Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Storm Thorgerson

Go down 
+4
Required Fields
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
Tur-Thalion
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

RIP Storm Thorgerson Empty
PostSubject: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:12 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22210378
Quote :

Tributes paid to Pink Floyd album artist Storm Thorgerson

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason is among the artists who have praised album artwork designer Storm Thorgerson, who has died aged 69.

In a statement, he recalled his "great ideas and high, sometimes infuriatingly high, standards".

Mason said the artist - whose work included The Dark Side of the Moon - was a "tireless worker right up to the end".

Vocalist Dave Gilmour called him "an inseparable part of our work".

The childhood friend of the founding members of the band, he became their designer-in-chief, fashioning a string of eye-catching creations.

Mason said: "Two days before he passed away, and by then completely exhausted, he was still demanding approval for artwork and haranguing his loyal assistants."

He said the artist was a "dear friend to all of us, our children, our wives (and the exes); endlessly intellectual and questioning; breathtakingly late for appointments and meetings, but once there, invaluable for his ideas, humour, and friendship".

Thorgerson credits also include albums by Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and Muse.

His family released a statement saying he died peacefully on Thursday surrounded by family and friends.

"He had been ill for some time with cancer though he had made a remarkable recovery from his stroke in 2003," it said.

"He is survived by his mother Vanji, his son Bill, his wife Barbie Antonis and her two children Adam and Georgia."

Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist Dave Gilmour said: "We first met in our early teens. We would gather at Sheep's Green, a spot by the river in Cambridge and Storm would always be there holding forth, making the most noise, bursting with ideas and enthusiasm. Nothing has ever really changed.

"He has been a constant force in my life, both at work and in private, a shoulder to cry on and a great friend. I will miss him."

'Simple idea'

A statement on the Pink Floyd.com official site said: "We are saddened by the news that long-time Pink Floyd graphic genius, friend and collaborator, Storm Thorgerson, has died.

"Our thoughts are with his family and many friends."

Thorgerson began his career with UK design group Hipgnosis, founded in the late 1960s and his distinctive style made him one of the industry's most recognisable artists.

Among his Pink Floyd covers, there was the mournful-looking cow on the front of Atom Heart Mother, the burning businessman on the sleeve of Wish You Were Here, the giant pig flying over Battersea Power Station and the prism spreading a spectrum of colour across The Dark Side Of The Moon.

He told the BBC in 2009: "It's a nice but simple idea. Refracting light through a prism is a common feature in nature, as in a rainbow. I would like to claim it, but unfortunately it's not mine!"

The idea was sparked by Pink Floyd's keyboard player, the late Richard Wright, he explained.

"He said, somewhat provocatively, 'Let's not have one of your photos, we've had your photos before. Can't we have a change? A cool graphic - something smart, tidy, elegant.'"

Fans and artists, including Spandau Ballet's Gary Kemp, also took to Twitter to express their sadness - The Telegraph's rock critic Neil McCormack tweeted: "RIP Storm Thorgerson. The pig has flown."

Blur guitarist Graham Coxon said simply: "Storm X".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 pm

Probably my all-time favorite album cover artist. He was a legend.

RIP Storm Thorgerson Dcv2p
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 pm

I agree completely. I'm not sure if he had been active through all these years; but I thought that in addition to his classics, some of his 2000s covers were also awesome: the two he did for The Mars Volta, and the two he did for Muse.

Deloused in the Comatorium
RIP Storm Thorgerson Cover_31447272009

Frances the Mute
RIP Storm Thorgerson Mars_volta_frances_the_mute

Absolution
RIP Storm Thorgerson Muse_-_Absolution_Cover_UK

Black Holes and Revelations
RIP Storm Thorgerson Muse_-_black_holes_and_revelations
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh, man... Shocked R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I knew he did the Floyd covers and the Alan Parsons cover but I didn't realize he did the cover for Peter Gabriel's "melting face" album. Not only is that a great cover but I love that album too. RIP

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 7:52 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 pm

RIP Storm Thorgerson L

Scorpions Eye to Eye unused cover.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 am

A lot of people sing crap about how bad the Lovedrive album art is; I always found it enigmatic and arresting. Awesome artist. Always loved the Hipgnosis work.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:47 am

Amazing artist with a unique perspective whose immense talent and vision will be missed.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 am

That's a bummer. He did some amazing work.

Anthrax's Stomp 442 was one of his:
RIP Storm Thorgerson 220px-AnthraxStomp442_Improved

Also Bruce Dickinson's Skunkworks:
RIP Storm Thorgerson 220px-Skunkworks_cover

...and Styx's Cyclorama, which is the coolest album cover ever to feature a giant carrot.
RIP Storm Thorgerson 220px-Styx_-_Cyclorama

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I remember when that album first came out (in those dark days before widespread internet usage), people were saying that nude dude was Scott Ian. Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 am

RIP Storm Thorgerson 013_MR650

I have this on my wall. headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I remember when that album first came out (in those dark days before widespread internet usage), people were saying that nude dude was Scott Ian. Razz

Laughing very hard Never heard that, but I do remember there being a bit of a stink when the first Audioslave album came out (the cover of which was also designed by Storm), and people noticed its resemblance to Stomp 442.
RIP Storm Thorgerson 220px-Audioslave_-_Audioslave

Maybe Storm figured "Sh*t, that Anthrax record only sold about a dozen copies, nobody saw it...who's gonna know if I repeat myself?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:59 am

I also remember some website (The Onion maybe?) posting both of those covers together with the headline, "Nude Man Completes Scrap Metal Project, Finds His Clothes".

Razz

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I also remember some website (The Onion maybe?) posting both of those covers together with the headline, "Nude Man Completes Scrap Metal Project, Finds His Clothes".

Razz

Laughing very hard Yeah, that sounds like The Onion.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 am

Also the 'Slip, Stitch And Pass' cover in case more yarn is needed. lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Also the 'Slip, Stitch And Pass' cover in case more yarn is needed. lol!

RIP Storm Thorgerson 220px-Slip_Stitch_and_Pass_%28Phish_album%29

Laughing very hard So is it safe to say that Storm Thorgerson's album cover work had a lot of balls?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am

Quote :
So is it safe to say that Storm Thorgerson's album cover work had a lot of balls?

Ya know, now that you mentioned it...

RIP Storm Thorgerson Storm-Thorgerson-DiseƱador-5-290x290

RIP Storm Thorgerson Storm+thorgerson2

RIP Storm Thorgerson Thorgerson

RIP Storm Thorgerson Thumb

PostSubject: Re: RIP Storm Thorgerson   RIP Storm Thorgerson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Storm Thorgerson
Page 1 of 1