Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Peter Criss?

Go down 
+4
Metal Misfit
spiritoradio
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 10:05 pm

What do you think about Peter Criss? He's a good drummer and a great singer but without KISS he just sucks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 pm

I think Peter is/was a competent drummer, but not overly technical or flashy. I think he just happened to be in the right place at the right time for KISS's humble beginnings, but as their stage show progressed, Peter looked and sounded a little out of touch. He came from more of the old-school background where the drummers job was to just keep the beat. He's not the BIG, FLAMBOYANT, ROCK drummer that a KISS show needs. Eric Carr fit that position better. Eric had that bombastic quality that made the drums thunder and the flash that made people take notice. He came more from the John Bonham/rock n' roll school of drumming. That's my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 10:34 pm

I agree with you. Eric was really better. But he died...Cliff Burton was really better but he died...(An example, Cliff Burton wasn't with KISS...) And Eric Carr was able to sing too. Eric Singer too. Just look at an Eric Carr solo you'll see.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37637

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Peter's a hella nice guy (I met him at the 1994 NY KISS Expo), but I can't stomach any of his work outside of KISS.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 2:18 am

I love his voice on the KISS tracks that he sang on, but I have not heard any of his solo albums. Are they any good at all? It's almost a sympathy thing that I have for Peter, like I feel bad for him if you know what I mean.

Has anyone seen the KISS episode of Family Guy? Peter and Lois go to a KISS concert, Peter dresses up like Gene and Lois goes as Peter. Anyway Lois doesn't really even like KISS, but goes anyway because her husband loves them, they fight and Peter says something to the extent of: "I shouldve known you weren't a fan. I mean you came as Peter Criss. Not even Peter Criss wants to be Peter Criss". Poor Pete. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 1:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think Peter is/was a competent drummer, but not overly technical or flashy. I think he just happened to be in the right place at the right time for KISS's humble beginnings, but as their stage show progressed, Peter looked and sounded a little out of touch. He came from more of the old-school background where the drummers job was to just keep the beat. He's not the BIG, FLAMBOYANT, ROCK drummer that a KISS show needs. Eric Carr fit that position better. Eric had that bombastic quality that made the drums thunder and the flash that made people take notice. He came more from the John Bonham/rock n' roll school of drumming. That's my 2 cents.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your assessment. He's a crooner who tried to rock.

I think he's a cool and really nice guy, but at this stage in the game, I'd rather he and Ace never joined up with KISS again.

As for his solo work, his first album was pretty bad, but there's a lot of good stuff that came from Out of Control, Let Me Rock You, and Criss Cat #1. I've heard samples of his new stuff online and it sounds horrible, though.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Criss is basically an old school rock & roll guy...his solo outings are pretty much that...sometimes almost Springsteen-ish...just competent plain old rock.....

love the CRISS solo album (1977)....the ballads are killer...I mean "I can't stop the rain" is awesome!!!

He just always sort of stuck out like a sore thumb from the others....poor guy....

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 7:56 pm

Yeah there's a lot of ballad I love from Peter.

PS: I saw this Family Guy episode Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 4:25 am

Hmm, see I always thought Peter was a great drummer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 9:20 am

Criss loves guys like Frank Sanatra and old jazz guys like Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich. He was definitely stepping outside his normal style in Kiss. However, in the early-to-mid 1970's the guy was awesome! Just listen to his solo on Kiss Alive.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 11:12 am

I thought Peter's voice worked well on the songs he did with KISS. He had a very distinct, raspy voice that was very different than the rest of the guys in the band. I never heard his later solo stuff, but I've never heard/read anything too positive. At one point I remember owning his KISS solo album on cassette, but honestly can't recall anything from it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 11:25 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
At one point I remember owning his KISS solo album on cassette, but honestly can't recall anything from it.

How could you forget "That's the Kind of Sugar Papa Likes"? lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 11:29 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
At one point I remember owning his KISS solo album on cassette, but honestly can't recall anything from it.

EDIT: It's not that I couldn't recall. More like I'm trying to forget!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 11:45 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

This song is on KISSology Vol.2 when you listen to the movie. You cannot forget it! lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 1:27 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I thought Peter's voice worked well on the songs he did with KISS. He had a very distinct, raspy voice that was very different than the rest of the guys in the band.

I love his voice. I think he did his best work on 'Black Diamond' when singing it live.
Back to top Go down
777Stryken777
Metal novice
Metal novice
777Stryken777

Number of posts : 60

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 1:33 am

I think Peter *was* a great drummer. Not a technical drummer, but man, that guy had a great feel. Check out the groove on songs like "Watchin' You," "I Want You," or "Parasite."

Yes, Eric was a better technical drummer, and I love Eric... but hearing him play Peter's stuff... while it made Kiss a heavier band, they did lose some of the swagger that they had with Peter. Peter was to Kiss what Glenn Buxton was to Alice Cooper - the outlaw of the band, and it showed in his playing.

When I say that he *was* a great drummer, it's because I think his time as a rock drummer is over. That was clear during the Aerosmith tour a couple years back. During Detroit Rock City, for example, the song really dragged about halfway through. I know that he has some physical problems with his arms these days, and that may be why his playing deteriorated in the last few years. But I doubt he'll tour with Kiss again. Sad
Back to top Go down

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 11:08 am

Eric was a great drummer and a great guys. Look at what were saying Paul,Gene,Bruce or Ace. He was a good guy. Not only a great drummer a good guy and he was a KISS members. Peter was a great drummer too but now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Peter Criss? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Criss?   Peter Criss? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peter Criss?
Page 1 of 1