Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil

Go down 
+14
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
Eyesore
Andy
Temple of Blood
mlotek
A Handful of Wayne
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
powermacho
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 am

Bassist "Glenn Five" of Anvil has quit the band.

Once again "Creative Differences" rears its ugly head... wonder what really went down here...

Quote :
ANVIL's Longtime Bassist GLENN FIVE Quits - Jan. 16, 2012
According to The Hollywood Reporter, bassist Glenn Gyorffy (a.k.a. Glenn Five or G5), has left Canadian metal legends ANVIL, citing creative differences.

Glenn Five joined ANVIL in 1996 and has appeared on seven of the band's albums, including "This Is Thirteen" and the group's latest release, "Juggernaut Of Justice", on which he wrote and sang the song "This Ride".

Commented Glenn: "Playing in ANVIL has given me some of the best years of my life. However, after nearly 16 years with the band, the time has come to move on and try new musical endeavors. Although ANVIL has been a great band to play in, I have been limited creatively. I have a wide taste in music and I feel that it’s time to broaden my horizons."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Bassist "Glenn Five" of Anvil has quit the band.

Once again "Creative Differences" rears its ugly head... wonder what really went down here...

Quote :
ANVIL's Longtime Bassist GLENN FIVE Quits - Jan. 16, 2012
According to The Hollywood Reporter, bassist Glenn Gyorffy (a.k.a. Glenn Five or G5), has left Canadian metal legends ANVIL, citing creative differences.

Glenn Five joined ANVIL in 1996 and has appeared on seven of the band's albums, including "This Is Thirteen" and the group's latest release, "Juggernaut Of Justice", on which he wrote and sang the song "This Ride".

Commented Glenn: "Playing in ANVIL has given me some of the best years of my life. However, after nearly 16 years with the band, the time has come to move on and try new musical endeavors. Although ANVIL has been a great band to play in, I have been limited creatively. I have a wide taste in music and I feel that it’s time to broaden my horizons."

He went on to say, "I mean, I thought Anvil was popular. I didn't think I'd still be working a day job 16 years later."
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

He went on to say, "I mean, I thought Anvil was popular. I didn't think I'd still be working a day job 16 years later."

Very Happy Harsh, but probably close to the truth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 am

Just one more swift kick to the nuts of Anvil's career. Keep fighting the good fight, boys!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

I had to laugh at the Blabbermouth comments under this story, by the way. Someone suggested they give Jason Newsted a call to fill Glenn's spot, since Jay already helped resurrect one Canadian band (Voivod).

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 am

Can Tim Owens play bass?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

this is sad for anvil. i think their time to quit as come
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

powermacho wrote:

Eh, why let that little bump in the road cause them to pack it up and call it a day. After all they've been through at this point? They'll find someone else. It's only the bass player (apologies to all bass playing members of this forum Razz ). It's not like he was Lemmy or Tom Araya.

Finding someone to play on another album should be easy enough. They've gotten enough publicity over the last coupla years that folks should be interested. Finding one willing to tour and play empty clubs for peanuts might be tough though.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 am

VH1 Classic reality show for new bass player...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

...hosted by Eddie Trunk...!

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

With his hand-selected panel including Pete Way.......
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Laughing

And in the event that the bassist Trunk wants to win doesn't get the gig, he'll throw a tantrum and hissy-fit and begin to pout.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Did someone say VH-1 Classic reality show? Get Scott Ian, Sebastian Bach and Bret Michaels on the phone, STAT!!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Quote :
Although ANVIL has been a great band to play in, I have been limited creatively. I have a wide taste in music and I feel that it’s time to broaden my horizons."

He wants to play funky "slap" bass...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Although ANVIL has been a great band to play in, I have been limited creatively. I have a wide taste in music and I feel that it’s time to broaden my horizons."

He wants to play funky "slap" bass...

"I've always been a funk bass player...anyone who knows me knows I worship Bootsy Collins."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

We are talking about Anvil right? Creative differences? Maybe he just needs to join a band that can actually create something.

Anvil is the wheelchair ramp of metal.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I read this yesturday. Theres also something else on blabbermouth that Lips said G5 kind of left them without much notice. Honestly though The guy has been in the band for 16 years. When the movie came out he was barely in it. A lot of the time when there was band interviews or anything Anvil related he was barely (if at all) there to do any talking. For someone that has been in the band for that long should have had a little more involvement and I'm sure it wasn't his fault. Everything seemed to be Lips and Robb making it seem like G5 was just some random guy.

I would have left 15 1/2 years ago.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 4:58 pm

a week ago, on http://www.blogtalkradio.com/heavy-metal-mayhem , they announced a new member from New York state joining ANVIL.
I'll have to download and listen to it again who it is.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 5:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Can Tim Owens play bass?

For ANVIL he could.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Average bassist, average band. Hope they find someone decent and continue their revived career.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:59 pm

powermacho wrote:
Sigh...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

maybe the "jazz" flavor of J of J wasn't "metal" enough for the guy ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:42 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Can Tim Owens play bass?

For ANVIL he could.
Haha. Spot on.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 pm

mlotek wrote:
a week ago, on http://www.blogtalkradio.com/heavy-metal-mayhem , they announced a new member from New York state joining ANVIL.
I'll have to download and listen to it again who it is.

Blabbermouth to the rescue!

Quote :
Canadian metal legends ANVIL have recruited Sal Italiano (pictured below), a member of the Long Island, New York IRON MAIDEN tribute band LIVE AFTER DEATH and original progressive metal act THE NIGHTMARE STAGE, as well as a former member of the acclaimed '80s heavy metal group CITIES, as their new touring bassist.

ANVIL's longtime bassist Glenn Gyorffy (a.k.a. Glenn Five or G5) announced his departure from the band two days ago, citing creative differences.

Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Salanvil

I would imagine that he probably won't be rockin' the Steve Harris lookalike gear while onstage with Anvil. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil   Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glenn Five (G5) quits Anvil
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next