Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your First Progressive Metal Album?

Go down 
+20
Citanul
Dark Horseman
mc666
exact33
thejokeriv
bassman
manny
brokentulsa
Wurthless
kmorg
nevermore
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Gryphon-kl
Lari
stepcousin
Leatherface
Olafsto
jettafiend
DallasBlack
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Heh, I don't really put QR in the prog metal catagory though they had some likeness to it. I'd say DT was the first true Prog metal band.

I remember Rush being labeled metal, back when the label was more generic. Moving Pictures was in the metal section back in the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 1:10 am

Wurthless wrote:

Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 XblF4

i'm eagerly waiting for the outcome of this argument.

You're going to be disappointed, I'm just going to bow out. I should never have posted in this thread to begin with, these genre discussions annoy me to the point of wanting to smash my computer monitor.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 3:31 am

I don't know if everyone will agree, but I've always regarded Extreme's III Sides to Every Story as a prog album. So that would have been my first prog-metal album.

If not that then it's either Queensryche's Promised Land or Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons, but I can't remember which one came first as I got them at about the same time.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:07 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Heh, I don't really put QR in the prog metal catagory though they had some likeness to it. I'd say Fates Warning was the first true Prog metal band.
Fixed Razz

The first was Queensryche "Art of Live". Me and my dad bought it thinking it would be good place to start listening the band that was held in such high regard (if I only knew full story then...). We both were not impressed by it. Then I downloaded "RfO" and "O:M" to give them another chance, and still wasn't blown away. And then I tried "Night on Broken" because the name of the band sounded cool, - nice traditional metal, so the next album of FW I got was "Parallels". After repeated listens I found my favorite band. And only then I finally got into Ryche and the other prog albums I had at that time ("Gutter Ballet", "Programmed', "Crimson Glory" and some others). Sill hate Dream Theater.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 pm

I figure that this is all just for fun anyway........

Queensryche - Rage For Order (bought that when it came out.... was actually my first QR album.)
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Rush, ELP, King Crimson!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:27 pm

chewie wrote:
I figure that this is all just for fun anyway........

Pretty much Very Happy . Prog metal seems to have some prescence in almost everyones' collections (even those who as a rule dispise the genre) and I thought it'd be nice to see where everyone's start was.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:54 pm

I'd have to say Operation:Mindcrime for me. First 'concept' album for me too.

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

My first concept album was "The Wall" if memory serves.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

same here. I still remembering listening to Eyes of a Stranger on college radio and running out to buy the cassette.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your First Progressive Metal Album?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2