Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mr. Big-To be with you

Go down 
+15
bass63
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
TheGreatDuck
mc666
manny
Boris2008
Thelemech
bgsully
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
MetalRob331
Hadley
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Mr. Big-To be with you Empty
PostSubject: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm a big fan of Todd in the Shadows, despite the fact that most of what he reviews is pop music (though he doesnt exactly have glowing reviews of much of that genre). However, here's a retrospective he did about Mr. Big, in particular, the song "To Be With You"

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/one-hit-wonderland/40342-one-hit-wonderland-to-be-with-you-by-mr-big
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Was a great listen and being that they charted with other hits, does that make them a ONE HIT WONDER?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 pm

That album was derivative as hell but a masterpiece as far as pop production and technical precision is concerned. That song however? Pure shit. Sounds like the bible songs we sang around the campfire.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:40 pm

corplhicks wrote:
That album was derivative as hell but a masterpiece as far as pop production and technical precision is concerned. That song however? Pure shit. Sounds like the bible songs we sang around the campfire.
I love that song headbanger  as I love most all 80's ballads... When I was younger I used to play the melody of To Be With You on guitar for the girls and the rest is history Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

I own that Mr. Big album, but I frickin hate that song... thankfully it's the last track on the CD so I can hit "stop" before it comes on Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I own that Mr. Big album, but I frickin hate that song... thankfully it's the last track on the CD so I can hit "stop" before it comes on Laughing very hard
Same here. It's sad to admit, but I figured everything had to be just as bad from Mr. Big, due to that one song. That song was just that horrendous.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 pm

There are so many ballads, like More Than Words, that are so much better and less campy than To Be With You.

But to avoid being a hypocrite...I must say my wife enjoys it when I sing this to her. So yeah, I do sing it for her. But that's probably because my wife is way cooler than that song will ever be.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:40 pm

They had other songs?! lol! .......god, I hated that song....and I love a good ballad.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:46 pm

MY favorites off that album were Green-Tinted Sixties Mind (killer intro) and My Kind of Woman. But still, we have to admit that originality was not at play here, even though the songs were well-crafted pop and played with sizzle.

I also hated Just Take My Heart, although it has a gorgeous intro (should be a separate track). Cliched muck...the band just couldn't write a sincere ballad.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I use to own Lean Into It and their debut on cassette back in the day, but they weren't that great to me. I expected so much more from the talent involved. To Be With You was an okay song and my wife loved it (still does). Oh well, it was great for them.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I never gave them much thought until my friend who was a guitar player said that the music on the album was pretty good and I suppose that is to be expected with who played on the album.

Still hate To Be With You sick 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Quote :
Same here. It's sad to admit, but I figured everything had to be just as bad from Mr. Big, due to that one song. That song was just that horrendous
Yep, it was years 'n' years before I gave them a chance, in fact I only picked up the Lean Into It CD maybe two years ago, tops. I found it at a yard sale and figured "Ehh, I hate that damn song but maybe it'll make decent trade bait"...but then I gave the disc a spin before putting it on my trade list and dammit, I hated to admit it but the rest of the album was actually pretty good. I was like, "Who knew?" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 9:40 pm

sick Mr. Big-To be with you 288219 
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I own the album, like the rest of the album, but I hate that damn song
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 am

You wanna know the worst part about it? Since I saw this post this afternoon, I've been humming it all damn day.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 am

That is one of the songs played at my wedding. My wife's pick, but it's not a bad song. A bit sappy though.

TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 am

Hated it at first, but it grew on me after some time. It's a decent song, but there are way better hair metal ballads out there.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am

I like the song well enough, even though I never cared much for the band. I had their debut and Lean Into It but got rid of them during a purge.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 am

I find the song annoying...... that said, the musicians in the band are excellent - I just don't like the songs they wrote
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I find the song annoying...... that said, the musicians in the band are excellent - I just don't like the songs they wrote
I'm a huge Paul Gilbert fan, but I always felt he did much better stuff outside of Mr. Big. I always thought that he and Billy Sheehan held back as to not overpower the songs themselves. The electric drill thing was cool though. Cool 

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

I've always liked that song & the rest of their music.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Cant really say i like Mr. Big, though i do like the songs Green-Tinted Sixties Mind (todd was right about how it'll get stuck in your head) and Just Take My Heart. I tried to get into the rest of their stuff but it never really registered with me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Good players sitting on their above-average skills to write primarily boring music that is easily digestible by undiscerning middle-of-the-road hard rock fans.

Sleep 
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Screw the haters...Mr. Big rules.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Screw the haters...Mr. Big rules.
...in Japan maybe. Razz 

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big-To be with you   Mr. Big-To be with you Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mr. Big-To be with you
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: