Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EU Metal vs US Metal

Go down 
+10
Dark Horseman
James B.
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
corplhicks
krokus
Orion Crystal Ice
Witchfinder
kmorg
Alex Dee Rokket
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 12:24 pm

America is a huge country and regional differences can be quite large. Country Music doesn't permeate every corner and doesn't speak to every American. It speaks to rural America surely, but that's a very different mindset than you find in the major metropolitan areas (and each major city tends to have it's own "vibe"). The cultural differences between states can be almost as great as between countries in other parts of the world.

I think the tendency is to paint in very broad strokes when talking about what is and isn't "American" and in doing so you lose the complex detail that actually makes it a unique experience.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 12:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
America is a huge country and regional differences can be quite large. Country Music doesn't permeate every corner and doesn't speak to every American. It speaks to rural America surely, but that's a very different mindset than you find in the major metropolitan areas (and each major city tends to have it's own "vibe"). The cultural differences between states can be almost as great as between countries in other parts of the world.

I think the tendency is to paint in very broad strokes when talking about what is and isn't "American" and in doing so you lose the complex detail that actually makes it a unique experience.

Of course, but again my point was that Country Music is aimed at an American audience and European Power Metal is aimed at a European audience. Thus the relative success or failure of those genres outside of their respective cultures.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 12:49 pm

I think most here do know that though. What we're trying to do is examine beyond the basic most common denominator of culture knowledge. Treating one big issue with one big answer doesn't do a whole lot, it's why our President thinks the magic button to health is Obamacare.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think most here do know that though. What we're trying to do is examine beyond the basic most common denominator of culture knowledge. Treating one big issue with one big answer doesn't do a whole lot, it's why our President thinks the magic button to health is Obamacare.

Occam's Razor

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Came here to say this. The idea is deconstruct the dichotomy to explore the contrasts in cultural identities. Deconstructionism and Occam's Razor are like oil and water; the two have never gotten along, especially when you consider that Occam's Razor leans towards the finite and Deconstructionism takes a more Gnostic approach, the fact that there is no fact. Exploration v problem-solving.

So far several theories have been thrown out there: irony, anger, cynicism, apathy, history, tradition...and I would say they're all part of the equation and can be isolated and broken down even more.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 1:36 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Came here to say this. The idea is deconstruct the dichotomy to explore the contrasts in cultural identities. Deconstructionism and Occam's Razor are like oil and water; the two have never gotten along, especially when you consider that Occam's Razor leans towards the finite and Deconstructionism takes a more Gnostic approach, the fact that there is no fact. Exploration v problem-solving.

So far several theories have been thrown out there: irony, anger, cynicism, apathy, history, tradition...and I would say they're all part of the equation and can be isolated and broken down even more.

I am an attorney. I prefer Occam's Razor because Deconstructionism has no place in my line of work.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I am an attorney. I prefer Occam's Razor because Deconstructionism has no place in my line of work.

I can appreciate this. I have a background in Lit, specifically Postmodernism/Crit Thinking, and one of my best friends is a defense attorney, so when we debate it can get pretty bizarre, but enjoyable nonetheless. Cool
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I can appreciate this. I have a background in Lit, specifically Postmodernism/Crit Thinking, and one of my best friends is a defense attorney, so when we debate it can get pretty bizarre, but enjoyable nonetheless. Cool

Cool Makes sense!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

This is a good thread!

I think there is a bit of truth in everythin mentioned.

That said, I'm not really sure that metalhead per inhabitant in most European countries are much higher than in the US. In Germany and Finland, yes. But not in, let's say, Portugal or France.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I am going with the time and place scenario. Anything else is speculative at best. I've never been to Europe and won't fool myself my assuming I have a clue by what is seen on media or observing any cultural aspect(s) from afar. My heritage has given me experience of how things were for my ancestors through family stories and some personal studying of the European countries my family came from. (Norway and Ireland) Still, my experience has been "americanized", not only only through time passing but the maneerisms in which my family adapted to the way of life after immigrating here.

I agree with what S.D stated about regional connotations...being that I was born and raised in one of the U.S largest populated regions (So. Calif) and now reside in one of most sparsely populated (Montana) There are alot of people here in Montana that do not even know that "Power Metal" even exists. much less what it sounds like or what lyrical content represents. That goes for alot of other styles of music as well. I have often wondered if bands like Hammerfall and such were around in the early to mid 80's, would I dig them more than now ? I have my fair share of so called "cheese" bands that I listen to still, but mostly due to them being part of a scene from past years of my life.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Some parts of Europe are also very interesting as they seem to connect with a lot of our 'folk' and/or country or country influenced artists... 16 Horsepower/Woven Hand, Molly Hatchet, Bruce Springsteen....these are all presenting music we would say is very American in a really base sense but fans in Germany for example can't get enough.

Also, just for the record I'm not a deconstructionist. That's far too big of a broadstroke. Wink
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm

This is why:

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:53 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
This is why:

Armored Saint blows Helloween away (IMHDO)

PostSubject: Re: EU Metal vs US Metal   EU Metal vs US Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EU Metal vs US Metal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2