Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riki Rachtman

Go down 
+16
MetalGuy71
stormspell
mc666
Shiney
DallasBlack
jstate
Leatherface
Troublezone
speed101
assault_attack
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
Witchfinder
fingers
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is Riki Rachtman a top bloke or a Tool?
Tool
Riki Rachtman Vote_lcap57%Riki Rachtman Vote_rcap
 57% [ 12 ]
Top bloke
Riki Rachtman Vote_lcap43%Riki Rachtman Vote_rcap
 43% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 pm

I would be interested what you guys thought of Riki Rachtman especially those of you who watched Headbangersball back in the early 90s don't know know much about him but accroding to the hype he seems to be responsible for screwing up Headbangers ball on MTV.
I heard he also had a feud with Dave Mustaine for some reason. So is he a top bloke or a f$#kwit?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Riki did not screw up Headbangers Ball as he had ZERO say in programming. He was merely the host. At least he loved Hard Rock/Metal and was from the scene unlike Adam Curry who knew NOTHING about metal at all.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Riki did not screw up Headbangers Ball as he had ZERO say in programming. He was merely the host. At least he loved Hard Rock/Metal and was from the scene unlike Adam Curry who knew NOTHING about metal at all.

fair enough I'm not making fun of the guy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 pm

He was the west coast version of Eddie Trunk........
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Quote :

Laughing very hard

That dude was a dingus.

I never thought I'd miss Adam Curry (the know-nothing hair farmer who'd previously hosted Headbanger's Ball) till Riki Rachtman got the gig.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Laughing very hard

That dude was a dingus.

I never thought I'd miss Adam Curry (the know-nothing hair farmer who'd previously hosted Headbanger's Ball) till Riki Rachtman got the gig.

To this day, I still don't know how I felt about Mr. Rachtman. I will say this, Mustaine used to go after the guy hard. Riki would sing Mustaine/Megadeth's praises, but Mustaine seemed to have utter contempt for the guy. I know Mustaine was apologizing to Riki on more than one occasion. I guess we'll blame the drug use on that one. This is one whole rip fest on Riki...It's hilarious.

Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Adam Curry = Poseur

My only problem with Rikki was he was so into the Faster Pu$$ycat type bands he was clueless about other types of Metal. At times he really pissed me off with his narrow minded view of rock at the time.

But he was true to his genre of bands and way more believable then Curry.

He for a short time was a dj in san jose & left because we did not have enough strip clubs, lol.

Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:42 am

I prefer Adam Curry hosting even if he knew nothing about the music.Rikki hosted during the time music started sucking except 1990-91.Didnt like him anyway really.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:44 am

He was the face of Headbangers Ball for so long, I just got used to him.

He would "brown nose" certain bands, and the ones he didn't care about would get the boredom treatment.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:58 am

He was a complete moron.

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 am

I thought he was good. Perfect? No, but I thought was just more down-to-earth kind of guy. I liked Adam Curry as well, just totally different styles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 am

I was just reading I Want My MTV and they had a chapter on Headbanger's Ball. Apparently Rachtman got the job because Axl Rose pushed for him.

Quote :
Rachtman: So Axl said "Do you want to be a VJ on MTV? I'll make a call". I walked Into my audition with Axl.

Adam Curry is still apparently really really bitter about all that. And at least in the book Curry comes off as a bigger tool than anyone.

As for the Mustaine stuff, Dave claims Riki would encourage him to do it. Rachtman claims it was all an act and that they did become friends.

I thought Rachtman was a tool but the right kind of tool who knows thats what he is. So he never really bothered me that much. I felt there were far more annoying people on MTV at the time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Quote :
My only problem with Rikki was he was so into the Faster Pu$$ycat type bands he was clueless about other types of Metal. At times he really pissed me off with his narrow minded view of rock at the time.

I have a magazine somewhere w/an interview with Bobby Blitz (Overkill) in it, where he sez that when he did the promo rounds back in the day, the Headbanger's Ball was one of his least favorite things to do. Riki Rachtman didn't know anything about him or his band, never heard an Overkill album, etc., and yet when the camera went on Riki'd put on the phony smile and act like they were old buddies, meanwhile Blitz would be saying to himself "Oh god, I have to sit next to this dick for a whole hour?" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I didn't mind him one bit. My time watching HB was during his reign and I never saw a bad HB episode at the time.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Rachtman was into the glam/sleaze scene because he was (initially) in a Sunset Strip band called VIRGIN. And I think he co-owned THE CATHOUSE with Taime Dowen of FASTER Pu$$ycat...so that is where that allegiance came from.

As far as the progamming and whatnot on the ball...I fear that blame goes to the network. MTV played whomever the labels greased their palsm to plug and play.

And really, what's wrong with not knowing everything about every style of metal out there....smurf poo, they can't all be Heart Of Metal boardies, can they?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 pm

i've never cared for music videos, so i've only seen the original version a couple of times. he was the host on both. never formed an opinion on him though.

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Compared to his European counterpart - the amazingly stupid and plastic-looking VANESSA WARWICK, Riki was more than okay!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 pm

TOOL ! Couldn't stand the guy. I especially loved the episode Mustaine was on promoting Countdown To Extinction and he was constantly dogging Rachtman. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 12:22 am

stormspell wrote:
Compared to his European counterpart - the amazingly stupid and plastic-looking VANESSA WARWICK, Riki was more than okay!

Ye lol! she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 3:20 am

assault_attack wrote:

He for a short time was a dj in san jose & left because we did not have enough strip clubs, lol.

Just my 2 cents

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 3:23 am

assault_attack wrote:

Ye didn't he say one time that Nirvana was better than The Beatles? surprised
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:11 am

Just saw some more pics of Vanessa Warwick and she hasnt aged to well.Shame as she was hot in the early 90s.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 am

I didn't care much for him at the time, but now in retrospect, he doesn't seem all that bad. Knowing what we know now about his lack of input and whatnot, he seemed to make the best of the situation. I'd take him over that Jamey Jasta douchnozzle.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:57 am

Something about him always bugged be, but I don't remember hating him.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 am

Tool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riki Rachtman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riki Rachtman   Riki Rachtman Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riki Rachtman
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: