Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys

Go down 
+15
jstate
exact33
bgast1
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
onrypt
Hadley
manny
thejokeriv
stepcousin
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
tohostudios
80s Metal Lady
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 am

I never really took the Grammy Awards very seriously anyway, but have ignored them entirely since the Metallica/Tull debacle. It's been well documented that even the Tull members themselves agreed that they had no business being nominated in the "hard rock/metal" category in the first place.

If memory serves, when Metallica finally did win a Grammy a year or two later, in their acceptance speech Lars Ulrich thanked Jethro Tull "for not releasing an album this year." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 am

I don't follow the Grammy's at all (couldn't care less,really) but do they even still have a hard rock/metal category ?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 am

007 wrote:
I don't follow the Grammy's at all (couldn't care less,really) but do they even still have a hard rock/metal category ?

Yup. Megadeth was nominated this year for a song off of Th1rt3en, but they lost to Halestorm. Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 19976

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:25 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
007 wrote:

Yup. Megadeth was nominated this year for a song off of Th1rt3en, but they lost to Halestorm. Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 19976

Never heard of Halestorm but I just gave them a quick listen to. No too bad , I guess (when I saw the female vocalist I was expecting something along the lines of Evanescence), but I'll stick with Megadeth.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
The strange thing is though, although they have never been hard rock or metal, I don't know many hard rock/metal fans (of a certain age) who don't like them.

They just won the award for not being Metallica that night and didn't deserve the flak that they got for it.
That's an interesting point. I can't remember the last time Tull came up in a music conversation I was having and the other person said "Ugh! Can't stand them." I'm sure such people are out there but Tull sure seems to be a common bond between hard rock/metal fans.

For instance, Jethro Tull is practically the only band SD and I have in common. Razz

Me. I don't like Jethro Tull. I don't like flutes. I don't like folk music. I don't like them on a plane, I don't like them on a train. I don't like Jethro Tull, Samiam.

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm and old guy, Jethro Tull was one of my favorite bands ever.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

For instance, Jethro Tull is practically the only band SD and I have in common. Razz

Steely Dan also.

Oh yeah, I forgot The Dan. Laughing
But I'm late to the party on Steely Dan; hated them as I was growing up. I only appreciated them as I got older.

But I've always dug Tull.

I am a latecomer to Tull but i love em. Great great music!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Steely Dan also.

But I'm late to the party on Steely Dan; hated them as I was growing up. I only appreciated them as I got older.

Take that Monkey Man! Razz

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Steely Dan also.

Take that Monkey Man! Razz

whatever Dr. Bogenbroom

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Sorry King, apparently you missed this post:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
The strange thing is though, although they have never been hard rock or metal, I don't know many hard rock/metal fans (of a certain age) who don't like them.

They just won the award for not being Metallica that night and didn't deserve the flak that they got for it.
That's an interesting point. I can't remember the last time Tull came up in a music conversation I was having and the other person said "Ugh! Can't stand them." I'm sure such people are out there but Tull sure seems to be a common bond between hard rock/metal fans.

Me. I don't like Jethro Tull. I don't like flutes. I don't like folk music. I don't like them on a plane, I don't like them on a train. I don't like Jethro Tull, Samiam.
That's the "Monkey Man" to which I was referring.
I guess that's what I get for using The King as a "role model" for others. Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 am

I got no love for Steely Dan neither. Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 19976

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 am

If I'm not mistaken that was the first year for the metal/Hard Rock category so it got a lot of hype. To the point it was presented as Metallica getting the nomination just so they could usher in this new Grammy category with a Metallica win. It was like they pulled the rug out from what the fans expected. In my circle of metal fans it wasn't Jethro Tull's music (I really have grown to love that album) being the problem it was more the perception that they were a "seventies band" and wasn't this new category acknowledgement supposed to be an attempt to get with the times.

I will say I think it served Metallica better in the end to get the snub.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 am

jstate wrote:
If I'm not mistaken that was the first year for the metal/Hard Rock category so it got a lot of hype. To the point it was presented as Metallica getting the nomination just so they could usher in this new Grammy category with a Metallica win. It was like they pulled the rug out from what the fans expected. In my circle of metal fans it wasn't Jethro Tull's music (I really have grown to love that album) being the problem it was more the perception that they were a "seventies band" and wasn't this new category acknowledgement supposed to be an attempt to get with the times.

except Lars cried for a week...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 am

Quote :

They got more mileage in the press out of losing the Grammy than they would've if they'd won it.

I used to have an issue of RIP or some other metal mag that had a huge photo in it of the crowd at a Metallica concert, a couple of guys were holding up a huge bedsheet sign that said "F**k the Grammies. Who the f**k is JETHRO TULL?" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

They got more mileage in the press out of losing the Grammy than they would've if they'd won it.

I used to have an issue of RIP or some other metal mag that had a huge photo in it of the crowd at a Metallica concert, a couple of guys were holding up a huge bedsheet sign that said "F**k the Grammies. Who the f**k is JETHRO TULL?" Laughing very hard

Speaking of gaining mileage out of the Grammy snub.....This took place shortly after the Grammy's during Metallica's performance of "One" in Hartford, CT on 3-17-89. This was the first video bootleg I ever owned of the band. James tongue-in-cheek comment after the song regarding Tull is pretty funny.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 am

Always better for the street cred to be considered the rebellious outsider who the system won't acknowledge. It seemed cooler to me that they didn't win. It was like a rallying cry for Metallica.

I will say this, the Grammy Museum in LA has had some great sounding exhibits. I've never been but I've often been tempted. Plus I believe they pump a lot of funding into music education. So awards aside I've got no issue with the Grammies.

BTW the Halestorm singer at one time was taking vocal lessons (and probably whatever else he was teaching) from Steve Whiteman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 6:35 pm

I got up this morning and was listening to Jethro Tull's Stormwatch album and this particular Grammy telecast jumped back in my head again.  

I started thinking about how my listening habits have changed over the years since 1989.  I, like many other metal fans, was super pissed when Metallica didn't get that Grammy.  Granted, I already owned a couple Jethro Tull albums by that point and I liked them well enough, but I didn't really consider myself a fan at that juncture.  But over the next couple years I started exploring the Tull discography and became an utter fanatic...which continues to deepen until this very day.  

In 2009 I started using LastFM to scrobble my music listening, so I decided to take a look how Jethro Tull and Metallica have lasted in my listening 26 years after that infamous Grammy broadcast.

Here are the results:

Jethro Tull - 1394 plays

Metallica - 16 plays

Kind of humorous seeing how different this plays out now.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 10:53 am

My stance on Tull hasn't changed. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 1:12 pm

When they won the Grammy, I was just getting into them and buying their back catalog. Probably 80% of what I listened to then was Tull. I still listen to them a lot: mainly their '80s stuff like "A" and "Under Wraps" and Anderson's solo album "Walk Into Light." Top 5 band of all time in my little world.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 12:45 am

Tull has been an incredibly steep climb for me. But the rewards have been enormous. IMO they just happen to be one of the more inaccessible bands out there. That's not a complaint but an acknowledgment. Yes was the same way when I was a kid, and now they're in my top ten.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Eh , Tull is ok. But not Grammy worthy imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 9:51 pm

More than Grammy worthy (which they deserved numerous times throughout the 70s) but they should also have been in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame years ago.

A band that unique, those are the kinds that really deserve recognition. Ian Anderson I believe is one of the best songwriters from the entire decade of the 70s...and that decade has more great songwriters than any other.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 9:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
More than Grammy worthy (which they deserved numerous times throughout the 70s) but they should also have been in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame years ago.  

A band that unique, those are the kinds that really deserve recognition.  Ian Anderson I believe is one of the best songwriters from the entire decade of the 70s...and that decade has more great songwriters than any other.  

All this is true Cool
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Tull has been an incredibly steep climb for me. But the rewards have been enormous. IMO they just happen to be one of the more inaccessible bands out there. That's not a complaint but an acknowledgment. Yes was the same way when I was a kid, and now they're in my top ten.

I get where Mr. Hicks is coming from.

I love Jethro Tull but I have to admit, nearly every album requires multiple listens until I finally "get it".  But once I do "get it" that album inevitably joins the pantheon of "albums I dig out when I'm in a rut" because Tull's music is just so different and timeless that when I get the musical "blahs", Tull always relieves them.  

Tull albums (or Ian Anderson solo albums for that matter) are not "instant hitters"; you generally don't start singing along right away on first listen.  But the upside of that is that Tull albums have much longer staying power than the "flavor of the day" albums.  I can dig out Tull albums that are decades old and they still sound like music that could have been recorded yesterday.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 10:18 pm

tohostudios wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I get where Mr. Hicks is coming from.

I love Jethro Tull but I have to admit, nearly every album requires multiple listens until I finally "get it".  But once I do "get it" that album inevitably joins the pantheon of "albums I dig out when I'm in a rut" because Tull's music is just so different and timeless that when I get the musical "blahs", Tull always relieves them.  

Tull albums (or Ian Anderson solo albums for that matter) are not "instant hitters"; you generally don't start singing along right away on first listen.  But the upside of that is that Tull albums have much longer staying power than the "flavor of the day" albums.  I can dig out Tull albums that are decades old and they still sound like music that could have been recorded yesterday.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Toho. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys   Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jethro Tull, Metal, and The Grammys
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next