Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bad first impressions of a band?

Go down 
+17
ultmetal
MoonChild
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
CRIMSONMASK
jstate
Fat Freddy
bgsully
James B.
BearOnUnicycle
GrandNational
mc666
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
stepcousin
Hadley
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Bad first impressions of a band? Empty
PostSubject: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 pm

(i originally posted this on the Christian Metal Realm,. but its an interesting enough topic that it can go here as well)

Let me explain what i mean by the thread title. The first Stryper album i bought was In God We Trust. I liked some of the heavier songs, but for the most part i found it mediocre and too light even by hair metal standards. However, later i picked up Yellow and Black Attack and Soldiers Under Command, which were much heavier and better and sold me entirely on stryper. Ive even since warmed up to IGWT (save for "Its Up 2 U"). Has something similar ever happened to you?
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 pm

back in '81 when Def Leppard's Hign-N-Dry came out, I thought they were an AC/DC ripoff band. It took me about 6 months to pull my head out and appreciate it (I was just 13 or 14 so you get more of a free pass as far as stupidity goes).
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 pm

The Black Album was my introduction to Metallica. I liked it, but it didn't prepare me for the awesomeness that would follow when I discovered "Ride the Lightning."

So, not a BAD first impression, but not one that did justice to the band when it comes to their first 4.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:54 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
The Black Album was my introduction to Metallica. I liked it, but it didn't prepare me for the awesomeness that would follow when I discovered "Ride the Lightning."

So, not a BAD first impression, but not one that did justice to the band when it comes to their first 4.

Same experience here. The Black Album was just so huge when it came out, that's all I heard.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 am

Lots of bands are that way for me. I first hear them & don't get it. That's why I play an album repeatedly, sometimes in a row, sometimes spaced out over time. I often "get it" a little later on. One perfect example was iwrestledabearonce. First listen, I was like WTF are they trying to do with this nonsense?

They are now one of my favorite bands.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:30 am

mc666 wrote:
One perfect example was iwrestledabearonce. First listen, I was like WTF are they trying to do with this nonsense?

I wish I had your patience Monty, I tried to get through this band several times but never "got" them like you.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 3:04 am

GrandNational wrote:
mc666 wrote:
One perfect example was iwrestledabearonce. First listen, I was like WTF are they trying to do with this nonsense?

I wish I had your patience Monty, I tried to get through this band several times but never "got" them like you.
Well it helps if you are into deathcore & love female vocals, both clean & extreme. Their ambient, progressive, techno type stuff is easier to swallow when there are elements that you can dig. You end up enjoying the entire package.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 5:26 am

Most of those albums which grown to be my favorites were the ones I didn't get at first. For instance, Queensryche's RFO, Leatherowlf's Street Ready (took like 12 spins combined with their Leatherowlf II - this one also fits), WASP's The Crimson Idol and many others. Usually if I like something from the start, I quickly get bored of it after. But music that didn't kick me initally has something like layers that keep you coming back, listen to it over and over and find new little elements you haven't heard before.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 7:29 am

I keard the Holy Rite album and was like surprised  Then I saw them in concert and it changed my appreciation of the band. A little history......4/5 of Holy Rite (minus the singer who went on to Final Axe and later Titanic) changed thier name to Iron Wrath and have a tune on Regency's "Underground Metal 2" release,

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Most of those albums which grown to be my favorites were the ones I didn't get at first. For instance, Queensryche's RFO, Leatherowlf's Street Ready (took like 12 spins combined with their Leatherowlf II - this one also fits), WASP's The Crimson Idol and many others. Usually if I like something from the start, I quickly get bored of it after. But music that didn't kick me initally has something like layers that keep you coming back, listen to it over and over and find new little elements you haven't heard before.

Excellent point. I can name several albums that I loved immediately and played over and over, but got bored with and never listen to now. By contrast, I can name several albums that I didn't "get" at first, but which have become some of my favorites.

Interestingly, the first few times I heard Iron Maiden, they didn't do much for me. But I kept listening, and now they are my very favorite metal band.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:00 am

Grand Funk Railroad.
All I had ever heard was "we're an American band" (and I still hate that song), and "I'm your captain". I decided that they sucked early in my teen years.... Later as an adult, I was discussing good music with a roofer I was helping, and he introduced me to the rest of their sound......been a fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:09 am

The first time I heard Manowar, they were on MTV's Headbangers Ball to pimp the premiere of their first ever video. So of course they're in their Conan outfits and they're talking about how they're the loudest, hardest, heaviest band in the universe, the video was gonna melt your face, blah blah blah and my naïve 16 year old self bought their line of BS hook and sinker, I sez "Wow!" and prepared for total annihilation.

Then the video played ... and it was "Blow Your Speakers," which is not only Manowar's worst song, but one of the worst songs in the history of recorded music, accompanied by an equally stupid video.

It was YEARS before I gave Manowar another chance. I don't think I got on board till they released Louder Than Hell in '96. I own quite a few of their CDs nowadays but I've never been more than a casual fan at best.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:14 am

White Lion

When Wait and When The Children Cry were radio hits I thought "ehh". Eventually I heard the rest of Pride (and it probably was Lady Of The Valley that did it for me) and became a fan. Then when I heard Fight To Survive I became a big fan. Funny that in my opinion their two weakest songs in their whole catalogue were also their biggest hits. Hey whatever sells.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The first time I heard Manowar, they were on MTV's Headbangers Ball to pimp the premiere of their first ever video. So of course they're in their Conan outfits and they're talking about how they're the loudest, hardest, heaviest band in the universe, the video was gonna melt your face, blah blah blah and my naïve 16 year old self bought their line of BS hook and sinker, I sez "Wow!" and prepared for total annihilation.

Then the video played ... and it was "Blow Your Speakers," which is not only Manowar's worst song, but one of the worst songs in the history of recorded music, accompanied by an equally stupid video.

It was YEARS before I gave Manowar another chance. I don't think I got on board till they released Louder Than Hell in '96. I own quite a few of their CDs nowadays but I've never been more than a casual fan at best.

I discovered Manowar from that same HBB episode with the "Blow Your Speakers" video, & Z-Rock played "Defender" alot, so I thought they sucked. It wasn't until I got to college & my room mate had all their old CDs-Hail to England, Battle Hymns, etc that I could appreciate them in all their cheesy poser-crushing glory. But still, Speakers ain't the only thing that song blows
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:51 pm

First Rainbow song I ever heard was Since You've been Gone. Not the worst song ever but hardly representative of the greatness that preceded it.

Last edited by Boris2008 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 pm

My Rainbow introduction was 'Street of Dreams'................. sick  it would be years before I discovered the Dio era.....
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:48 am

bgsully wrote:
Grand Funk Railroad.
All I had ever heard was "we're an American band" (and I still hate that song), and "I'm your captain". I decided that they sucked early in my teen years.... Later as an adult, I was discussing good music with a roofer I was helping, and he introduced me to the rest of their sound......been a fan ever since.

This! and then apply it to Ultimatum, or Porcupine Tree, who I didn't get at first, but are now one of my favorite bands. Others that I would mention are Live, U2, and INXS. Ironically, INXS never clicked with me until I heard Elegantly Wasted. Now I am a fan for life. U2 are still growing on me but I still think that Bono is an overrated douche' even if they do write good songs, just nothing mind-blowing.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 am

Not metal, but Dylan was a p*ssy to me while I was growing up. Now he's a god in my eyes. Same with Neil Young.

Moving on to metal, well, rock, Rush was one that didn't click right away. Of course, I hadn't heard 2112 or Moving Pictures. In fact, most of what I first heard were the synth albums, if you want to call them that. I hated it. But then I heard 2112, and a beautiful chapter in my life began...
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

Yes, same with me as well.

The first AC/DC album I got was "For Those About To Rock......". I never felt it was a bad record, but from there I went to The Razor's Edge, TNT, Dirty Deeds, Back in Black......... headbanger

Also my first Def Leppard album was Hysteria, which didn't impress me much, but then I got Pyromania and High N Dry it was a different ball game.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:19 am

Whitesnake. First song I heard was Here I Go Again. Hated it. Still hate it. Then I heard Still of the Night. I was all headbanger yeeeaaaaaah headbanger . Then I bought the album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am

My first exposure to Slaughter was the ballad Fly to the Angels, which didn't leave a great impression on me. As such, I never got into them and shrugged them off as "posers". Odd since I was such a big Vinnie Vincent Invasion fan. However, I saw Slaughter on the 1999 Rock Never Stops tour and and they were great! I became a fan at that point and went back and purchased all their albums. I've since seen them another two of three times and met them once.

Metal novice
Metal novice
maper74

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:27 am

My first exposure to Machine Head was the video for "From This Day", which I absolutely loved at the time, being very heavily into Nu Metal, so it didn't hurt at the time. But say that I would've heard it today as the first machine Head song... prolly wouldn't have stuck around with them for as long as I have.
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 am

Keep in mind that I'm only 20 when you read the following examples. When you don't grow up with the bands you listen to and discover them in retrospective only, you get surprised often. Very Happy

Krokus... Heard my father playing them a few times, but mostly some "newer era" stuff like Hellraiser. Then I got introduced to Headhunter and On Vice At A Time and it blew my mind! Smile

Gotthard... Goodness, I can't stand 'Homerun' anymore. This one got played over and over again by my family. And then I listened to their first few masterpieces. Glad that they do hard rock again.

Scorpions... Wind Of Change was for a looong time the only song I knew by them. Hate that one. Really. Hated the band as well, until I discovered that they make good rock as well. Although I still don't like Klaus Meine. He has a rather weak/faint voice, imo...

Ozzy... Hahaha, before I started to listen to Black Sabbath, I only knew Ozzy's "Dreamer". So I had absolutely wrong associations when I thought of him.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 am

"Blow Your Speakers" the worst Manowar song? Wow.

I love Manowar, and that one is not among my favorites, but every album just about is about half awesome metal anthems and half terrible ballads. I would say most of those ballads fall in the worse-than-"Blow Your Speakers" category.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Happened to me with Ghost, now I love them. I didn't like how they sounded on the first album, when I first heard it. It just sounded out dated to me and I didn't get the vocals. It didn't take me til almost a year later when I saw some live videos online, then it sank in and now I can't stop listening to them.

PostSubject: Re: Bad first impressions of a band?   Bad first impressions of a band? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad first impressions of a band?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next