Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amon Amarth

Go down 
+7
metalhead777
rawr!
The_Jayroh
Andy
QuothTheRaven
mc666
Jesusandmetal23
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Any fans of these guys on here? I bought "With Oden On Our Side" a month or so ago and I've been hooked ever since.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 pm

decent enough melodeath.

QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 pm

I have "Fate of Norns" and I like it well enough. I have to be in the right mood for it, though. Mostly when raping and pillaging on the weekends! Amon Amarth 395375
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Once Sent from the Golden Hall is a killer album. Very consistent viking/melodic death metal. Their newest album, Surtur Rising, is incredible. Absolutely brilliant live band.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 pm

I have yet to really get into this band. I loved the album with "Death in Fire" and also "With Oden on Our Side" but that's all I've really known by them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 am

The_Jayroh wrote:
I have yet to really get into this band. I loved the album with "Death in Fire" and also "With Oden on Our Side" but that's all I've really known by them.
aside from their really early material, if you like any of it, you like all of it, probably. and i dont mean "it sounds relatively similar, so theres a good chance youll find something to relate to," i mean "its almost pretty much the same damn thing, at varying qualities." some albums are better than others, and people have their favorites, but its all pretty much just the same characteristic passable viking obsessed melodeath. their live performances are also passable. theres stuff to appreciate when you dig that sort of thing, and since youve said you do, i think its worth sinking your teeth into more. if youre looking to expand your listening in the future, i recommend starting with their first full length, once sent from the golden hall, and working your way through the next 2 chronologically after that if theres even more listening to be done. things start strong and get less and less solid and then they have a midcareer renewal that breathes a little bit of life into them. i dont know why i wrote so much about them, though, i never listen to them...ive just heard all their albums at one point.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm pretty mixed

They have a ton of catchy songs on "With Oden On Our Side" and "Twilight of The Thunder God" that are top notch, some of my favorite melodic death metal songs.
But if a song from them isn't catchy, it comes off as pretty generic melo-death.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 pm

they're too generic, I owned their 1st CD and their music never tickled my interest to grab for more of their catalogues
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 am

These guys are the melodeath version of AC/DC or Hammerfall. That's not necessarily a bad thing. By that I mean when there's a new album coming out, you absolutely know what you are going to get. They've found a formula that works for them and they do it very well. It works more often than it doesn't; every album has moments of brilliance and moments of "meh." They don't move too far from their comfort zone or do anything too experimental. If you like mleodic death metal with a Viking flavor, then this is one of the best bands out there. If you don't, then you won't like much of their catalog because that's all they do.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 pm

I've always liked these guys. Not a favorite, but I do like them.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Don't mind them at all but they never really go 'THERE' for me....
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Amon Amarth is absolutely my favorite melodic death metal band. They don't have a bad album.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 5:09 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
they're too generic, I owned their 1st CD and their music never tickled my interest to grab for more of their catalogues

Their first CD is very different from their recent output. You should give them another try.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

Their first CD is very different from their recent output. You should give them another try.

Probably i got turned off by those massive YouTube hits, much like Dragonforce did
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amon Amarth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth   Amon Amarth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amon Amarth
Page 1 of 1