Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets

Go down 
+13
DevZor
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
SideShowDisaSter
Witchfinder
QuothTheRaven
manny
Addy
kethdredd
EmoElmo
Eyesore
SpectreFate
corplhicks
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Genre hopping wasn't the best term, you could say bad crossover tendencies. When Mutt came in to produce they started busting out the electronica, had some country tunes, and brought in bits of rap. The real problem with all of this was that it was just awful. They started out simple, but started evolving into a unholy mass. I could also say their lyrics are stupid as shit, but hey, I listen to old school Accept and Manowar.

Bottom line for bands like Nickleback and Shinedown is entirely subjective: I just don't like the music. I didn't like it before the hate began. So in effect I agree, there's no reason not to like Nickleback if you like that style of music. To thine own self be true.

As for Durst and crew, I don't see them as poseurs. In fact, didn't they start this whole rap-rock revolution? Yet their music is insipid. White-rap-rock bands tend to be "angry." But to me it sounds childish, best suited for high school ("Shut up when you're talking to me etc"). The real anger is in thrash and punk. That shit gets real.

The Kid Rock song sound pretty good. I may actually check some more of him out.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:53 pm

I was suprised too, for that kind of price I may actually check this tour package out if it swings thru my neck of the woods. Even if only for ZZ Top. Sounds like fun redneck sorta evening.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Kid Rock, Nickelback, and the like do a great job of giving their audience what they want. I'll give them respect for managing to sell to a fickle public. And in the case of Kid Rock it is amazing the different ways he has re-invented himself and done so in a manner that is genuine and connects to his fans. Say what you will, but that's a pretty impressive feat to accomplish. Even more so given today's musical climate.

Back before they "made it big" I was a big fan of those first three Goo Goo Dolls albums. Still love those records in fact. Their original fan base turned on them as soon as they started getting hits. I'll be the first to admit that their M.O. changed once they had to serve a different master, but good for them. It's better for an act to sell millions than lose their deal and fade away into the unknown in my view.

I've always wondered why more big name acts don't try the Fugazi method of finding a place to play and charging a cheap price to fill it. Seems like a good way to cut out all the middle men. Of course the problem with Kid Rock's plan is that if it starts to take hold you can bet the Ticketmaster/Live Nation/Arenas will all step in the preserve their cash cow. Didn't Pearl Jam try something like this years ago?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Not sure why people, especially rock/metal fans, have such a problem with Kid Rock. Dude has done far more good than nearly every washed up rocker/metal dudes we love.

I am not sure what good any musician has ever done, nor do I care, I only ask they create good music, that 's it. IMO I hate Kid Rock's music, I hate his image, but mainly I hate his music.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:24 pm

I just don't like Kid Rock...not saying he's not talented or he sucks or whatever...just not my thing.

I do like this $20 ticket idea though...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Who could of ever guessed that the guy responsible for this would become what he did. Warning: for those adverse to any sex raps.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:00 pm

jstate wrote:
I've always wondered why more big name acts don't try the Fugazi method of finding a place to play and charging a cheap price to fill it. Seems like a good way to cut out all the middle men. Of course the problem with Kid Rock's plan is that if it starts to take hold you can bet the Ticketmaster/Live Nation/Arenas will all step in the preserve their cash cow. Didn't Pearl Jam try something like this years ago?

They did, and lost horribly. The most basic version is that Ticketbasterd's lawyers are practically a militant battalion with lots of money, and Pearl Jam wasn't getting much backing from their label (of course; the two companies share the same bed). The difference now is that Rock is trying to work with promoters, agents, and ticket sales agencies to show that profit can be made at the expense of the artist's paycheck.

But there's a problem I'm starting to see here. Kid Rock is a big name, his ancillary checks must be huge, and royalties alone providing more than his basic needs (let's not forget most of these guys have investments, mostly real estate). More power to him, not complaining. However, lesser-known/emerging artists, or even worse aging artists with diminishing popularity, may not be able to take this cut. I wonder if the overseas markets would benefit the metal scene in this regard. Even if festivals were to keep a moderate door fee, floor revenue would be enough to keep the artists happy.

One last thing: either arena shows need to get filled up or stop altogether. I'm hearing a lot about how large venues here in America are struggling because of poor sales. When I saw Slipknot some years ago, they were at the height of their popularity yet the arena was 1/3 full. I was in the back row, and I didn't need to get any closer it was so sad (so was the mosh pit Laughing very hard ). Thrash bands like Overkill and Testament are doing themselves and their fans a service by playing clubs, bars, and theaters. Sound is better, tix are cheaper, energy is higher. If they were to lower prices for the arena venues, however, they may fill up more.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 am

That Born Free tune is a good one. Reminded me immensely of Bob Seger. Which isn't a bad thing.

I've enjoyed a lot of what he's has done, he is so darn talented I enjoy watching what he will do next...

And on topic, I hope ALL ht ebig arena acts cut there prices and to $20 a head, I think it would get more folks to show up. Besides we are in a recession aren't we not?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 am

I like Kid Rock's idea but I'd be surprised if anyone else followed suit. If bands can charge and arm & leg and still fill a venue, they will continue to do so. Only when the Stones don't sell out an arena in record time, charging what equates to a mortgage payment for some folks, will we see things change.

As far as Kid Rock goes, while I don't own any of his music (not really my thing), I've been fortunate enough to see him live twice and he put's on a helluva show. I saw him back when he was still doing the rap/rock thing and his shows were all about the "80's arena-rock spectacle". Not sure if he's toned that stuff down now that he's a poor-man's Bob Seger or whatever it is he's doing now.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

In some of the venues I do see the Stones are charging for cheap-o seats $85, which is not cheap, sadly these seats are located outside the venue and are out in the parking lot
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 pm

manny wrote:
In some of the venues I do see the Stones are charging for cheap-o seats $85, which is not cheap, sadly these seats are located outside the venue and are out in the parking lot

Tickets for the Philly shows range from $67 to $597. And notice I said "shows", plural. A 2nd night was added after the first sold-out almost immediately. So there are obviously folks out there that don't mind shelling out a thousand dollars for a night out with the wife. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets   Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kid Rock Selling $20 Concert Tickets
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2