Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where Did This Come From?

Go down 
+13
manny
kmorg
80s Metal Lady
jettafiend
tohostudios
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
corplhicks
ultmetal
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
17 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Where Did This Come From? Empty
PostSubject: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:13 am

Has this ever happened to you? Going through your music collection and find a cd or album that you have absoutley no idea how you got it? Or that the album even existed?

Last night as I was assembling my music for the week, I felt like grabbing something from Enuff Z'Nuff (yea, I like them, p*ss off). I'm looking through their discography and I find a live disc from 1998. Not a bootleg or anything. A regular release. Not only do I not remember purchasing said album, I didn't even know a live recording of the band existed. Did I order it on-line? Find it used at FYE? Perhaps a flea market find? Dunno. I honestly don't know how this album came into my possession.

How 'bout you? Got any "mystery" albums in you collection that seems to have just appeared out of thin air?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:22 am

I saw a copy of Air - 10,000Hz Legend in a closing down sale, quickly snapped it up as I'd wanted it for ages, got home to find that I already had it, I really didn't remember buying it the first time round. I also did that with the first Distillers CD Embarassed Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 am

I have more of that issues with DVDs, but a lot of that is due to the fact that my wife also buys a lot and had a large collection of her own before we ever even combined ours.

For music, I don't think that has ever happened. But then, at any given time my collection was never bigger than 600 CDs, as the entire time since I've been buying CDs, I've always purged very regularly, anywhere from 10 to 50 CDs in a purge. So there was never just a massive collection to where everything wasn't in constant rotation and everything was always in site in the one CD rack.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:19 pm

My copy of Michael Monroe's Not Fakin It. Dont remember where or how i got it, all i know is that i own it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm

I can't remember a specific incident where that has happened, but I have accidentally purchased an album that I already owned thinking that I didn't.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 pm

I was doing an order on Amazon last week and trying to fill the holes in my AC/DC collection. Just found out I did two separate orders of Dirty Deeds from two different seller. Unfortunately they've already shipped. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I can't remember a specific incident where that has happened, but I have accidentally purchased an album that I already owned thinking that I didn't.
I always remember which albums i've purchased in the past, but there have been times when i've accidentally rented or purchased a film that I had previously seen.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I was doing an order on Amazon last week and trying to fill the holes in my AC/DC collection. Just found out I did two separate orders of Dirty Deeds from two different seller. Unfortunately they've already shipped. Oh well.
You SHOULD have two copies of that record! At least!! What if there was a nuclear war or something and one copy got damaged?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
You SHOULD have two copies of that record! At least!! What if there was a nuclear war or something and one copy got damaged?
If there was a nuclear war I'd take Eyesore's entire CD collection and mine and create a shield by piling them all on top of me, surviving the blast and roaming a desolate wasteland in search of nourishment and human companionship. 
\'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 pm

I've had this happen. Sometimes I'll scroll through my iPod and wonder where an album came from.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:17 pm

I can't say I've ever had that experience with CDs - though I have done the double-buy thing (damn you Sammy Hagar)

But I have had the "Where the hell did this come from?" experience with downloads. I've downloaded stuff, put them on a jump drive, then popped the drive in later and said "When did I download that?"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Did that recently as well. I was organizing my collection onto a shelf and found that I had 2 copies of Bride's Scarecrow Messiah and Whitecross' In the Kingdom and U2's All that you can't leave behind. I have no clue where the 2nd copies of the Whitecross or Bride albums came from but I think that I got the U2 and the good ol' Goodwill on half-price color tags, thinking, eh, why not. It's a good mellow album and $2 is a decent price.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 pm

One time, I was on Amazon and it recommended Saxon's Crusader. I listened to clips and thought about getting it, but didn't get around to it. That turned out to be a good thing because, months later, I was going through my used cassettes, and there it was. I didn't remember buying it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 am

I have tons of cd's I no longer remember where I acquired. The double buy this is also happening too often these days also Sad

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 5:49 am

I have yet to buy something I have already own, but there are some bands I like and wonder how in the hell did I get into this in the first place
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 am

Sacred Steel's Wargods Of Metal.  I can only assume it came in a ebay lot.  Luckily I discovered it just before I considered purchasing it when I was on a Sacred Steel kick.

Entombed's Sons Of Satan Praise The Lord.  It has what I'm guessing is a Goodwill price tag - although I would think I would remember getting an Entombed disc at Goodwill!

I'm not a live album guy at all so where the Metal Church Live and Reverend Live discs would have come from is anyone's guess.  I'll just say must've been ebay lot again.

The big surprises from "where'd this come from" is the dump bin purchases.  It's amazing what I'll buy for fifty cents or a quarter.

Of course the big draw back is the double purchases.  Recently bought that Blind Melon disc only to look on a shelf and see another copy.  Funny thing is I doubt I paid a dollar total for both.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 am

I've never had that happen with a CD, but a couple of years ago during a bout of house cleaning I found a couple of music DVDs (AC/DC's Family Jewels, an Alice Cooper live gig and one or two others) on top of a cabinet, buried under a bunch of papers and other stuff... and I had no clue where the hell they came from, cuz I don't buy a lot of music DVDs (and I'm pretty O.C.D. about the care and storage of the ones I *do* buy.)

I puzzled over them for a couple of days till it finally dawned on me that a guy at work had loaned them to me months before, and when I brought them home I'd stuck'em on top of the cabinet and forgotten all about 'em. I'd never even watched'em. So I brought them back to the guy the next day, apologized profusely, and asked "How come you weren't screamin' at me to give these back ages ago?" ... he sez "Because I knew I'd loaned them to somebody but I couldn't remember who it was!" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 am

I have done this ALOT

Had a cd in my hand and put it back on the assumption that I owned it on vinyl already. Then discovered later on that I was mistaken, and of course when returning to the scene of the crime...the cd had been procurred by another happy hunter.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:56 pm

The Heavy Metal Kids (who aren't really metal!) first two albums were OOP for a long time and all I had was a bootleg 2 on 1 disc. At some point their discs got re-issued and I bought them and just filed them since the boot still worked fine. Later when the boot wore out I bought them again since I had forgotten I already had factory copies. When I found the doubles it was actually a nice surprise since they came fairly cheap and will go OOP again at some point. They are likely to be collectors items and I don't mind having extras.
Actually in the early days of CD's and before MP3 I would buy extra copies of my fave CD's if I saw them for under $5 or less. I meant to have an office some day and use them there, but it never happened. Occasionally though one of my "classics" will get a scratch or skip, and then it's nice to have the extra copy on hand.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 am

I actually knowingly bought an extra copy of Trouble's Manic Frustration when I found a copy in the dollar bin. The copy I owned was in pretty rough shape and the dump bin one was immaculate.

I've purchased Witchfynde's Cloak & Dagger twice because I'm stupid.

Years back when Voivod's Nothingface was hard to find and going for insane prices I happened upon a five dollar used copy in a mall record store. Problem was it was black friday and I had relatives who needed to catch a flight so I didn't have time to wait in the long line. No problem, I'll just stash it and come back later. Besides beating myself up over losing such a score, I've often wondered about the person who when looking in the Big Bands sections came across it and bought it. I eventually broke down and paid a fair ebay price that was not five bucks.

Disturbance - We Come Out At Night sat on my amazon wish list forever. Because of the cheap price I never felt in any hurry in getting a copy. One day I look over at one of the CD racks in my home office and there it was. It's like it just appeared out of nowhere. Now if only I could get that to happen on some of my pricier wants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where Did This Come From?   Where Did This Come From? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where Did This Come From?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: