Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Penance - Pittsburgh Doom

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Empty
PostSubject: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:02 pm

While reading through a Black Sabbath book, there was a chapter dedicated to all the bands they've inspired. A good portion I knew (or was a least aware of), but one that I never heard was Penance out of Pittsburgh. They released 4 or 5 albums through the 90's and early '00 and have apparently broken up sometime around 2005 with the lead vocalist now in Argus (classic 70's metal with doomy parts, also good).

As luck would have it, I found one of their discs, Spiritualnatural, in the used bins of FYE. For $6 bucks, it seemd like a good risk. Paid off too. I like what I'm hearing, so now I'm looking around for more. Surprisingly, there are no threads about the band here, but surely they must have some fans of their brand of doom.

What should be my next step in investigating the Penance discography? Any clunkers I should avoid or any I must have? Any opinions, good, bad or indifferent are welcome.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Penance RULES!!! Especially the albums with Brian "Butch" Balich on vocals. Their drummer played on the first Cathedral album too, I think.

I've been buddies w/ Butch for over 10 years now...good dude. He used to ask vocal advice from me.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Penance RULES!!! Especially the albums with Brian "Butch" Balich on vocals. Their drummer played on the first Cathedral album too, I think.

I've been buddies w/ Butch for over 10 years now...good dude. He used to ask vocal advice from me.
Yea, I dig his style. He's not as smooth as some doom singers. Has a bit of grit to his vocals and has more of a "shouty" approach which works well with the music.

Have you heard his work in Argus?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Oh yeah....Argus is killer too.

Metal novice
Metal novice
trock67

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 pm

One of my favorite bands! Here's what you need:
1. Parallel Corners, with Lee Smith on vocals.
2. Proving Ground, Butch's debut with the band. My favorite.
3. Alpha and Omega.
I miss going to see them around Pittsburgh. I have seen Argus and they are excellent.

Last edited by trock67 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 am

trock67 wrote:
One of my favorite bands! Here's what you need:
1. Parallel Corners, first album with Lee Smith on vocals.
2. Proving Ground, Butch's debut with the band. My favorite.
3. Alpha and Omega.
I miss going to see them around Pittsburgh. I have seen Argus and they are excellent.
I have Proving Ground on my way to me. I'll be on the lookout for the others as well. Thanks!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 pm

I love Parallel Corners. I got lucky awhile back and found Road Less Traveled, Proving Ground, Alpha & Omega, and Spiritualnatural in Amoeba's discount rack. Didn't know they were from Pittsburgh. Guess I just assumed they were a Maryland band.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Parallel Corners and Proving Ground are my favorites! But I really enjoy all their albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penance - Pittsburgh Doom   Penance - Pittsburgh Doom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penance - Pittsburgh Doom
Page 1 of 1