Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Empty
PostSubject: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15064243

Violinist Grappelli found on 'lost' Pink Floyd track
By John Wilson BBC Radio 4's Front Row

A long-lost recording of virtuoso jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli jamming with rock superstars Pink Floyd is finally set for release.

It has been buried deep in the EMI vaults for 36 years. Now, a long-lost recording of virtuoso jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli jamming with rock superstars Pink Floyd is finally set for release.

Grappelli takes an extended soaring solo on a version of the title song of the classic 1975 album Wish You Were Here.

Floyd drummer Nick Mason describes the track as the "jewel in the crown" of the band's archives. The master tape was presumed to have been wiped.

"My understanding was that we'd had to record over it in order to put on other sections," says Mason, referring to the multi-layering of tracks that the band pioneered in Abbey Road's state-of-the-art 24-track studios.

"It still astonishes me that we didn't use it originally, didn't realise what a wonderful thing it was," he says of the legendary Grappelli session.

The track will appear on a special edition of Wish You Were Here to be released on 7 November.
Pink Floyd flying pig The famous flying pig from Floyd's album Animals was re-created

No-one - not even the bootleg-collecting Floyd fanatics - has ever heard Grappelli improvising alongside Mason, David Gilmour, Roger Waters and Rick Wright.

Mason reveals that Pink Floyd were nearly joined by another new member that day - Yehudi Menuhin.

"We were recording in studio three and Yehudi and Stephane were recording in two. They were invited in to hear what we were working on," Mason says.

Both men were asked to add their violins to the mix but Menuhin - regarded as one of the greatest classical musicians of all time - politely declined.

"He was not comfortable improvising, he was nervous," recalls Mason.

But Grappelli jumped at the chance.

"It was meat and drink for him," says Mason.
Not airworthy

Pink Floyd's label, EMI, are re-releasing the band's 14 studio albums on Monday.

To mark the event, a large inflatable pig flew above London's Battersea Power Station on Monday.

A similar flying pig was used for the iconic Animals album cover 35 years ago.

EMI had planned to use the same inflatable which had been kept at a workshop since the original shoot, but it was found not to be airworthy and a replica was produced.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Sweet!
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 4:45 pm

This sounds amazing. Stephane Grappelli is an amazing jazz musician. Wish You Were Here is my favorite Floyd album. I'll be looking for this! Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release 25679
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:52 pm

That is the crown jewel of their archives? How disappointing!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am

GREAT!!! Can't wait to hear that!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:
That is the crown jewel of their archives? How disappointing!

Not a fan of the Hot Club of Paris with Django & Grapelli I take it? Some of the most influential pre-war recordings of the 20th century.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release   Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rare version of Wish You Were Here to appear on a re-release
Page 1 of 1