Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?

Go down 
+11
DeathCult
DallasBlack
rawr!
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
kmorg
Troublezone
metalhead777
Coram Deo
James B.
Cognitive Dissonance
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Empty
PostSubject: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 am

While having a discussion with a younger man at the gym, he stated his love for some band named "Haste the Day" and he said that 80's metal has no "rhythm". I'm not to good on my musical theory-does this mean "groove metal" (which I detest)? Does 80's thrash like early Sodom, Slayer etc, have this so called "rhythm"? Can you give me examples of eighties metal having this detestable attribute?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:11 pm

'rhythm" is very subjective. It can be a lot of different things, yet still be rhythm.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 pm

umm..is he talking about having break downs? That is an attribute of metalcore stuff....As well as rhythm. I remember playing some Metallica, Powermad and Devastation for a friend back in the day, and he said it all sounded the same, no melody I think he put it?

I am not an expert, but I'd say 80's metal has quite a lot of rhythm...Most thrash from the 80's have a lead guitarist, and a "rhythm" guitarist...back when metal actually had two different distint guitar parts....

youtube any 80's band and see it!
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Coram Deo wrote:
Powermad and Devastation for a friend back in the day, and he said it all sounded the same, no melody I think he put it?

!

there is a difference between "rhythm" and "melody"

athough, I can understand why people have that opinion

Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Coram Deo wrote:
umm..is he talking about having break downs? That is an attribute of metalcore stuff....As well as rhythm. I remember playing some Metallica, Powermad and Devastation for a friend back in the day, and he said it all sounded the same, no melody I think he put it?

I am not an expert, but I'd say 80's metal has quite a lot of rhythm...Most thrash from the 80's have a lead guitarist, and a "rhythm" guitarist...back when metal actually had two different distint guitar parts....

youtube any 80's band and see it!
So is rhythm the same as melody?
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Of course it does.

Now with your friend,the only cure for metalcore fever is either a heavy dose of thrash metal or a bullet to the head. I would suggest the metal as it has much less of a nasty clean up Cool
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 pm

No, as James B. said....I think they are closely related, and how can a song be a song unless it has some sort of rhythm and some sort of melody? Even if the song is a bad one, it still would have a bad rhythm and a bad melody???.........and also as James B. said it is subjective....Like I said I'm no expert....Just a thrash o holic....And I see plenty of Rhythm and melody.....In thrash....

If your friend means that 80's music sounds different than Haste the Day I agree there.....I like the older HTD, but I like the classic 80's stuff much much better.....

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest they are the same, jsut doing drive by posts at work....
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah... they have "rhythm guitar" players.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Riffs are certainly rhythmic patters, so if any genre has rhythm, it's thrash!

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Yes

What He said
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

widespread headbanging is a testament to rhythm in metal, thrash and pretty much every other subgenre.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Does melodic hard rock have melody?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 am

Rhythm has to do with beat, which every song has.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:04 am

Any kind of music that follows patterns has rhythm, but I think most people think of rhythm as the groove of a song. In that regard, a lot of thrash lacks "rhythm." It's just too fast, you know.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Any kind of music that follows patterns has rhythm, but I think most people think of rhythm as the groove of a song. In that regard, a lot of thrash lacks "rhythm." It's just too fast, you know.

I can snap my fingers just fine to some thrash metal.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 am

EvyMetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I can snap my fingers just fine to some thrash metal.
Some, sure.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Quote :
While having a discussion with a younger man at the gym, he stated his love for some band named "Haste the Day" and he said that 80's metal has no "rhythm". I'm not to good on my musical theory-does this mean "groove metal" (which I detest)? Does 80's thrash like early Sodom, Slayer etc, have this so called "rhythm"? Can you give me examples of eighties metal having this detestable attribute?

Then you need to seriously slap this dude hard! What the guy said makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?   Does thrash metal have "rhythm"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does thrash metal have "rhythm"?
Page 1 of 1