Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JOURNEY - ECL1P53

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Empty
PostSubject: JOURNEY - ECL1P53   JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Firstly, the performances of the musicians are fantastic. Neal's solos amazing, Arnel sounds brilliant and much more comfortable in his position.

City Of Hope - Too long. The parts of the song are good, but they needed a producer to hammer it into shape, IMO. Sounds like what would be a live version of an Augeri-era track with the extended jamming, etc.

Edge Of The Moment - Too long again, but if any of the longer numbers come close to warranting the length, it'd be this one, IMO. Not bad...the parts of the song are cool, again. A little more serious, like "Edge Of The Blade" or "Separate Ways". It tries a little too hard to be intense and doesn't quite get there, but it's not bad.

Chain Of Love - Too long (seeing a pattern?). Not only is it too long, it's not as good as the 2 songs before it. This sounds more like a B-side or a song that would have benefitted from a little more tooling. The chorus is anti-climactic, IMO. Bits of it are cool, but the first truly weak moment for me.

Tantra - sounds like a Disney movie epic ballad. I can see some cartoon princess seeing her reflection in a rippling pool singing to herself as little butterflies float around her head. Not quite as cring-inducing as "After All These Years", but damn. When the band kicks in, it's not too bad...but still sounds like it belongs in a musical. Even though it's executed well, I don't like it. Like Dennis DeYoung, Elton John and Andrew Lloyd Weber in a Disney love-fest.

Anything Is Possible - Way too long for this kind of song, but this should have been the first lite moment on the album...it works better than Tantra. A nice tempo and the chorus is decent, but not quite there, IMO. While I like it better than Tantra, it's still a little by-the-numbers and generic.

Resonate - Too long and unexciting. Like Edge Of The Moment, it's trying to come off passionate and intense, but this time just comes off pedestrian. The chorus is better than Chain Of Love, but as a whole it kind of comes off weak again.

She's A Mystery - This I like. I like the vibe, the strumming acoustic groove, Arnel's melodies...but it should have ended at 4:50 before that heavy part at the end kicks in. That part was just unnecessary and smacks of Neal wanting to just solo some more.

Human Feel - Once again, way too long. There's no need for this kind of song to be nearly 7 minutes long. "What's missing is true emotion" seems to be the theme of this album. No real chorus, but lots of guitar solos. This song should have faded out at 3:35. Everything after this mark is redundant, IMO...which might have been a cool live moment as a jam ending or something, but on record to listen to over and over it's a skipper.

Ritual - Should have been the opening song, IMO. Nice up-tempo rocker with an energetic melody. Probably the closes to what your average person expects from a Journey record. I like the piano touches and the vibe...still could have been trimmed down....start a fade out around 3:55.

To Whom It May Concern - Musically, this is the best ballad on the album. Why it's buried at track 10 is a mystery. I like the chorus. I am not sure how I like the lyrics. I get what they're trying to do, but it seems a little forced (much of the lyrical content seems forced, actually...it just sticks out more here). Good song, though...again, fade out around 3:45...it's too long.

Someone - the last song on the CD*, and it finally sounds like Journey. This should have been near the front of the album, not the closing track (TWIMC should have closed). The chorus is good, the vibe is good...great Summertime track. Probably my favorite song on the album.

* - >> I need to check my iTunes at home. For some reason, Venus didn't make it on my iPod and only after 3 full spins am I now noticing it. But if I had to guess, it's a rocking instrumental with a lot od Neal shredding on it...am I right? <<

OK, there's my review/opinion. Take it for what it's worth (which isn't much). I think the songs would have benefitted from having a producer trim them down a little (or a lot) and reeling Neal in a bit. The playing and performances are very strong. Neal is obviously abundantly gifted as a guitarist (like we didn't know that already) and everyone (except the producer) did their jobs well. The songs are just too damn long.

Honestly IMO, at this point, Neal needs to just accept the fact that the public has a certain perception of Journey. While I certainly don't want to put the band in a box, there has to be some realization of what Cain called "the legacy sound". The band has always experimented a little here and there...which I get. But to pack a whole album with 5-6-almost 7-minute "epic" rockers blended with some half-cocked, cosmic, pseudo-spiritual theme and then tack on a couple of catchy tunes near the end , IMO, is sort of a not-so-subtle thumbing of the nose at the Journey audience.

So, if I may, a message to the owners of the band:

Neal: We get it dude. It's your band. You never wanted to be in a ballad or pop band. You wanted to be a guitar hero. You wanted to Rock. Fine...whatever. But if you're going to continue making Journey albums, please understand that while a little experimentation is necessary and even expected by the fans (Troubled Child, Can't Tame The Lion, People & Places, In Self Defense,, etc), a whole album of "solos, solos everywhere" and "look at me" licks are better served by your solo albums. Protect the legacy because, whether you wanted it or not, it's yours.

Jonathan: you don't write for Disney. Ease up on the "epicness" of the ballads a little. I get it, you're an artist and have to create. But, while you are currently co-owner of the band, take your own advice and protect the legacy sound...save the Broadway stuff for your own albums.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JOURNEY - ECL1P53   JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am

Excellent writing and enjoyed the review, I find it interesting that you felt the songs where too long, I don't not as yet own the album but I personally loved that on their last album, the focous was on more guitars. It to me gave it a heavier vibe that I was excepting from Journey, the last Journey album I heard prior to 'Revelations' was , the reunion 'Trial By Fire' which also had (by Journey standards) a bit more focous on guitars.

I am going to buy this album at some point and see what I think of it, but I enjoyed reading the review and made me want to go out and buy the album to see if I agree.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JOURNEY - ECL1P53   JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am

This one is much more in the guitar direction than even Revelation was...much more.

I wrote that after 3 complete spins...during the 3rd spin actually.

My main gripe, in reading my own review again, is A- songs are just so long (which, as a Dream Theater fan, you'd think would not bother me) and B- the intensity and emotion being put forth in the songs failed to connect with me on my first 3 spins...it seemed forced. On a technical level, the music is very well written and skillfully played.

My opinion could be clouded by my expectations which, even though I like to think otherwise, I have expectations from established bands and when they take a sharp left it doesn't always jive with me immediately. Some bands lose me completely (Queensryche) and some bands keep me coming back (U2)...

I'm giving Eclipse a fair chance (even playing it now)...we'll see if my stance changes at all. The melodies are good...I find myself singing them...it's just, again, not what I expected. Hopefully I can connect with the emotion of the album as it's intended and "get it".

I still don't like the Disney-vibe on "Tantra"...it sounds like it's straight out of a musical.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JOURNEY - ECL1P53   JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:34 am

Even more guitars then 'Revelation" ? Wow, I did not think Journey could get anymore guitar heavy then their last album.

I have one Neal Schon solo album on cassette, and truthfully, at least to me it was terrible.

I always felt Neal Schon is an underrated axe man and I am glad to see him stretch out but I cannot disagree with you, when I think of Journey I am not thinking guitar hero, I am more thinking about the songs, and in Journey to me what stood out the most where the melodies and the vocals, at least in the version of Journey I grew up with.

Again, I have not heard the album, but being a guitar fantaic, to me, more guitars even better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JOURNEY - ECL1P53   JOURNEY - ECL1P53 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JOURNEY - ECL1P53
Page 1 of 1