Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Zodiac

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
MoonChild
Eyesore
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 5:19 am

I could stick this in the retro thread, but these guys deserve a thread of their own.

Newbury Comics had a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale the other day. New, used, sale items. Pretty sweet deal. So I snagged an overpriced Frontiers Records album for $17.99, then two blind buys—Golden Void's self-titled debut and Zodiac's A Bit Of Devil.

Golden Void is really good. Zodiac is effing brilliant! If you dig bluesy, retro rock, check these guys out.

The lead work in "Blue Jean Blues" is so damn good! There's another 10-minute track on the album called "Coming Home" which is similar, just this huge, soulful, blues track. Fantastic stuff!

They also have a vinyl-only EP that came out last year. A bit pricey as an import, but you can download the songs from Amazon for 99 cents a pop. They're attached as digital bonus tracks to A Bit Of Devil. Well worth it!

Anyway, some of you should really dig these cats.

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Never heard of this band before, but I have to say I like what I hear headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Sounds good to me. On the want-list it goes! The lead singer sounds like someone familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Someone old-school, like Dr. John or something.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Great stuff. Captain Crimson, Admiral Sir Cloudsley Shovel, Gypsyhawk all great bands.

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Wargod wrote:
Great stuff. Captain Crimson, Admiral Sir Cloudsley Shovel, Gypsyhawk all great bands.

Metalwargod
Agreed. Although I haven't heard Captain Crimson. But I will in a minute!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I liked the first track but the second one was too long and bluesy for me; not a big blues fan.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I liked the first track but the second one was too long and bluesy for me; not a big blues fan.
The bulk of the album is like the first track.
Back to top Go down

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 11:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:

The second song is a ZZ Top cover (original version on Fandango!)

Although this version of the song borrows just as much from Zep's "Since I've Been Loving You" as it does the ZZ Top tune.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 11:49 pm

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

The second song is a ZZ Top cover (original version on Fandango!)

Although this version of the song borrows just as much from Zep's "Since I've Been Loving You" as it does the ZZ Top tune.
You know, I thought it sound familiar when I first heard it, but I quickly forgot about it once it really kicked in. But I should have known this since I'm a big ZZ fan. Kind of annoys me. Guess I'm getting old. Haha.

They definitely put their own spin on it, though, especially with the extended midsection.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 pm

This Zodiac album is killer. Yes, it's has a 70's retro vibe to it, but I also like that the guitar player (and vocalist) is allowed to spread his wings on the solos without feeling over-indulgent. He's got a nice style and groove minus the over-the-top wankery. It flows naturally with the music and doesn't make it all about him and his solos.

Aside from the cover tune, they remind me a bit of ZZ Top. Maybe not musically, but something in their style of playing. Yea, the guitarist is good, but he's not showing off. Like Billy Gibbons.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:01 pm

me likes it

thanks

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Yeah, it's a great album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, it's a great album.

I can't stop listening to it. It's been spinning in work since I got it. Must've played it through 10 times already.

Another nice thing about it is that it doesn't drag on too long like plenty albums tend to these days. Doesn't seem like it anyway. Before I know it, it's over. The band did a nice job of leaving the listener wanting more. Had I picked this up a few weeks sooner, it would have made my Top 10 for 2012 for sure.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Check your PMs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:30 pm

These guys have a new one coming out...

Zodiac 81JG1CLzLwL._SL1500_

Amazon says October 29th for the US. Your country of choice may vary. They released a video for the first single, but I can't find it on a US available YouTube channel yet.

Their first album is still a frequent spinner for me. As far as retro-rock bands go, these guys have seemed to rise to the top in my opinion. Whereas some other bands of the genre (Scorpion Child, Monster Truck) fell to the wayside after the new-ness wore off, this album sounds just as good today as it did 9 months ago.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 pm

I checked these guys out on youtube a little while back. Good stuff!! And if anyone is going they're the openers on the upcoming Monster Magnet tour.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Their new album is out and if you liked their debut, you'll find lots to like here on this new one too. It's slighty more mellow and bluesier than their first, but equally good. They lay down a sweet groove and the songs really stick. Again, I'm reminded of ZZ Top with Dr. John on vocals. One listen and I had melodies floating around in my head the rest of the day.

Like their debut, they don't drag on for too long. 9 songs that get in and get out in roughly 40 minutes and leaving you wanting more. Also like the debut, they've included a cover. Neil Young's 'Cortez the Killer'. I'm not familiar with the orginal, so I can't say how it compares, but it's a cool song nonetheless.

If you dig on the retro rock movement or just some good old-fashioned bluesy rock, go get these albums. Stat!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 11:47 am

Bump for new album info. Just under a year since their last release and *BOOM*!! Another album!!

Zodiac 81g5VMIDRAL._SL1500_

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHS5FZ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1YY4NLP7T11YP&coliid=I1KDFBKW8FS9VT

It was streaming on Soundcloud a week or 2 ago, but I can't find it now. If you liked their last 2, this should float your boat as well. It will be mine. Should be yours too.

Zodiac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zodiac   Zodiac Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zodiac
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: