Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flying Colors

Go down 
+5
exact33
Dark Horseman
James B.
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 am

Anyone have a chance to listen to this yet? I know I posted about it somewhere here—probably in a Dream Theater thread—but thought it deserved it's own thread.

Quote :
Mascot Label Group has announced the release of the eponymous debut album from FLYING COLORS — the spectacular new virtuoso prog/pop/metal rock band formed by drummer Mike Portnoy (ex-DREAM THEATER) and guitarist Steve Morse (DEEP PURPLE). The CD will be made available via Music Theories Recordings in the U.K. on Monday, March 26, followed by a U.S. release on Tuesday, March 27.

FLYING COLORS is Mike Portnoy (drums, vocals), Dave LaRue (bass), Neal Morse (keyboards, vocals), Casey McPherson (lead vocals, guitar), and Steve Morse (lead guitar).

"This album has bits and pieces of what you'd expect from each of us," says Portnoy. ""The sum of all its parts led to brand new, unchartered territory for everyone involved."

"Flying Colors" track listing:

01. Blue Ocean
02. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
03. Love Is What I’m Waiting For
04. The Storm
05. Kayla
06. Forever In A Daze
07. Everything Changes
08. Better Than Walking
09. All Falls Down
10. Fool In My Heart
11. Infinite Fire

The formation of FLYING COLORS began with a simple idea: virtuoso musicians and a pop singer joining together to make new-fashioned music the old-fashioned way. Refreshing, classic, old and new, the recordings are saturated with the many styles, tones and hues of the players who in becoming a band have delivered a unique fusion of vintage craftsmanship and contemporary music.

In 2008, executive producer Bill Evans brought the idea to the world-renowned musicians and producer Peter Collins. Intrigued by the idea and the prospect of working together, the four musicians signed on to form a band and record a first album.

Steve Morse and Dave LaRue have developed magical music chemistry over the years that began early in their careers as partners in DIXIE DREGS. In 1995, Morse subsequently became a member of DEEP PURPLE, while LaRue's ongoing musical adventures include Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, Steve Vai, and the aforementioned Portnoy.

Multi-instrumentalist, composer and singer Neal Morse is one of the leading figures in progressive rock, whose notoriety follows his co-founding of the seminal band, SPOCK'S BEARD in 1995, recordings as a solo artist, and contributions to the super-group TRANSATLANTIC.

Mike Portnoy is one of the most popular and respected drummers in both metal and rock, and an accomplished writer and producer. He is the recipient of numerous industry accolades, including 26 Modern Drummer awards, Revolver magazine's Golden God award for "Best Drummer" and Drum magazine's "Drummer Of The Year". He rose to prominence as the leader, drummer, producer, and co-writer for metal/prog juggernaut DREAM THEATER, before moving on in 2010. That same year, he worked on AVENGED SEVENFOLD's #1 album "Nightmare" and their subsequent tour.

It was Portnoy who recommended ALPHA REV's emotive singer Casey McPherson as a contender to join FLYING COLORS. McPherson, whose 2010 Hollywood/Disney album "New Morning" debuted in the Top 5 on two Billboard charts, enjoyed major success at radio with multiple hits. The track "New Morning" spent 17 weeks in the Top 10 on Triple A Radio, and enjoyed a run on VH1's Top 20 Countdown for months. Steve Morse offers, "Casey was a glorious find, because he could make anything sound fantastic, and is a multitalented like the others."

FLYING COLORS convened for just nine days in early 2011, and composed and recorded this album during a short and intense session.

"It was quite an experience," recalls Dave LaRue. "The band moved at a fast pace, ideas flying around the room at all times. Sections of tunes were arranged, and then re-arranged. Ideas were tried every which way until we made them work, or, in some cases, discarded them altogether. Just keeping track of everything was a challenge!" The album is filled with trial and triumph. It's been an inspiring challenge melding folk, prog, pop, and metal all into one big recording."

Touring plans for FLYING COLORS will be announced in the coming months.

Flying Colors Flyingcolorscd
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:48 am

Anyway, it came out today (my copy says "limited edition," but I'm not sure why since there doesn't appear to be anything special about it), and it's a great album. Progressive rock with all kinds of influences, from AOR to metal. Heavy Yes influence, Pink Floyd, I even hear some Eagles in there. Some bits are reminiscent of Muse. It's really a colorful palette, you know.

And it all works fantastically. Definitely one of the best albums I've heard so far this year.
Back to top Go down

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:59 am

I checked it out today, it's good but it's a little too much AOR and not enough prog for me, not crazy about the vocalist either. I'm sure many people will like it, very well produced and slickly arranged. The combination of pop and light touches of prog reminds me of Asia in spirit (even though the sound is very different).

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 am

I find it to be firmly entrenched in progressive rock, far deeper than just light touches.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 am

This sounds slightly more interesting to me than the Adreneline Mob project, but nothing knocking my socks of either. Sorry Mike, strike 2

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
This sounds slightly more interesting to me than the Adreneline Mob project, but nothing knocking my socks of either. Sorry Mike, strike 2

Mike is gonna piddle around for a few years..... DT is gonna do likewise and then you'll have this big "stink" regarding Mike's return home and they can have their last hurah with "The End Of The Road Is Home Tour"

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 am

James B. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Mike is gonna piddle around for a few years..... DT is gonna do likewise and then you'll have this big "stink" regarding Mike's return home and they can have their last hurah with "The End Of The Road Is Home Tour"

Yup, that sounds about right.

At least Mike's keeping busy. He seems like a nice enough fella, so I wish him well. I just wish his projects thus far were more interesting to me.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am

I'll check this out, I enjoy some of Neals stuff with Mike.
Back to top Go down

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm a huge fan of Steve Morse and he's the main draw for me, but I'm much more interested in his instrumental albums.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:25 pm

I kinda like this. Ill need to listen some more.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:02 pm

This is much better than the latest Dream Theater, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 pm

James B. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I don't about that, it will depend on how the next DT album does. The last one did really well and I love it, felt it is one of their best! If their albums continue to do well, I wouldn't suspect they will want him back at all. The band in interviews seems to be much happier without Mike, sort of a "yay, the bully is gone" attitude or better yet the abused spouse that didn't realize how badly she was abused until her husband left her for the younger woman.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:24 pm

I forgot what the name of this band was and didn't realize this came out, and I was just at Best Buy yesterday. I don't really feel like going all the way back there today so maybe I'll go tomorrow. I really liked what I heard in that clip a few months back and I've wanted to get it.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 pm

crap... the more I keep listening to the samples on Itunes I want to go get this now

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Quote :
The band in interviews seems to be much happier without Mike, sort of a "yay, the bully is gone" attitude or better yet the abused spouse that didn't realize how badly she was abused until her husband left her for the younger woman.

They all say that now. Noone's gonna admit they were wrong. It's too early. "Gee, we blew it with this new guy. We shouldn't have let Mike go."

How much smoke has every band blown up our collective asses about each new member being "the greatest ever". Until the original comes back. Then he was "the true voice, best ever, irreplacable, yadda, yadda, yadda".

Another DT album with the new guy, probably a live cd/dvd, then Mike's back for the big reunion. They all do it.

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 pm

I much prefer Dream Theater's new drummer to Portnoy.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
The band in interviews seems to be much happier without Mike, sort of a "yay, the bully is gone" attitude or better yet the abused spouse that didn't realize how badly she was abused until her husband left her for the younger woman.

They all say that now. Noone's gonna admit they were wrong. It's too early. "Gee, we blew it with this new guy. We shouldn't have let Mike go."

How much smoke has every band blown up our collective asses about each new member being "the greatest ever". Until the original comes back. Then he was "the true voice, best ever, irreplacable, yadda, yadda, yadda".

Another DT album with the new guy, probably a live cd/dvd, then Mike's back for the big reunion. They all do it.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I still think that if the sales stay were they are without MP and they all get along well with the new Mike, why change it up? I think if sales decline, then the "reunion" talk will start. Especially as they get closer to their "401k" tour
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:26 pm

I think Portnoy should tell them all to lick it if they ask him to come back. I realize the Blabbermouth Collective has labeled him the problem here, but I don't buy that for a second. He got screwed out of his own band because of greed.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm

My guess is they'll truly understand just how much Mike did for them and the band that they were not aware of only to have to take it on themselves or start paying someone else to do...they may be all happy now thinking they're "in control"....but I think it'll end up biting them in the ass eventually.

Portnoy may be a control freak, or whatever, but I bet there was a definite method to his madness that they were just not willing to acknowledge in favor of "we'll just do it ourselves"...

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think Portnoy should tell them all to lick it if they ask him to come back. I realize the Blabbermouth Collective has labeled him the problem here, but I don't buy that for a second. He got screwed out of his own band because of greed.

Exactly. I don't see why taking a break was such a big problem with the rest of the band. You would think if anyone would have been ok with it, would have been James Labrie especially with his solo stuff.

Honestly though, its just a drummer. Yea he started the band but Myung, and Petrucci have been there from the start as well. Everyone else contributes their ideas over the years too so, whatever no one is irreplaceable. The band will keep going with the new guy. Did anyone do all of this crying when Kevin Moore left? If anything he's the one thats been missing since he left.

As long as the band is still around and they put out good albums thats all that matters. 1 or 2 more good albums without Portnoy and everyone will forget about it and move on.

BTW I ended up going to Best Buy to get the Flying Colors album lol!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

[quote="Phoenix Reign Drummer"]
Eyesore wrote:

Honestly though, its just a drummer.

Now THAT is something that I never thought I'd see you post!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Quote :
Honestly though, its just a drummer. Yea he started the band but Myung, and Petrucci have been there from the start as well. Everyone else contributes their ideas over the years too so, whatever no one is irreplaceable.

Not musically, no...but by all accounts Mike "drove" the band in many, many other areas outside of just musically. Now that he's gone, who's doing that?

Quote :
Did anyone do all of this crying when Kevin Moore left?

Absolutely...there is a certain section of the fanbase that's still crying about it (myself included).. But he left after 5 years...Portnoy after 25...big difference.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:34 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"]
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Honestly though, its just a drummer.

Now THAT is something that I never thought I'd see you post!

lol! drums are overrated.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
Honestly though, its just a drummer. Yea he started the band but Myung, and Petrucci have been there from the start as well. Everyone else contributes their ideas over the years too so, whatever no one is irreplaceable.

Not musically, no...but by all accounts Mike "drove" the band in many, many other areas outside of just musically. Now that he's gone, who's doing that?

Quote :
Did anyone do all of this crying when Kevin Moore left?

Absolutely...there is a certain section of the fanbase that's still crying about it (myself included).. But he left after 5 years...Portnoy after 25...big difference.

They don't need to do those extra things that Mike did. Yea its cool that Mike would release those bootlegs for the fans but he really didn't have to. How many bands do things like that? Very few. I think every band should do that. It would stop the bootlegging and its also a way for the band to make extra money but its not necessary. If they want to still keep doing that though I'm sure its not hard for them to find someone to do it if they haven't already.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

That's what I think is gonna hurt them most. His actual drumming can be replaced, but his day-to-day behind the scenes stuff is what made that band.

Take Lars Ulrich. We can goof all we want about his skills or his general douchbaggery, but I look at it being equivalent to him leaving Metallica. His direction and vision made them what they are, like it or not. Yea, they could get a technically better drummer, but who's gonna steer the ship? James would crash into an iceberg and sink it faster than the Titanic.

Portnoy, perhaps on a slightly lesser scale, I think did the same for Dream Theater.

Flying Colors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Colors   Flying Colors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flying Colors
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next