Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Internet killed the Live Album

Go down 
+22
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Eyesore
Gilbert
exact33
Andy
The_Jayroh
Lurideath
manny
thejokeriv
metalken
metalhead777
mlotek
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
kmorg
rawr!
Temple of Blood
Approval Guy
stepcousin
Schbopo
Alex Dee Rokket
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

The Internet killed the Live Album Empty
PostSubject: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 am

More specifically youtube has killed the live album. As users are able to upload any footage, whether captured with their own cameras or copyright footage, it seems to me that the magic and surprise of hearing a band in a live setting has completely disappeared. Of course people still attend live shows but what seems to have disappeared is the recording of live shows and live packages for the fans. Nowadays the fans can find just about any band they want to see playing songs live on youtube and other places on the net.

Do you agree?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 am

You've obviously never been to a Phish show
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 am

I think the quality of a live album released by a label and nowadays remastered is far better than most YouTube video sound quality. And then there's listening to a live album on vinyl, which can't really be equaled in today's digital society, at least from my personal opinion and experience. But I see your point, especially with modern live DVD's. You can see sometimes a whole show on YouTube links. So maybe you were meaning live DVD's, not so much live albums.
Back to top Go down
Approval Guy
Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 7:59 am

I see what you're getting at but live albums and DVDs will always be better quality, I don't care what fancy camera or microphone you have. It has however killed the physical bootleg.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 am

Agree with OP.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 8:50 am

from what ive observed, youtube primarily satisfies the limited (in quality and other factors) instant online gratification or reminiscing categories of listening to live material, which doesnt really stamp out the need for high quality, full length, personally possessed live recordings. there is definitely some interplay of user intention and what material is available where, but the two media sources currently occupy two overlapping but different niches. companies might feel pressure from a portion of the consumers of both media formats that realize theyve been paying a lot for live material they feel they could theoretically get cheaper to one degree or another. a lot of money is made because of perceived monopolies....if people record their own shows or share a professional recording they defeat the false idea of a monopoly and more people benefit than would have because we arent playing pretend.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 am

I agree with rawr!

Lately I can't seem to get into new releases as much as I used to. I takes me much longer to apprechiate (sp?) most new albums, even from my favorite bands. The only stuff that excites me right away are live recordings, and bootlegs. Hearing obscure songs done line, or favorites done with energy is really cool!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 9:54 am

I'm not a big live album guy anyway...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

+1
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 am

Love bootlegs.
THE MAIN REASON I thinkcertaion bands do not want them available, is the word would spread quickly how terrible they are and attendence/ticket sales would drop.

Hate record companies for stalling on live records, or more rare tracks by my favourite bands, so with technology advancing, the fans took matters into their own hands.

I just watched the complete Metallica show I attended in December 1986 on youtube.

Never knew that existed, only heard a rumour about it back then, and could only buy an audio cassette bootleg of that gig. I know from the Slayer and Metallica shows back in 1986-88 the one local taper who worked at a record store made a killing.

It took bands how many years to provide that service to fans, such as KISS Instant Concerts for sale immediately ?

As far as official live albums or bootlegs? Prefer bootlegs unless the record company one was also untouched.
I WISH bands would not re-record parts to fix "mistakes" such as bum notes or eliminate feedback.

There have been some instances where the work put into it can be appreciated.

Read this,
http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/dvdmsg3.html

and see how much time and effort Jimmy Page spent on just ONE SONG, splicing / editing from recordings of a song into a PERFECT rendition.
That is different, as he worked with all live material so I don't consider that to be cheating led Zeppelin fans.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 11:00 am

Approval Guy wrote:
I see what you're getting at but live albums and DVDs will always be better quality, I don't care what fancy camera or microphone you have. It has however killed the physical bootleg.
This. 90% of self recorded footage has such muddy quality in both video and audio its pretty much completely useless.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 11:16 am

I believe that todays bands should be tapping into this and using it for their own good. There are a ton of people who live close to, or in the middle, of nowhere where shows just do not happen.
I do agree that the live album is a near dead concept (don't tell Maiden), but perhaps this modern day version of the bootleg is a tool bands could use. I have seen it done years ago where you could get the soundboard cassette (remember years ago) tape for a few extra dollars after the show. More moola for the band. Perhaps a taped show with soundboard audio on a burned disc or flashdrive ? Todays technology should open whole new avenues for bands.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I don't think it's dead, but the live album is now the live Blu-ray/DVD
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:52 pm

I think the internet has killed the live album as a special event that is for sure, back in the day fans would request live albums and they were seen as legit as studio albums but those days are long over unless you are deceased artist then those they tend to make into a big deal.

But I agree with Leo, live DVD/Blu-Ray have replaced live albums, as evidence that veteran bands such as KISS and Deep Purple have gone into their vaults and released vintage concerts.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Live albums are just a collector's joy. Its not the be all end all of a band. I can take it or leave it, it don't bother me. Youtube is great for certain things already mentioned, but I don't think its hurting the live album releases.

Youtube to me is partially what is killing new releases though. You can hear the entire Th1rt3en album from Megadeth already on there.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Live albums are just a collector's joy. Its not the be all end all of a band. I can take it or leave it, it don't bother me. Youtube is great for certain things already mentioned, but I don't think its hurting the live album releases.

Youtube to me is partially what is killing new releases though. You can hear the entire Th1rt3en album from Megadeth already on there.

Interesting you say this about live album are now for die hard fans and collector's, both Deep Purple and the Doors have released a number of live albums and made it clear that are for die hard fans not something they except to hit # 1 on Billboard.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I've never been big on live albums, but man YouTube quality live videos are so horrible 9/10 of the time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 pm

I agree that it may have detracted from the novelty of waiting for, purchasing and owning a live album.

However, 2 minute long, low-quality footage posted by a random concert goer does little justice to seeing a band in a real live setting. If anything it spurs interest in fans to get tickets and go see a show for themselves. Word of mouth is also just as strong as it ever was, with people commenting (meaningfully!) and posting on forums with their experiences and opinions of live acts. In addition, as far as "live" music goes, most fans want a produced, properly mixed release over low-quality bootlegs.

I think it is one of the few technological outlets that has not entirely hindered the music industry.

Keep buying concert tickets!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

me either. Especially when bands have multiple live stuff...

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 1:19 am

I rarely buy a live album.

But i agree that internet is killing everything today
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 am

Lame-ass producers/bands turning live albums into studio albums with extra reverb killed the live album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 7:28 am

Nah, people preferred it that way.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:16 am

I don't know. There seems to be more live albums coming out these days than ever before. On top of bands releasing new live albums, record companies are releasing old live radio broadcasts, BBC recordings, live performances that were recorded but never released, etc.

Heaven & Hell released ONE studio album under that name, but TWO live albums.

Look at all the Dio live recordings that have surfaced since his death.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
I don't know. There seems to be more live albums coming out these days than ever before. On top of bands releasing new live albums, record companies are releasing old live radio broadcasts, BBC recordings, live performances that were recorded but never released, etc.

I wouldn't say it's out of popularity so much as it's just an easy market to tap.

For newer bands, the technology is easier that ever to record a live show and it helps fill contract requirements. For older bands, it's brand name recognition and work that's already done. You ain't getting anymore new material outta dead artists or broken-up bands, but if you can find an old recording and give it a little spit & polish, you've got yourself a "new" album to sell. Record companies will beat that dead horse for all it's worth and then some.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I wouldn't say it's out of popularity so much as it's just an easy market to tap.

For newer bands, the technology is easier that ever to record a live show and it helps fill contract requirements. For older bands, it's brand name recognition and work that's already done. You ain't getting anymore new material outta dead artists or broken-up bands, but if you can find an old recording and give it a little spit & polish, you've got yourself a "new" album to sell. Record companies will beat that dead horse for all it's worth and then some.

Sometimes that dead horse can be revived though. I've been really enjoying the Dio and Twisted Sister live releases that have been coming out in recent years. Nostalgia for sure and I realize it's record companies making money from old recordings, but so what? If you enjoy those old recordings, there is nothing wrong with paying for them.

Last edited by ultmetal on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Internet killed the Live Album   The Internet killed the Live Album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Internet killed the Live Album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next