Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anthrax - Anthems Review

Go down 
+2
journeyman
Witchfinder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Anthrax - Anthems Review Empty
PostSubject: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 pm

I review the new Anthrax EP here: http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/2013/03/anthems-to-mosher-at-dusk.html

Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Good review. I agree with your take on crawl. They nailed it on keep on running. What's interesting is their choice of songs. Why them and why not make them yours and why an album of covers. Can't wait to see them on tour. I've got tickets to the Dallas show.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 pm

journeyman wrote:
Good review. I agree with your take on crawl. They nailed it on keep on running. What's interesting is their choice of songs. Why them and why not make them yours and why an album of covers. Can't wait to see them on tour. I've got tickets to the Dallas show.

I am going to the Cincinnati show. It should be a good one. I saw them last year with Testament and Death Angel and they killed it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 am

I think they nailed it with the marketing ploy of six various covers. They could of did the booklet with all the covers and let the listener change cover art at their leisure. Like Guardian did with "Bottle Rocket", among others.

My take on the way they chose to cover the songs on here is that maybe most of the fans who wanna hear 70's cover songs in the first place, would rather have them sound the way they remember them than messed with.

Yeah they stuck to the arrangements, but the tone in the guitar gives it somewhat of an Anthrax identity. Not much, but enough.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Good review. Haven't picked this up. I just haven't felt it was something I had to have right now. As far their tour, I do have tickets to the Charlotte show. I'm looking forward to seeing the band live again.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 am

I aaaaaalmost picked it up, but only had twenty bucks and other albums to consider. Your review helped. I just don't see the point of shelling out six bucks for covers. I did hear Sabbath Bloody Sabbath--my all-time favorite Sabbath song--and THAT was awesome, and I am curious to hear Anthem, but with Rhapsody I should be able to bring it up soon.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 3:09 am

p.s. thought you might appreciate a small correction here:

"When it comes to cover songs, bands have a choice: make the song their own, or play it exactly as the original artist did. Anthrax chose the former rather than the latter and Anthems is a bit disappointing because of it. Almost all of the covers are exact, note-for-note reproductions of the originals with nary a variation."

I believe you meant to write "Anthrax chose the latter rather than the former." Just a heads up Wink
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

I bought the Anthems EP a week or so ago ...it's a fun listen (with the exception of the Rush cover - OY, Joey can NOT hit those Geddy Lee high notes!), but it's not really a must have...I particularly agree with what Witchfinder sez about putting the two versions of "Crawl" back to back at the end of the disc. That is pretty dumb.

...this reminds me, I've been draggin' my ass about writing a review of this for my HubPage. I started one but never finished it. I really have to finish bangin' that out and get it out there.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am

corplhicks wrote:
p.s. thought you might appreciate a small correction here:

"When it comes to cover songs, bands have a choice: make the song their own, or play it exactly as the original artist did. Anthrax chose the former rather than the latter and Anthems is a bit disappointing because of it. Almost all of the covers are exact, note-for-note reproductions of the originals with nary a variation."

I believe you meant to write "Anthrax chose the latter rather than the former." Just a heads up Wink

Ha! Thanks, corrected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Anthems Review   Anthrax - Anthems Review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anthrax - Anthems Review
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: The Hurting Words-
Jump to: