Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Venom calm before the storm

Go down 
+9
mc666
stormspell
MoonChild
corplhicks
Boris2008
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Stender
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Venom calm before the storm Empty
PostSubject: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:12 pm

I really like this album for a later Venom release. Less thrashy whatever, more melody. What do you pecks think?

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:17 pm

It's funny how all the Venom fans reacted like they'd never ever heard a basic heavy metal album before.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:29 pm

It not that it is a basic heavy metal that upset Venom fans like myself, but its the first one where they sort of showed the ability to play their instruments, which in most cases would be a reason to cheer. But Venom's ability to write a catchy tune about Satan while sounding like they meet their instruments on a blind date was one of their charms.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Don't think that ever heard this record, they lost me with Possessed and once I had Celtic Frost, I had little use for (new) Venom.

Hearing it now I wasn't missing much. I give respect to them for pushing boundaries in the early days but they really weren't that good after the classic Black Metal.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 2:13 pm

I hadn't heard this one either, only their earlier stuff. Now I wish I would've heard about this earlier. That's some fierce shit there, even if it isn't typical Venom (almost like a side project, really).

One thing confuses me while I'm listening to this, though, and keep in mind I'm using laptop speakers, but the wiki entry for this album says the following:

Quote :
The album is characterised by a "cleaner", more synthetic sound when compared to Venom's other albums. Especially the drums, which sound almost like a drum machine, are contributing to this fact.

Drum machine?? surprised 
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 4:47 pm

I am a venom fan myself, and love the works.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Good album
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 8:09 pm

It's not a bad album by any means. Of course, I might feel different if I had been a Venom fan from their inception. I didn't get into them until like 88, so it wasn't a shock to me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:17 pm

This is the first I've ever heard anything from this. But I'm only a casual Venom fan and jhave only heard the early stuff. Not too bad, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 am

I liked this album! It showed a new side to venom and with 2 guitarists on this, I thought it really made them a fuller sounding band.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I liked this album! It showed a new side to venom and with 2 guitarists on this, I thought it really made them a fuller sounding band.

It did make their sound fuller but I missed that sloppy reckless style they had down pat. Still this is a good record. It just doesn't beat the earlier catalog to my ears.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 6:39 pm

I bought it and then traded it in a week later, I missed the sloppy absurdity of their early material. They were a fantastic joke metal band but boring as hell once they tried to play it straight.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't have this one. Sad 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 6:27 am

Cronos had said that CBTS is more of a solo record that was released as a Venom record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Venom calm before the storm   Venom calm before the storm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venom calm before the storm
Page 1 of 1