Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Metal Cruises": For or Against???

Go down 
+11
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
nevermore
James B.
MetalGuy71
Addy
thejokeriv
exact33
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
steelerbrian
15 posters
AuthorMessage
steelerbrian
Metal novice
Metal novice
steelerbrian

Number of posts : 30

"Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Empty
PostSubject: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 am

If you've attended a "Metal Cruise" (70k, Barge TO Hell, etc..) and have a solid opinion one way or another, tell us about it. Or if you are planning to attend one or maybe aren't sure yet, what are the factors going into your decision? I think it's probably a bloated, watered down, waste of time and money ( http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/2012/11/metal-cruises-wacken-franchise.html?zx=e5014e029c57648a ). No doubt my opinion will be trampled here, as these cruise seem to be proliferating. Please vent... and Happy Holidays!!!
Back to top Go down
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 am

headbanger Hilarious blog rant! Nice work.

As for me, in theory I think these "metal cruises" are a neat idea, but I know I'll never be able to afford to go on one, so the point is kinda moot.

Though as you mentioned in your rant, being surrounded by hundreds of metal "scene" dunderheads (on a ship at sea where you can't escape them!) is a pretty scary thought, now that I think about it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
steelerbrian
Metal novice
Metal novice
steelerbrian

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:41 am

Exactly Fat Freddy! Out of curiousity of the phenomenon I've viewed a bunch of youtube clips (there are ALOT of them) from these cruises, and it just doesn't seem "metal" to me somehow? When you strip away the intensity, and pump up the dopiness you get a watered down, perverted result that I find distasteful. But that said, I wouldn't fault anyone for attending one and loving it. I just can't imagine that I'm the only one that figures these things are a little hokey to say the least.
(oh, and thanks for the thumbs up regarding my blog post!)
Back to top Go down
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Though as you mentioned in your rant, being surrounded by hundreds of metal "scene" dunderheads (on a ship at sea where you can't escape them!) is a pretty scary thought, now that I think about it.

It's bad enough dealing with these morons at club shows, being stuck with them on a ship at sea sounds like torture.

When I saw the lineup of some of these cruises, mostly filled with bands that ceased to matter around 1987 or so, it made me kind of wish the ship would sink. Razz

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 3:21 pm

My friend wanted to go on the 311 cruise the first year they did it. I began listening to 311 in 1994 when they were on tour for their Grassroots album. One of my bands opened for them. I was a teenager, you know. My friend became a fan when they became super-popular on their next album.

Anyway, aside from when I was a way in the military, we've pretty much gone to see them every time they've come around, right. It's our little annual ritual. So she really wanted to go on this cruise. The prospect, to me, was a nightmare. Haha.

311 has done well for themselves; their fan base seems to grow every year, you know, and a lot of those fans, at least those that go to their shows, are young. And wicked annoying. My friend and I are pushing 40! How horrible would it be to go one a cruise with thousands of teenagers and early-20s morons?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm

I like the line-ups but being trapped on a boat with metal fans for a week doesnt seem like my idea of a good time.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd actually like to do one in the future, but depends on the line up. I know some people that have done one of those cruises before and they loved it. My issue is the size of the rooms that available - they are tiny, I'd want a balcony suite and those are really expensive, if they are even available - need a place to chill if I get pissed off at the crowds.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:33 am

No ports at all on the cruise?

I wouldnt mind being stuck on a ship with my favorite bands
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 am

Addy wrote:
No ports at all on the cruise?

I wouldnt mind being stuck on a ship with my favorite bands

They stop at ports just like any cruise - no bands play during ports of call.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 am

I was at a record show this weekend. All kinds of smelly weirdos. I couldn't imagine being trapped on a ship with these people.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 am

I'd rather do a "metal cruise" to Alaska than close to the equator.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was at a record show this weekend. All kinds of smelly weirdos. I couldn't imagine being trapped on a ship with these people.

Throw 'em overboard with a bar of soap.

I wouldn't mind going on one if I loved the line-up and had the cash to do it. It would definitely be a different concert experience than your normal shows. Plus I'm sure that you could wonder around the ship or go relax in your room if the crowd annoys you or the band sucks.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

I'll tell ya in Late March after seeing about a dozen of my fav bands of all time on the http://monstersofrockcruise.com/the-artists/ .
But I will tell ya ahead of time - I am going with great bros and "I intend on only referring to my cell-cam to tell me what happened over those four days. Also relying on those same bros from keeping me on board and out of custody. Got the V.I.P.s, so this might be the end of Uncle Sax - BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Oh - And you will all be glad to know that I am taking King Wanker with me - into the drink or into an island cell.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Metal cruise sounds like a great idea. I like cruises, I like metal. I'd love to go.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
As for me, in theory I think these "metal cruises" are a neat idea, but I know I'll never be able to afford to go on one, so the point is kinda moot.

That sums it up for me as well.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm too much of a land-lover to ever go on any cruise, metal or otherwise. Plus everyone I've ever known who took a cruise mentioned how crazy all the hidden costs are.

I wouldn't mind seeing these line-ups perform dockside or something. Just not out to sea for me.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Always wanted to go on a cruise. Throw in some metal bands, and that makes for a pretty cool idea. Now being able to afford it is another story....
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Well for me I am going on the 70,000 Tons cruise this year. There are a few great bands on it and some real shitty ones too. However, I think they are a good idea and am actually really excited to do this. Not only is it a great vacation but hanging with some good friends will be well worth it! I think they are a great idea though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Well for me I am going on the 70,000 Tons cruise this year. There are a few great bands on it and some real shitty ones too. However, I think they are a good idea and am actually really excited to do this. Not only is it a great vacation but hanging with some good friends will be well worth it! I think they are a great idea though.

You will have to give a report afterwards!!!!!! I am sure I will do one of them when Maiden retires.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Metal Cruises": For or Against???   "Metal Cruises": For or Against??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Metal Cruises": For or Against???
Page 1 of 1