Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Confessor fans??

Go down 
+7
Temple of Blood
stormspell
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Any Confessor fans?? Empty
PostSubject: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 am

Confessor was a band that was all the buzz when I first moved to NC in 1989. They signed to Earache records and released 'Condemned'. I knew guys who knew the Confessor guys, but never knew them myself. I really liked the Doomy Prog Metal on 'Condemned' though...

Divebomb is releasng all three of their demo tapes (pre-'Condemned') rematered and released officially on CD for the first time (before you ask, Earache won't let go of 'Condemned'). An enhanced portion of the CD as well as a bonus DVD features archival live footage of Confessor in their prime.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/179770

Quote :
With the release of their debut album, Condemned, the band felt as though their chance was at hand to show the world what they knew, that Confessor was unlike anything else out at the time. Unfortunately, label merging and politics forced Confessor off of the US leg of that famous tour in favor of the latest "new band". Confessor's ongoing struggles with their label led to line up changes that seriously altered the band's trajectory and eventually they disbanded after only a single album was released.

Luckily, over the years Confessor's controversial, yet pioneering sound became accepted and adored by many in the metal community and in 2004 the band reunited for some festival appearances. They have reunited once again for a special appearance at the Maryland Deathfest in 2012.

Says Divebomb Records: "Uncontrolled is the first time all three Confessor demo tapes have been released officially. These are the demos that helped the band get signed to Earache Records back in 1990 and led to the eventual release of their now ground-breaking, Condemned, debut album. This collection is long overdue and fans have been demanding it for years so we, at Divebomb Records, are happy to oblige them. For the diehards we have unearthed raw archival live footage as part of both an enhanced CD and bonus DVD."

Jeff Wagner (author of Mean Deviation: Four Decades Of Progressive Metal) has also contributed a brand new essay to the liners. The demos themselves were converted from original reels and/or DAT by The Kitchen Mastering in 2004. Jamie King remastered the entire set in 2012 at his Basement Studios. For the fans, by the fans.

Any Confessor fans?? 2_w250_h250_s1_PT0_PR0_PB0_PL0_PC000000

Last edited by Shawn Of Fire on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am

Heard OF'em but don't think I ever HEARD them...

I think my brother probably has some of their stuff, cuz back in the day he bought pretty much anything with the Earache Records logo on it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am

I had 2 of their discs, one ep and one full length. On paper, they shoulda been right up my alley. Doomy, sludgy with some prog influences and clean vocals.

I tried to like them, but nothing ever stuck with me. Kinda stuff where it seems like the disc just goes on and on. By track 6 or 7, you're thinking, "This is still going, huh?"

I ditched them not that long ago when I was clearing some shelf space in the cd racks.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 am

Is this the same Confessor that showed up on Metal Massacre X ? If so,then that is the only song of their's I know but it is a cool song.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 am

007 wrote:
Is this the same Confessor that showed up on Metal Massacre X ? If so,then that is the only song of their's I know but it is a cool song.

Yes, and that song is a bonus track on this new collection...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
007 wrote:

Yes, and that song is a bonus track on this new collection...

Cool ! I'd like to check out their other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

A band I've heard of, and seemed cool, but never actually heard.

Since they've been called progressive doom and technical doom, that means I should check them out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 pm

I always considered Condemned more of a thrash album than doom. The drummer was insanely good
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Since they've been called progressive doom and technical doom...

Prog and technical influences all came from the drums. The dude was a beast, in the elite league of Steve Flynn and Sean Reinert.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 pm

I actually liked their more recent stuff more even though it didn't have high-pitched vocals. It sounded more like BLACK SABBATH and was a bit catchier I think.

I heard the demos this singer did with WATCHTOWER and they were pretty bad. On paper it sounded like a good fit but it just didn't work.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Heard OF'em but don't think I ever HEARD them...

This. I remember reading a review of an album they released like 6 years ago on Metal Rules, but never checked them out. The description of the sound of the band has me interested.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 pm

On a funny side note: When I saw this clip back in the day, for a long time I thought the singer is a chick Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:58 pm

I have all their stuff. The ep, and both lps. yay me!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm

I actually got to see these guys twice. Once with Non-Fiction and Blitzspeer in '89 or '90. Fantastic show! And once again a few years ago opening for Trouble. Second show was better than the first. I think they are a great band and will be ordering this cd.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 9:47 pm

I like their music but it's hard for me to get into the vocals.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Most people that I've talked to about Confessor have said the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 pm

nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Most people that I've talked to about Confessor have said the same thing.

Yeah, it's just the strange repetitive singing that puts me off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Confessor fans??   Any Confessor fans?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Confessor fans??
Page 1 of 1