Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elvenking-Era

Go down 
+5
kmorg
ZombieHavoc
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
DallasBlack
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:34 pm

I only have one Elvenking album but I quite like it. Saw this while browsing Amazon:

Elvenking-Era Elvenking+-+Era+(Front+Cover)+by+Eneas

Listened to some samples and it's safe to say I'm getting this. Espcially this track featuring the Mountain King, Jon Oliva!:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:21 am

I have several Elvenking albums and while I like the pagan/Celtic stylings I generally find their music to contain too much growling for my tastes.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

The last one was so outstanding that this is like a blind buy. I was converted with that one. Toho, I definitely thought you would like 'Red Silent Tides' since only one single song has a small bit of growling, and the record is such a great mashup of everything they've done before, but more mature.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

I liked The Winter Wake.

When I first heard about Elvenking, I was in a heavy power metal phase. Early 2000s. However, I could not hardly find a note from these guys. This was when I was basically only buying stuff locally. Though even the imports that popped up on Amazon were just too expensive.

The me then would buy up everything they have listed on Amazon. The me now thinks they are fun, but I am just not into power metal the way I was 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm just so burned out on this style, but damn it, Jon is on it!!!! angry

This song was actually quite good!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
The last one was so outstanding that this is like a blind buy. I was converted with that one. Toho, I definitely thought you would like 'Red Silent Tides' since only one single song has a small bit of growling, and the record is such a great mashup of everything they've done before, but more mature.

I bailed on them before that one. Guess I need to give that one a spin.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:42 pm

There's also:

Elvenking-Era Two_Tragedy_Poets_cover

Contains mostly acoustic tracks and absolutly NO growls.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:56 pm

I REALLY liked Red Silent Tides so I'll definitely be getting this.....
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I have several Elvenking albums and while I like the pagan/Celtic stylings I generally find their music to contain too much growling for my tastes.

I think only one album has some growling on it and most of those are done by guest musicians. I got all the albums, but I could be wrong.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 pm

I can handle this in the right mood....that tune was catchy

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:17 am

So.............................................

I scope out 'bout 7 releases by these guys. Question, if a guy was to pick two for starters, which two ?

Thanks and laterz all

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 am

'Red Silent Tides' and probably the more 'unplugged' one mentioned above..I'm probably the only one, but I'm not incredibly taken with 'Heathenreel'...... Trust me at least on the former one.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:36 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
'Red Silent Tides' and probably the more 'unplugged' one mentioned above..I'm probably the only one, but I'm not incredibly taken with 'Heathenreel'...... Trust me at least on the former one.

glad you chimed in...I'm a total greenhorn regardin' powermetal as a whole, much less this particular flavor. The folk aspects give it enough interest to open the wallet up.

So "Red Silent Tide" and "Era" are your intellectual and informative choices then ?

Thanks and laterz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:47 am

I think most folk-power is garbage...... Not that I think either on it's own is garbage, it's not.... just a lot of the Korpiklaani and other type clones, it's just... I can't do it. I think most of it is just terrible. The thing about Elvenking's best material is it never comes off as trying to be that exact thing, and the songwriting is just plain strong. As I mentioned before 'Red Silent Tides' kind of borrows from everything they've done and it sounds really, really balanced. There's some power metal, some folk, some AOR, some classic metal. I love almost every song on that and I hardly even cared for most of their stuff before. I also really like the songs I've heard from 'Two Tragedy Poets (...And A Caravan of Weird Figures)', that one is the one which is mostly the folk stuff, nothing heavy, but it works really well. So I would say those, and yeah 'Era' if it's anything like the last one.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think most folk-power is garbage...... Not that I think either on it's own is garbage, it's not.... just a lot of the Korpiklaani and other type clones, it's just... I can't do it. I think most of it is just terrible. The thing about Elvenking's best material is it never comes off as trying to be that exact thing, and the songwriting is just plain strong. As I mentioned before 'Red Silent Tides' kind of borrows from everything they've done and it sounds really, really balanced. There's some power metal, some folk, some AOR, some classic metal. I love almost every song on that and I hardly even cared for most of their stuff before. I also really like the songs I've heard from 'Two Tragedy Poets (...And A Caravan of Weird Figures)', that one is the one which is mostly the folk stuff, nothing heavy, but it works really well. So I would say those, and yeah 'Era' if it's anything like the last one.

right on

thanks again, laterz

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I love this band, and I've checked this one out. It sounds great to me. Will get it.

I consider Winter Wake and Wyrd to be masterpieces. Love their style and sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elvenking-Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvenking-Era   Elvenking-Era Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elvenking-Era
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: