Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rvnning Wild!

Go down 
+15
ZombieHavoc
metalheaded
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
Wurthless
nevermore
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
MoonChild
Alex Dee Rokket
jettafiend
corplhicks
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

The BEST RW Album!
Gates to Purgatory (1984)
Rvnning Wild! Vote_lcap9%Rvnning Wild! Vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Branded and Exiled (1985)
Rvnning Wild! Vote_lcap0%Rvnning Wild! Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Under Jolly Roger (1987)
 9% [ 2 ]
Port Royal (1988)
Rvnning Wild! Vote_lcap14%Rvnning Wild! Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Death or Glory (1989)
Rvnning Wild! Vote_lcap18%Rvnning Wild! Vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Blazon Stone (1991)
 9% [ 2 ]
Pile of Skulls (1992)
 14% [ 3 ]
Black Hand Inn (1994)
 14% [ 3 ]
Masquerade (1995)
Rvnning Wild! Vote_lcap5%Rvnning Wild! Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
The Rivalry (1998)
 0% [ 0 ]
Victory (2000)
 5% [ 1 ]
The Brotherhood (2002)
 0% [ 0 ]
Rogues en Vogue (2005)
 0% [ 0 ]
Shadowmaker (2012)
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 am

God I love this band. Just got my four-year-old into it too since he's developing a fascination with pirates.

Now, I've only heard everything up through Rivalry, and IMO they didn't release a single stinker up to that point.

Regardless, it's pretty straight-forward for me. Blazon Stone is the Screaming for Vengeance of the 90's. In that I mean every song is great and no song is better than the other. One of the greatest metal albums I'll ever own.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:30 am

Seeing as how the only 2 albums that I have heard are Victory and Rogues I voted Victory but they are both great albums.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:48 am

Running Wild are one of my all time favorite metal bands. I could be here all day long talking about each album in details.

Suffice to say that I think this band deserved more attention during the 1980s when they could have had a real chance along side the likes to Accept and Saxon. Unfortunately for Rolf it didn't quite turn out that way.

I think Running Wild stylistically bloomed rather late in the 80s metal scene. By the time Running Wild had found its style and peaked creatively, the rest of the music world no longer cared enough for this type of metal (or metal generally). Running Wild remained popular in various parts of Europe, Germany of course seemed to always be their main ground but I think other parts of Europe also embraced Rolf's signature sound. Unfortunately at the same time, Running Wild have also been viewed as somewhat of a novelty act due to the pirate image. Not everyone took a liking for it, some it appears even finding it too humorous to be taken seriously.

Running Wild definitely has its niche fans in metal, I would assume most power / speed / traditional metal fans enjoy the band but as it normally goes, those sub-genres of metal have never really been about popularity or at least mainstream success.

The other issue has been the ever revolving line-ups. Unfortunately Rolf could never really keep a steady line-up for more than a couple of albums. There were always changes and that I think also impacted on the continuity of the band. While Rolf had a proper band, the songwriting was strong and focused; but with personnel changes the songwriting just became more and more diluted. This has shown over the more recent albums which are essentially just a Rolf solo project.

Touring has also been inconsistent over the years. I think Running Wild as a band could have easily taken advantage of the new found interest in metal during the late 90s early 00s and to some extent they did as the name is still out there but awareness of the band's catalog remains moderate at best.

Lastly, the other factor that has affected the band over the years is poor distribution of their studio albums. Running Wild were a Noise Records band for a long time. Outside of a few mainstays such as Kreator or Celtic Frost, Noise Records have always had very poor distribution as far as I'm aware. Things took a turn for the worst when Noise went bust, and then when Sanctuary went bust too. Basically at least for over a decade now Running Wild's back catalog has remained largely out of print. You can still find some albums here and there if you are lucky but never all of the band's catalog in one place at once.

I was super lucky to be able to track down all their albums in a local store about a decade ago. One afternoon I left work earlier, went to our local music store and there it was, the entire Running Wild discography. I bought all the albums in one swoop. The storekeepers were like you really like this band huh... I was like you don't even know... up until that point I only had a compilation called 20 Years of Piracy (or something like that) which I played to death.

After that I never saw another Running Wild album in stores ever again. Well not entirely, because I have seen their more recent releases in stores but nothing from the band's golden era.

Unfortunately those three factors combined: unstable line-up, limited touring, poor album distribution have limited Running Wild's audience over the years. Running Wild should easily be as known as Accept or Saxon but they are not and it's not due to the quality of the music but the business decisions made over the years.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Running Wild are one of my all time favorite metal bands. I could be here all day long talking about each album in details.

Suffice to say that I think this band deserved more attention during the 1980s when they could have had a real chance along side the likes to Accept and Saxon. Unfortunately for Rolf it didn't quite turn out that way.

I think Running Wild stylistically bloomed rather late in the 80s metal scene. By the time Running Wild had found its style and peaked creatively, the rest of the music world no longer cared enough for this type of metal (or metal generally). Running Wild remained popular in various parts of Europe, Germany of course seemed to always be their main ground but I think other parts of Europe also embraced Rolf's signature sound. Unfortunately at the same time, Running Wild have also been viewed as somewhat of a novelty act due to the pirate image. Not everyone took a liking for it, some it appears even finding it too humorous to be taken seriously.

Running Wild definitely has its niche fans in metal, I would assume most power / speed / traditional metal fans enjoy the band but as it normally goes, those sub-genres of metal have never really been about popularity or at least mainstream success.

The other issue has been the ever revolving line-ups. Unfortunately Rolf could never really keep a steady line-up for more than a couple of albums. There were always changes and that I think also impacted on the continuity of the band. While Rolf had a proper band, the songwriting was strong and focused; but with personnel changes the songwriting just became more and more diluted. This has shown over the more recent albums which are essentially just a Rolf solo project.

Touring has also been inconsistent over the years. I think Running Wild as a band could have easily taken advantage of the new found interest in metal during the late 90s early 00s and to some extent they did as the name is still out there but awareness of the band's catalog remains moderate at best.

Lastly, the other factor that has affected the band over the years is poor distribution of their studio albums. Running Wild were a Noise Records band for a long time. Outside of a few mainstays such as Kreator or Celtic Frost, Noise Records have always had very poor distribution as far as I'm aware. Things took a turn for the worst when Noise went bust, and then when Sanctuary went bust too. Basically at least for over a decade now Running Wild's back catalog has remained largely out of print. You can still find some albums here and there if you are lucky but never all of the band's catalog in one place at once.

I was super lucky to be able to track down all their albums in a local store about a decade ago. One afternoon I left work earlier, went to our local music store and there it was, the entire Running Wild discography. I bought all the albums in one swoop. The storekeepers were like you really like this band huh... I was like you don't even know... up until that point I only had a compilation called 20 Years of Piracy (or something like that) which I played to death.

After that I never saw another Running Wild album in stores ever again. Well not entirely, because I have seen their more recent releases in stores but nothing from the band's golden era.

Unfortunately those three factors combined: unstable line-up, limited touring, poor album distribution have limited Running Wild's audience over the years. Running Wild should easily be as known as Accept or Saxon but they are not and it's not due to the quality of the music but the business decisions made over the years.

Agreed. And for the record, the pirate slant is about the coolest thing for a band, at least in my book.

But the question remains...which album will Alex vote for...?
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:59 am

I pick:   Blazon Stone
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:30 am

Port Royal. The very first of their classics, and the one that kicks me the most. Even though they improved the style and quality later on, this one has the most "feel" on it for my ears.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 am

Today, Masquerade. Could just as easily have been Under Jolly Roger or Black Hand Inn.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 am

I need to get something from this band. I've been interested in checking them out for a while.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 am

Major favorite for me too, cue bitterness over how a billion bands get more credit and respect.

I would have to rank them like this:

1. Death or Glory
2. Black Hand Inn
3. Masquerade
4. Blazon Stone
5. Under Jolly Roger
6. Pile Of Skulls
7. Port Royal
8. Branded And Exiled
9. Victory
10. The Brotherhood
11. Gates To Purgatory
12. The Rivalry
13. Shadowmaker

And I gotta represent, while I'm here...

Rvnning Wild! 229526_1944185117760_2497610_n
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

I have the same shirt ^
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 am

Looks good dude. headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I need to get something from this band. I've been interested in checking them out for a while.

This post is for those such as yourself, I guess the thread could use some links:

I could go on and on..
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:46 am

It's a toss up between Blazon Stone and Pile Of Skulls and since Pile doesn't have any votes yet, I'll go with that one.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:

This post is for those such as yourself, I guess the thread could use some links:

I could go on and on..
Good selection, as well as a primer for newcomers. cool 
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Only 13 replies. The stench of wimps and posers fills the hall.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Lol I was thinking the same thing.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

I will listen and then I will be tr00 
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Under Jolly Roger has always been my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:15 pm

I've only listened to Port Royal before, so I can't really say it's their "best", but I do like that one.

Looks like I'm going to have to jam some more of their stuff. Would Black Hand Inn be a good place to start? Or maybe Death or Glory?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I've only listened to Port Royal before, so I can't really say it's their "best", but I do like that one.

Looks like I'm going to have to jam some more of their stuff. Would Black Hand Inn be a good place to start? Or maybe Death or Glory?

Anything from PR up to BHI will be a fine place. Even UJR, if you're looking for more straight forward, traditional sound. I'd go with Black Hand Inn (or Pile of Skulls), although DoG is usually being praised the most, but personally I don't like both Death or Glory and Blazon Stone as much as they are rated usually - there are a couple of not-so-good tracks and the latter has strange recording quality.

Meanwhile Gates of Purgatory has one vote, and this is, ehh, a sophisticated choice Razz
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Wurthless wrote:

I always say Blazon Stone but many may disagree with me. It was their most accessible and glossy album from what I can tell.

SLAY-VER-EE...THE PAIN. OF. THE SEA. SLAY-VER-EE...IN. HUMAN. ITEE.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Hell, I might just listen to all of them, seeing as Spotify has them. Too bad I'm on a spur of the moment Avant-Prog kick at the moment, though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Port Royal through The Rivalry are all excellent and about equal for me.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

I always say Blazon Stone but many may disagree with me. It was their most accessible and glossy album from what I can tell.

Slavery and Heads or Tails are songs that just don't click with me on Blazon Stone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

Slavery and Heads or Tails are songs that just don't click with me on Blazon Stone Very Happy

landlubber Razz 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rvnning Wild! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rvnning Wild!   Rvnning Wild! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rvnning Wild!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next