Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The RUSH discography

Go down 
+13
Sutekh
stepcousin
mr.electric39
ShadowAngel
jstate
Wurthless
chewie
Dark Horseman
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
manny
James B.
jettafiend
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

The RUSH discography - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Well, props for trying new stuff. Never a band to rest on their past success.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Like I've said many times, I would prefer a band do what they want and try new things (even if I don't particularly like the direction) than just keep recording the same exact album over and over. Rush has gone through many changes of direction throughout their 40 year career, some albums I like more than others, but if you look at their discography as a whole it's quite the interesting and personal trajectory they've gone on. Even the lesser albums add elements to the journey that wouldn't be the same if they didn't exist.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
Like I've said many times, I would prefer a band do what they want and try new things (even if I don't particularly like the direction) than just keep recording the same exact album over and over. Rush has gone through many changes of direction throughout their 40 year career, some albums I like more than others, but if you look at their discography as a whole it's quite the interesting and personal trajectory they've gone on. Even the lesser albums add elements to the journey that wouldn't be the same if they didn't exist.

I wholeheartedly agree and I know that sometime (more sooner than later) my old dinosaur butt will go back and listen to those Rush albums either dismissed at first/second listen or totaly ignored.

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Well, I really like Power Windows. I do understand so many not liking the direction/sound with a deep catalog and long standing fan base. I can appreciate it, even if I don't agree. I think Getty is outstanding on this album. He really burns and shows a passion and emotion that propels each song into a story. Not a bad track on the album, but I don't think I'd ever get sick of Mystic Rhythms. Even with all of the 1's and 0's I think the band did exactly what they wanted and believed in it completely. I think it shows. I pulled it out today and listened with a critical ear and yes, I did hear some things I never noticed. Funny, how some things go un-noticed until they are pointed out. I don't think the band was chasing trends on this one. It may seem like perfect timing, but I'm convinced they did it their way. Everyone goes through changes and nothing ever stays the same. The band has pulled back a little from this release in recent times, but really hindsight is 20/20. I give this album a 10 out of 10 because it pulls me in and paints a picture with strong and vibrant imagery just like much of Rush's best work does.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 pm

journeyman wrote:
Well, I really like Power Windows. I do understand so many not liking the direction/sound with a deep catalog and long standing fan base. I can appreciate it, even if I don't agree. I think Getty is outstanding on this album. He really burns and shows a passion and emotion that propels each song into a story. Not a bad track on the album, but I don't think I'd ever get sick of Mystic Rhythms. Even with all of the 1's and 0's I think the band did exactly what they wanted and believed in it completely. I think it shows. I pulled it out today and listened with a critical ear and yes, I did hear some things I never noticed. Funny, how some things go un-noticed until they are pointed out. I don't think the band was chasing trends on this one. It may seem like perfect timing, but I'm convinced they did it their way. Everyone goes through changes and nothing ever stays the same. The band has pulled back a little from this release in recent times, but really hindsight is 20/20. I give this album a 10 out of 10 because it pulls me in and paints a picture with strong and vibrant imagery just like much of Rush's best work does.

Excellent post.

My critique of the album is more in regards to the production than the actual material itself.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

This is one of my least listened to Rush albums. I like almost the whole thing, but the production kills it for me... Mystic Rhythms and Middletown Dreams still kick ass despite it, though.

My favorite period of Rush is from Permanent Waves to Grace Under Pressure, and this one falls just outside the boundary of that era obviously. The quality began slipping majorly after here, but I still enjoy this one while it's playing.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9873

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:48 am

I played fly by night on my way home last night.

What an awesome classic platter headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   The RUSH discography - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The RUSH discography
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6