Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jon Oliva Storytellers tour

Go down 
+6
kmorg
Wayne
Orion Crystal Ice
Lari
BillRoxx
Big Rich
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Empty
PostSubject: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Who will try to make this?

With much rejoicing we can confirm the first confirmed
shows for the "Oliva Storytellers Tour". There has been
an incredible buzz from venues and promoters and we are
thrilled to announce the first (2) shows.

December 1st: The Lincoln Theatre
805 N. West St
Raleigh, NC 27603

December 4th: Dingbatz
620 Van Houten Ave
Clifton NJ (Just outside NY City)

MOJOES- (Chicago Area)
22 W. Cass St. Joliet, IL 60432
http://www.mojoesofjoliet.com/

Pittsburg, PA Storytellers Date Confirmed!

December 6, 2013 @ The Rex Theatre

http://www.rextheatre.com/

THE REX THEATER

1602 E CARSON ST

PITTSBURGH, PA 15203

More dates to be announced soon. Please check with venues directly for all ticket sale information. Let the party
begin!

Thank you all once again...Chris

http://www.maximumbands.com/oliva.html

Last edited by Big Rich on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh man, I have to try and see this too! You think thi will be the closest thing to a Savatage tour again?
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm

BillRoxx wrote:
Oh man, I have to try and see this too! You think thi will be the closest thing to a Savatage tour again?
Actually I think this will be more Jon Oliva, and less Savatage.

JOP was the closest thing to Savatage, the spiritual successor so to speak. And they toured a lot.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 10:18 pm

This sounds cool.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 pm

BillRoxx wrote:
I was lucky enough to catch the Jon Olivia's pain gig in london last year and as part of the 25th anniversary tour of the hall of the mountain king album. It was practically a savatage gig as they played all of the mountain king plus a great selection of other tunes.

I definitely hope this new tour makes the uk.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 6:02 pm

When I saw Jon Oliva's Pain they played only ONE JOP song (Through the Eyes of the King). The rest was all Savatage. Though it was a festival, so they probably figured it's better to cater to a larger audience, since a lot of people have heard of Savatage but not JOP.

Circle II Circle played an almost entirely original set when I saw them in a club, with only two or three 'Tage tracks.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 9:26 am

The Storyteller tour will be a career spanning thing. But isn't those usually more unplugged type things?

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Storytellers Tour Dates and Tampa Show Update:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Date Confirmed: December 8, 2013

MOJOES- (Chicago Area)
22 W. Cass St. Joliet, IL 60432
http://www.mojoesofjoliet.com/

Tickets on sale soon!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Florida fans: You will be happy to know that we are very close to finalizing our show here in Tampa. We will be ENDING the tour here on Monday, December 16th rather than us beginning a tour here as we usually do. It's going to a very special night indeed! We are coming home with some very cool ideas to make this
once in a lifetime event as memorable as we can. We hope to announce all the sticky details in the next 48 hours!

As for the rest of the tour, it is starting to shape up nicely.
We hope to announce 3-4 more shows in the next week so
so please stay tuned. Kudos to our promoter Rich Rubin of Maximum Bands for his extremely dedicated hardwork.
This is a very unusual show to promote, but he is working
his ass off everyday and it's looking real good so far.

Thanks again for all the support....We can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Pittsburg, PA Storytellers Date Confirmed!

December 6, 2013 @ The Rex Theatre

http://www.rextheatre.com/

THE REX THEATER

1602 E CARSON ST

PITTSBURGH, PA 15203
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Going to resurrect this thread as I actually caught the show in Pittsburgh.  One of the friends I went with caught some video:

If I Go Away:

Look at the World:

Fly Away:

Alone You Breathe:

Child in Time (Deep Purple) / When the Crowds are Gone:

Overall, it was a pretty cool, informal show.  The sound in the room was PAINFULLY damn loud though.  The videos are actually better sounding than the noise in the room, but it was worth it.  Some of Jon's stories were pretty funny and the guy was drinking throughout the show, so it got a little raucous at times.

Did anyone else on the board catch one of these gigs?

EDIT: Oh, and before anyone gets on the "annoying people with cell phones" thing, trust me, I'm totally on board. That said, we were in the back row (small venue) and people were actually running up right next to the stage with their phones to get close angle recordings. THAT was annoying, but where we were sitting, it didn't really stand to bother anyone save those folks who were propping up the bar in the back of the room.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Me and 2 other friends were suppose to go to the one in NJ but the timing was bad cause it was in December and its about a 2 hour or so drive from me. I also ended up having a falling out with one of the guys so it was a good thing we didn't get tickets anyway. I really wanted to go but it just didn't happen.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:18 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Me and 2 other friends were suppose to go to the one in NJ but the timing was bad cause it was in December and its about a 2 hour or so drive from me. I also ended up having a falling out with one of the guys so it was a good thing we didn't get tickets anyway. I really wanted to go but it just didn't happen.

Bummer... We ended up having a 3 hour drive (roughly - the drive back seemed WAY longer) each way, but with four of us in the car, it was a lot easier to manage. It is officially the longest I've ever travelled to see someone live. I just didn't want to go "Oh, I'll catch Jon next time around," and then hear that he'd given up on touring or died or something.

I passed on seeing Therion both times they came through Philly and, after the second, they said they'd never tour North America again because they get ripped off every time they come here. That torqued me off mightily when you consider they apparently do healthy enough business in Eastern Europe and South America. I can only imagine how badly promoters here are hosing them.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Unless they come to Ft. Worth, it ain't happening. Nothing I ever want to see comes here anymore (Galactic Cowboys reunion in 2009 not withstanding). I never got to see Savatage and probably won't ever see Jon either. TSO was the closest I will probably get  Sad .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:56 pm

I caught the Raleigh show. I bet there wasn't 40 people in attendance. It was great to see Jon perform again even if he sat the entire set. And the stories he shared were great. My only complaint was the volume. It was just painfully loud.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

nevermore wrote:
I caught the Raleigh show. I bet there wasn't 40 people in attendance. It was great to see Jon perform again even if he sat the entire set. And the stories he shared were great. My only complaint was the volume. It was just painfully loud.

We definitely had mixed feelings among my group about the show. With TSO playing in Ohio, I think, that night, it seemed really stupid that he was playing a rather run down theater in Pittsburgh to a crowd of rowdy drunks and the like who were shouting stupid crap throughout the show. Ultimately, it was kind of cool to see a show where the headliner walks past you and shakes your hand on his way to the stage. I mean, try to find an intimate gig like that among anyone else with that kind of history who is totally cool with that kind of setup.

I also had the thought that maybe he PREFERS that kind of gig. I mean, someone passed him a pipe before an encore. Find me a Ticketmaster venue where that would have happened. I think he still likes touring as if it's the old days and the more ramshackle and crazy things can get, the better for him. So, hey, good times all around.

But yeah, the sound was pretty painful. Again, worth it, but you have to ask how bad the sound engineer's hearing is that it seemed remotely necessarily. The sad part is that it's not uncommon to go to any number of gigs and have your ears blown out. It's the new normal and kind of cuts into the fun of catching a show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon Oliva Storytellers tour   Jon Oliva Storytellers tour Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jon Oliva Storytellers tour
Page 1 of 1