angel
  13. Rag Doll
  14. Janie's Got A Gun
  15. Love In An Elevator
  16. What It Takes

Disc 2

1. The Other Side
  2. Livin' On The Edge
  3. Cryin'
  4. Amazing
  5. Deuces Are Wild
  6. Crazy
  7. Falling In Love (Is Hard On Your knees)
  8. Pink (South Beach Mix)
  9. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
  10. Jaded
  11. Just Push Play (Radio Remix)
  12. Walk This Way (Run-DMC Version)
  13. Girls Of Summer
  14. Lay It Down
  15. Come Together
  16. Theme From Spider-Man
  17. Toys In The Attic
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 8:49 am

If you really are set on just a compilation, I would get 3 (and they are cheap, so it's okay).

The Aerosmith Greatest Hits (the red cover you mention) is a suitable collection of their 70s hits, but since you hear most of those songs daily on the radio, it's kind of boring. It's cheap, so grab that one.

At the same time, grab Aerosmith Gems. It's sort of a compantion to GH. It's tunes from the same era, but not radio hits. Good stuff on this one.

Finally, if inclined, you can grab The Big Ones. This focuses on their late 80s and early 90s hits. It's not essential, but they had some good songs at this time.

These are all like $7 on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 8:51 am

THIS is the best one....
Best Aerosmith compilation? Aerosmith+-+Greatest+Hits+-+LP+RECORD-412

And THIS acts as a "Part 2" to the above...
Best Aerosmith compilation? 51tt9jVq-oL

You don't need anything else, IMO

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 8:59 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
If you really are set on just a compilation, I would get 3 (and they are cheap, so it's okay).

The Aerosmith Greatest Hits (the red cover you mention) is a suitable collection of their 70s hits, but since you hear most of those songs daily on the radio, it's kind of boring. It's cheap, so grab that one.

At the same time, grab Aerosmith Gems. It's sort of a compantion to GH. It's tunes from the same era, but not radio hits. Good stuff on this one.

Finally, if inclined, you can grab The Big Ones. This focuses on their late 80s and early 90s hits. It's not essential, but they had some good songs at this time.

These are all like $7 on Amazon.

Agreed. The single best Aerosmith disc to get is Rocks. But if you just want compilations, these three are the ones to get.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
THIS is the best one....

^^ What Shawn sez.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
THIS is the best one....

I agree with this, 'Gems' has some deeper cuts, the only thing I don't like about the 'Greatest Hits' album is some of the tunes have been edited for some unknown reason
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 am

Yes, I would skip that red cover greatest hits album. The bass intro to 'Sweet Emotion' is completely edited out. And it skips over anything from 'Night in the Ruts', with the exception of a Shangri-La's cover of 'Remember Walkin in the Sand'. Lame. It only pulls songs from their first 5 albums and it's the radio hits you already know. According to Joe Perry, who was already gone from the band, this album was put out by Columbia Records and he had no idea it existed until a fan showed him a copy and asked Joe to sign it.

I always direct anyone new to Aerosmith to the Gems album. Great comp of their classic 70's era deep cuts. No real radio hits, but a good arguement for anyone that doesn't think Aerosmith were heavy in the 70's.

The only other one I own is Big Ones, which covers their latter Geffen years stuff pretty well, but it's not a frequent spinner for me. Since that one came out in '94, they've probably released 5 or more other comps, but I've nevered bothered with them. The one or 2 "new" songs they throw on there isn't enough to justify the purchase.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added some useless trivia)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:30 am

You can get Pandora's Box pretty cheap nowadaze. Covers ALOT of the era that matters

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:36 am

James B. wrote:
You can get Pandora's Box pretty cheap nowadaze.   Covers ALOT of the era that matters
Agreed. An excellent box set, but might be too much for a casual fan that's just looking for the hits. The deep cuts and alternate takes might be overkill.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:38 am

How can somebody only be a casual fan of old Aerosmith ? Laughing very hard 

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am

James B. wrote:
How can somebody only be a casual fan of old Aerosmith ? Laughing very hard 
Ask someone that thinks Alter Bridge is better than the Beatles, Led Zepplin and the Rolling Stones. Best Aerosmith compilation? 499945 

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Gems.  The red Greatest Hits also contains their cover of Come Together (the only reason I ever bought it), aside from that it's all over-played material.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Go with Gems. Great intro to the band.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm

I have the Essential Aerosmith 3.0 which covers all the radio hits, some live albums and includes the track w/Run D.M.C. as well as some deeper cuts. I like it but then I bought for my Aerosmith fix while I work on the full discography.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Aerosmith compilation?   Best Aerosmith compilation? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Aerosmith compilation?
Page 1 of 1