Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)

Go down 
+7
mc666
adrian
nevermore
Hamer12
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Empty
PostSubject: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 5:20 am

Great album!

I think it's the best since "Cleansing". It's my current favorite for this year! That might change when the new Testament arrives.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 6:58 am

Yeah, this new album sounds great. It may be my favorite disc of the year.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 7:18 am

like the sound.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 10:50 am

Saw them live on 4/24, they put on an AWESOME show. Bought the album at the show & talked to Tommy for quite a while, super nice guy with tons of energy. I'll agree it's the best since Cleansing. It will be hard to knock this one out of my Album of the Year!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Wow!!! I'm going to have to check this out.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Hmm, maybe I'll check it out. I liked them live two years back and I absolutely love the early stuff
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Tommy hasn't lost his touch.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:18 pm

mc666 wrote:
Tommy hasn't lost his touch.
Nope.

I've enjoyed all their albums, but their "comeback" album, Scorpio Rising, was kind of weak. Power of the Damager was great, though, and this new one is even better.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah, "Damager" was good too.

PRONG is doing better work than most "troo" thrash bands of the last 5 years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Listening to Carved In Stone on Spotify right now, sounds damn good!

What I always loved about Prong is they weren't afraid to actually "groove" on occasion and they always had great catchy riffs and hooks. Plus Tommy's approach to guitar always set them apart, he understands that when it comes to memorable riffs keeping things simple is often the best course of action. Great lead player too, who always sounded like his influences were more varied than many of his contemporaries at the time.

This new album still features those same aspects that I dug about their work in the early 90s. I really dig "Revenge...Served Cold", it sounds similar in spirit to Prove You Wrong.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:50 pm

There's nothing wrong at all with groove. Just most bands who rely on it don't know how to play their instruments very well and can't write a good riff to save their lives. Tommy and Dimebag didn't have that problem.

The new drummer is great too, but I also really loved Ted.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:46 am

I'm starting to think the new one may be their best album ever. It has all the same trademark sounds and elements as the past albums, but more refined and better production. Also the new drummer fits in the band well.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:48 am

Okay just listened to a song, I think I want it!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:06 am

Holy crap! Just went and listened to Eternal Heat from this album.....like a sonic kick in the teeth! What a RAGING thrasher! How does the rest of the album stack up with that tune?

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:19 am

Sideshow, there isn't a clunker on the whole album. It is probably the thrashiest song on it though. The title track is my least favorite & it is still a great tune.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah, it's not all thrashy. There are plenty of "groovers," which are typical of all Prong albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Prong was always a band that used thrash an an "ingredient" without ever actually being a thrash band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:00 pm

I had one of their albums back in the day. I forget the title. It had the song 'Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck' on it. I think I saw them live too as an opening act for someone. Ozzy maybe? Don't recall much about the album aside from that one song though and got rid of it, never thinking of these guys again.

Groovy-thrashiness you say? Maybe I need to re-visit their catalog.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
Prong was always a band that used thrash an an "ingredient" without ever actually being a thrash band.
As well as industrial and other styles, which is why they're not more popular. They're not enough of any one style.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I had one of their albums back in the day. I forget the title. It had the song 'Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck' on it. I think I saw them live too as an opening act for someone. Ozzy maybe? Don't recall much about the album aside from that one song though and got rid of it, never thinking of these guys again.

Groovy-thrashiness you say? Maybe I need to re-visit their catalog.
Cleansing is the album, and it's a great one. The main riff for "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck" is one of the baddest riffs ever written.

Here's another great one from that album:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
As well as industrial and other styles, which is why they're not more popular. They're not enough of any one style.

Which is the reason I like them so much. All my favorite bands during that era didn't fit neatly into any style (well, I guess that still applies now as well).

MG, I'd check out Beg To Differ, I still think that's my favorite Prong album and is unbelievably catchy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I wonder if that's what put me off about them at the time. While I'm still not what you'd call an industrial fan, I'm slightly more open-minded to my music choices these days. Very slightly.

"Whose Fist Is this Anyway" sounds vaguely familair. Not bad. Sounds like a weird disco-drum beat though.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:30 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Which is the reason I like them so much. All my favorite bands during that era didn't fit neatly into any style (well, I guess that still applies now as well).

MG, I'd check out Beg To Differ, I still think that's my favorite Prong album and is unbelievably catchy.
I second the Beg to Differ recommendation. Great album!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Prong and Pantera are/were the two best "groove" bands ever IMO.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Lost track of Prong after Cleansing (when Tommy broke up the band-like Suicidal Tenencies it didn't last long) but after these glowing reviews I guess I should get this one.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)   Prong - Carved In Stone (new album) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prong - Carved In Stone (new album)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next